Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
antares031

Any wads similar to Cyberdreams?

Some people may don't like the wad called Cyberdreams, but I think it's really unique one; Seriously, what kind of wad can kill numerous Cyberdemons without using BFG9000, rocket launcher, or even a shotgun? I played this wad for the first time in 2002, and I've played it again recently. It still gives me a unique experience that other slaughter maps can't. So I want to find some first person puzzle wads that similar to this good-old wad. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Perhaps, is there a possibility to make a sequel of Cyberdreams? I want to know.

Yeah, Arch-Vile jump was made mainly for the hardcore crowd, you'll need pretty damn good skills to beat it.

For something a little different there is ROOM.

Linguica said:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/megawads/avj is based around archvile jumping, so it's kind of similar although far more difficult and finicky and unfun in my view.

Just tried that one. Some parts that combining arch-vile jumping and rocket jumping were pretty clever. But since I'm not good at arch-vile jumping, I doubt that I can beat the whole levels. Like you said, It's far more difficult to beat. :( Maybe I need to set a hot-key to give me a megasphere so I don't need to load the game constantly.

Memfis said:

......For something a little different there is ROOM.

I LOL'ed when I realized I can jump myself by punching my face. xD The only problem I had was to beat the level. I killed myself with bullet and couldn't beat it. Later I realized that I need to get rid of armor point and get my health lower, than I need to pull the trigger. It was a short one, but hilarious to play.

Anyway, Thanks for the suggestions, guys. And of course,

MetroidJunkie said:

I imagine a ZDoom sequel to Cyberdreams could have some potential to it.

I second that. But It'll be really difficult to design a creative one.

There should be a wad that is centered around the various hitscanners (spider masterminds, SS's, zombies) and making/preventing them to shoot switches for you while all you have is a fist. But it won't go as a full megawad, since there are few things to do with this concept.

Hitscannerdreams? Anyone?

mrthejoshmon said:

Just hit up fellowzdoomer's community proje....

Too bad my maps I made for it have gone to waste, had some interesting concepts for them as well.

Obsidian said:

Somehow It reminds me a wad called ROOM above. Too bad that it was too short. I was enjoying the concept of MAP05, and it was the end. :(

dew said:

In my opinion, playing same level for nine times(certainly there are some changes of monster placement and weapons) didn't work for me. But I must give a credit for making theater themed level.

scrapple said:

lol I've never thought to play bowling in Doom. It's a little bit different that I was looking for, but It was hilarious. Not to mention that power-ups made the game even more enjoyable.

Again, thanks for suggestions :)

joe-ilya said:

There should be a wad that is centered around the various hitscanners (spider masterminds, SS's, zombies) and making/preventing them to shoot switches for you while all you have is a fist. But it won't go as a full megawad, since there are few things to do with this concept.

Hitscannerdreams? Anyone?

can hitscan enemies even hit switches? it has never happened to me.

Out of vanilla linedef actions, hitscanners can trigger action 46 - "GR: Door Open Stay". Doomwiki confirms.

By the way, I noticed that doomwiki doesn't mention action 47 - "G1: Floor Raise to Next Higher Floor (changes texture)" in the list of floor actions.

scifista42 said:

By the way, I noticed that doomwiki doesn't mention action 47 - "G1: Floor Raise to Next Higher Floor (changes texture)" in the list of floor actions.

You should edit it in then??

all you need vor AVJ.wad is motivation, endurance and time.

I know 2 people who struggled beating map01 and 02 when it came out, but they liked it and after 1 year they could beat each map within a few tries (except of some very tricky maps like 28, 30 and 32 of course).

Actually back then I did not know how to make the first maps even easier without making them too boring... Still I do not know. Maps 04 - 32 were made for the hardcore crowd like you say it Memfis ;). I guess but do not know it that each speedrunner which is familiar with arch vile jumps are able to beat the first levels in a short time.