Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doominator2

Carnage in Paris

FireFish said:

I wasted my time posting links to chinese information because of that.

My point is that China is not going to send "boots on the ground" as the saying goes. Having some journalists out there, or even perhaps some special forces people taking a look at what's happening, isn't the same thing as an actual military intervention. Your information does not contradict my point.

GhostlyDeath said:

Well, we did learn one thing in this thread: Some doomers absolutely hate western culture, yet they play Doom.

I think you're confusing culture with politics. I dare say this is a crass fallacy. We may like all those movies, songs and games produced from that country, but we may not like that its military is destabilizing another country.

printz said:

I think you're confusing culture with politics. I dare say this is a crass fallacy. We may like all those movies, songs and games produced from that country, but we may not like that its military is destabilizing another country.

Its not just that though, he essentially said he doesn't value the lives of westerners.. That's a step or ten more extreme than simply being against the leaders and military.

Tarnsman said:

Europe had THOUSANDS of years of killing each other over dumb shit that ended with the two biggest wars we've ever seen.

"Thousands" would generally imply "multiple thousands", not "less than 1500".

Anyone else frustrated by the republicans view on the refugee crisis? I can understand security and all that, but isn't liberty and freedom for all supposed to be our main goal as a country? Or is it just perverted by xenophobia and racism...

The main thing that frustrates me about it is people thinking the refugees and terrorist groups are the same thing.. The only legitimate worry about an influx of refugees is an influx of dole-bludgers, which is a very separate issue. Some people seem to think the refugees are literally smuggling bombs and weapons and shit in for their next attack. I wish I was joking.

Gez said:

"Eagles of Death Metal" are not a metal band at all, by the way. The band name is ironic, and the artists in the band are also behind the similarly named "Queens of the Stone Age".

Here in Brazil the TV News (from the most praised channel) said that the band's name is "Angels of Death Metal". I lol'd and felt ashamed at the same time.

I mean... I make a lot of english mistakes too, but a multi-billionaire tv channel should be more professional.

GhostlyDeath said:

Well, we did learn one thing in this thread: Some doomers absolutely hate western culture, yet they play Doom.

Doom, A game made by a man whose people were wiped out by early settlers in America.

So, should everyone pay for the sins of their grandfathers, or just westerners? Just trying to decipher where prejudice begins and ends, that's all.

Nobody said pay for the sins for anyone. Just pointing out a random fact. John Romero was native American.

By the way, seems like the passports were fake and all the guys involved were european nationals. No suprise there. Well white supremacists, you got your wish. More dead brown people.

<pedantry>
AFAIK - Romero still is native American.

Mechazawa said:

Doom, A game made by a man whose people were wiped out by early settlers in America.

Intoxicated or exhausted? Could have been worse. If they'd been eliminated (which is what an old fart like myself usually interprets "wiped out" as meaning), Doom would have lost one of its Software Engineers.
</pedantry>

Mechazawa said:

By the way, seems like the passports were fake and all the guys involved were european nationals. No suprise there.

Yeah no surprise, all Europeans are famously evil. But hey, at least the plentiful white supremacist population of Doomworld can sleep a little happier tonight!

Gez said:

My point is that China is not going to send "boots on the ground" as the saying goes. Having some journalists out there, or even perhaps some special forces people taking a look at what's happening, isn't the same thing as an actual military intervention. Your information does not contradict my point.

I never even once claimed it did. A lot of problems in threads like these come from people not reading what they are responding to or understanding it.

firefish said:

their main plans seem to be the development of their society and increasing their technological existence. They might not be willing to attack directly, but there are connections. Sales. Pacts and agreements.

I was not targetting you in the first place. You yourself are not posting here just to seemingly attack.

Cynical said:

"Thousands" would generally imply "multiple thousands", not "less than 1500".

In the thousands of years before year 0 tribes where fighting tribes, killing tribes, borders being made, borders being destroyed... From year 0 to 1945 you have 1945 years of serious fighting. Romans, tribes, midle-ages, Europeans invading and populating America to create the U.S., the "world wars" which arent actually the first or the second, etc.

I would say thousands of years to mentally develop and get to a point where speech, books, writing and certain technologies to wage war became possible. our stability only depends on war and the fear for a new war.

Protester said:

Anyone else frustrated by the republicans view on the refugee crisis? I can understand security and all that, but isn't liberty and freedom for all supposed to be our main goal as a country? Or is it just perverted by xenophobia and racism...

I'll put it this way. If someone told me that 2 out of 10 of those M&M's in that bowl are poisoined, I wouldn't eat any of them.

Ashstrodamus said:

I'll put it this way. If someone told me that 2 out of 10 of those M&M's in that bowl are poisoined, I wouldn't eat any of them.

lol the M&Ms.

You got that from Facebook?
http://i.imgur.com/6ukiqTL.jpg?1

Did you know? The people who made that simply repurposed an older meme:

And while we're at it. How many refugees were among the terrorists? At most, one if we're being generous: one of the terrorists did purposefully register at refugee centers, several of them in fact, using a fake passport. Fun fact: some other guy got arrested recently in Serbia for using an identical fake passport. The terrorist was not an actual refugee, but he did go through the refugee vetting process, so let's suppose that counts. Well, that's still just one. All others were not refugees. Also, all of them so far that have been identified are European nationals, born in Europe.

Finally, and related to the M&Ms meme, all of them but one were men.

Gez said:

lol the M&Ms.

You got that from Facebook?

Nah, though I did get it from a conservative youtube channel in the comments XD I no longer have facebook. Got rid of it a year or two ago.

Ashstrodamus said:

It's a shame Halloween is behind us, I'd have offered them to trick-or-treaters.

Ashstrodamus said:

If someone told me that 2 out of 10 of those M&M's in that bowl are poisoined, I wouldn't eat any of them.

except these are human beings, not candy

kinda ruins the whole analogy really

No it's cool to compare people to candies and claim murderous ones are poisoned candies because apparently living in society with people is the same thing as eating them. It's also completely cool to pull massively inflated statistics out of one's ass (if two out of ten Syrian refugees are terrorists, then it follows for the nine millions refugees total there's a massive army of 1.8 million terrorists, wowzers, and to think so far we've caught exactly 0 of them, because all known terrorists have not been refugees but, I repeat, natural born European citizens).

I mean, 2 out of 10 seems like a very different percentage from 0 out of 9000000; but what do I know? I'm not a professional statistician.

Let's apply the same reasoning to other domains. Columbine, Virginia Tech, Red Lake Senior High, Northern Illinois U, Sandy Hook, Umpqua Community College, Oikos U... Two out of every ten gun owners are going to rampage and murder innocent students. Go on, have a handful! Or maybe, for the same reason of safety that we need to turn back refugees, maybe we should round up all gun owners and preemptively put them in concentration camps? The logic is flawless, isn't it? You can't argue with M&Ms from youtube comments.

More M&Ms: Looks like we've gotta put all the weed smokers in camps, too.

Doomkid said:

except these are human beings, not candy

kinda ruins the whole analogy really

I dunno. There are some women out there with a mouthfull of dicks.

Ashstrodamus said:

*intense laughter*

FireFish said:

In the thousands of years before year 0 tribes where fighting tribes, killing tribes, borders being made, borders being destroyed... From year 0 to 1945 you have 1945 years of serious fighting. Romans, tribes, midle-ages, Europeans invading and populating America to create the U.S., the "world wars" which arent actually the first or the second, etc.

I would say thousands of years to mentally develop and get to a point where speech, books, writing and certain technologies to wage war became possible. our stability only depends on war and the fear for a new war.

Nah, the Roman Empire was pretty stable, so the period of "Europe infights with itself constantly" was basically 476-1945.

Less than that when you factor in that continental Europe was pretty stable from the end of the Napoleonic wars to the start of WWI.

Cynical said:

Nah, the Roman Empire was pretty stable

Not sure what you mean by stable, the romans were fighting internal revolts and full blown civil wars every generation for hundreds of years.

Quast said:

Not sure what you mean by stable, the romans were fighting internal revolts and full blown civil wars every generation for hundreds of years.

Given how much they were poisoned by lead, I consider the Roman Empire a fucking miracle. I don't believe other any population would have lasted that long under the same circumstances.

axdoom1 said:

A native's view on the refugee crisis:

So, because a mass amount of immigrants fucked everything up for the natives, we should repeat history's mistakes and have another mass amount of immigrants come in?

Don't get me wrong - all these "closed door policy" fanatics are completely lacking in empathy, but by the same token, a mass influx all at once is a terrible idea. This needs to be handled slowly and carefully.. Tens of thousands of financially and culturally displaced refugees all brought over at once is just blatantly stupid. I shouldn't have to explain why.

This delicate process is being treated as something so black and white on both sides of the fence, it fucking pains me

EDIT: Also worth noting, the US can't even keep its own citizens employed and accommodated.. Homelessness rates are pretty high and unemployment rates are staggering - what hope are people likely lacking an education, similar cultural values, money, etc. going to have? I'm not touting this as a reason to deny help to those in need, however its just one of the many points of consideration people seem to just be ignoring. There is no easy solution here.. Unfortunately.

Quast said:

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Given how much they were poisoned by lead, I consider the Roman Empire a fucking miracle. I don't believe other any population would have lasted that long under the same circumstances.

Not to forget that they where attempting to conquer entire Europe. They even took up arms against Britain. The romans where a forced artificial society out for war. Next to Italy most of the member regions where a source for slaves, or forced to live the Roman way. Rebellions, the war against the gauls, murder after murder against roman leaders, the fall of rome... not very stable. After the romans all what basicly happened was death, disease, war on small and larger scales...

And there where Humans before the year 0... thousands of years before year 0.

It is kind of ironic considering what is happening around the world lately.