Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rabidrage

3d floor teleporter

Okay, here is a MUCH smaller file. I noticed that the ZNODES lump took up most of the space after I deleted everything that didn't pertain to MAP01. What's up with that? Seems like it contained redundant information, because it wasn't until after I removed it that all my mods disappeared.

Also, I'm concerned about this in general, just going forward. Modern games take up gigs of space and people have terabyte hard drives--why exactly does size become such an issue? I'm still going to try to get rid of all the redundancies in my files, but I'm also still amazed that it's the cause of so much consternation.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e0m45cu9g9v3lo3/crazystation4.wad?dl=0

rabidrage said:

Okay, here is a MUCH smaller file. I noticed that the ZNODES lump took up most of the space after I deleted everything that didn't pertain to MAP01. What's up with that? Seems like it contained redundant information, because it wasn't until after I removed it that all my mods disappeared.

I have no idea what you mean, but this is what ZNODES is: http://zdoom.org/wiki/ZNODES

rabidrage said:

Also, I'm concerned about this in general, just going forward. Modern games take up gigs of space and people have terabyte hard drives--why exactly does size become such an issue? I'm still going to try to get rid of all the redundancies in my files, but I'm also still amazed that it's the cause of so much consternation.

Usual wad size ranges from several kilobytes to a few dozen megabytes, depending on how extensive the project is. We in this community are accustomized to see these small sizes, and seeing higher ones naturally appears like a disproportionate bloating in context. That might be it.

rabidrage said:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e0m45cu9g9v3lo3/crazystation4.wad?dl=0

How the hell did you get echo on your level? Also. it takes a bit to load..

Echo comes from Thing type 9048. You can set the type of echo you want, too--there are many options. Just place it anywhere you want. There are ways to limit where the echo works and where it doesn't, but I haven't experimented with that yet. What confuses me is that the other levels in the WAD (which have not been shared in the download) also have reverb in appropriate places, but I didn't put it in myself! Maybe it was a feature of WAD2UDMF? I wish I could even remember...

Anybody have any idea why it still takes a bit to load after I stripped out all the extra crap? I'm doing something majorly wrong here and I have no idea what it is.

Alright, thanks! So apparently the only solution is to have a second sector act as the return teleporter. Sucks, but if it's the only way it's gonna work, so be it.

If you implemented the teleportation via an ACS script, I'm sure you would be able to prevent the immediate backward teleportation. For example via an "if" condition, checking a variable (or dummy inventory item given to the player) which you previously set to true just before the player teleports, abort teleportation if it is true already when the script is called, then set it to false one tic later or something like that.

Maybe just calling the same script with different parameters for each "direction of teleportation" via ACS_Execute (not ACS_ExecuteAlways) would be sufficient, because if a script already runs and ACS_Execute tries to run another instance of the same script, it will not be called, which is desirable in this case, as the script should be still running while teleporting the player, and only aborting itself after the teleportation is done (maybe use Delay to postpone its termination 1-2 tics later).

That's all well and good but such an approach takes far more effort than it'd actually be worth IMO (considering the area of the map and purpose of the teleporter).

It's also more than I could handle at this point. I've poked around a little bit in ACS, but making a script from scratch is still above my skill level.

As for your fix, BaronOfStuff...here's what I did. I tried to duplicate everything the way that you made it. Still didn't work, so I figured I must have missed something. I decided to check by copying and pasting the sectors and the "Actor Hits Floor" Thing and just changing the tags, and voila! That worked. What tiny detail might I have missed?

Well, one of the dummy sectors was made of two-sided lines, with only one side referencing a sector. I fixed that (by making them single-sided) and then things started behaving.