Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cybermind

First-try Demo Contest #16

Someone for maxdemo? After another 2-hours long playthrough I'm completely frustrated with all of canyon-part secrets, except for one with piggies.

And difficulty is too pathetic for regular gameplay. Should be raised up for release, imho.

2Memfis it is mouselook lump, probably.

Memfis said:

And why my demo weighs more than Yak's/scifista's/etc even though it is shorter than theirs?

I play with keyboard, no mouse. I turn by occasionally holding movement arrows. That's surely less dense on recorded data than if you hold the mouse the entire time and move with it.

Ah yeah, maybe it's the mouselook thing.
So you guys didn't use mouselook? I thought all these caverns were completely impossible to navigate without looking down. Can't even see what you're stepping on.

scifista42 said:

That's surely less dense on recorded data than if you hold the mouse the entire time and move with it.

No matter, tic length is fixed.

Yes, Memfis' demo contains mouselook data, so that's why it weighs more.

2Hitherto: here is pre-release version (it does differ only visually in some places) and skepticist's max-run for it (though he had found only a half of secrets by himself, so I've learned him how to trigger the others, especially the canyon ones).
And yes, I have deliberately lowered the overall difficulty of the map (I wanted to test not the player's skill against monsters, but his persistence) and current thing placement will go to "Hey, not too rough" skill level on release version. Of course, I will make HMP and UV more difficult to play. Just look, if I have made this level too difficult on FDC, there would be too much DNF demos.

Grats, Veinen, well played.
Damn, I was ready to cut off my tongue yesterday for ever saying that this contest needs longer maps. Fucking exhausting, was ready to turn the game off several times but for some reason kept persisting.

@Memfis, cybermind: But I have watched Memfis's whole demo, and I haven't seen him looking up or down at all. (Only swinging left and right a lot. :P) I used PrBoom-plus v2.5.1.4 to play the demo.

here it is, i couldnt play yday.
90minutes i got all keys, and i got lost again... map is okay, too easy, too much powerups, never really risked my neck, but the areas are too similar, complex to understand and remember where u have been and where not.
i quitted near the end (???) just few monster left and i really had no idea where to go lol
0 deaths

ps: id like to see an uv max video of this, since i found only 3/12 secrets

blob1024tls.zip

I think maybe you can only see mouselook in demos in glboom-plus.exe. Not sure.

Btw I only now noticed that the IDDT cheat is changed in the wad. Good idea cybermind. :)

You need to have the prb+ mouselook option itself activated to see it used in demos.

Memfis said:

I think maybe you can only see mouselook in demos in glboom-plus.exe. Not sure.

Btw I only now noticed that the IDDT cheat is changed in the wad. Good idea cybermind. :)

yo personally i hated it lol, because i was completely lost and tried to help me that way I admit it... but I guess out of 90m 20-30min are of me losing the route

cybermind said:

current thing placement will go to "Hey, not too rough" skill level on release version.

Then I'm happy now )

2Memfis - Do you have mlook enabled all the time from beginning or switch it sometimes?

I only use mouselook when I really need to look down. Usually it's off because I find it uncomfortable (and unnecessary).

Watched skep's demo. As expected these missed secrets are extremely hard to find (and looks not very realistic imho).

gg and thanks for organizing cybermind. Upon finishing I felt I did fairly well but definitely not 1st place well... The lift puzzle room seems to have been the downfall for many a player, including Demonologist. A shame really, he was doing very well up until that. I didn't waste much time with that particular room but I had similar issues with other parts instead that cost me some time.

Also glad to hear that difficulty will be raised for a final release as the competition version was really quite easy. I do understand the reasoning behind keeping the difficulty lower for the competition though.

ah yea. the difficulty was low, but it was perfect this way with such a long map. don't get me wrong, i'm siding with veinen about this. ill be watching one of the faster demos with a valid exit soon to have an idea... unless someone makes this uv-max.. come on come on :) I usually do so for the fdc contests, but i cant in this case for the secrets.