Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DustFalcon85

20 Years of PlayStation Doom.

Today is PS1 Doom's 20th Birthday! Anyone gonna play that PS port in celebration on it's birthday or listen to it's soundtrack by Aubrey Hodges?

EDIT: How come PS1 Doom's 20th birthday isn't on the Doomworld's front page yet? It should be on there.

What can i say?? Happy birthday to one of my favorites ports of Doom, I couldn't sleep well since the first time I played this game because of its soundtrack, oh God, i love those sountracks. I always sleep listening to Doom/Final Doom/Doom 64 soundtracks by Aubrey. He's the master. I really love playing this game on my PSX

I forgot the name of the track, but It's from an TNT level In PSX Final DOOM. I think It was Lunar Mining Project, the track on that level at 4 AM In the morning scared the living shit out of me.

That's also the track that plays on Deimos Anomaly and Perfect Hatred in the first game.
and yeah, that played a big part in making Lunar Mining Project my favourite map back then. It went perfectly with those dark corridors and the mineshaft.
I think I used to just walk around after killing everything because I just didn't want to exit. Always a sad time when I finally went to open the blue door :P

Songs called Breath of Horror, btw

It's probably the best track In my opinion, listening to It at 4 AM In the morning can really spook you, honestly.

I dunno why, but I think Final DOOM (PSX) was enjoyable for the most part, the one episode that really did bore me was Plutonia, the rest I had a blast with.

I might replay PSX DOOM and PSX Final DOOM sometime. Maybe DOOM 64 and DOOM 3 too.

I actually prefer PSX Final Doom to PSX Doom/Doom II. Master Levels and TNT outshone Plutonia easily though, which is funny because that's like completely backwards from what most people would say when talking about the PC counterparts.
I feel like the PSX style was better suited to ML + TNT, much more so than Plutonia.

I just love how both games have very different layouts, and the levels are smaller. It makes for a different DOOM experience.

Piper Maru said:

My favorite Aubery Hodges track from the PSX Doom is Sanity's Edge (Toxin Refinery) truly a haunting tune.

My favorite will always be Mt. Erebus, just a masterpiece of ambient.
For Final Doom it has to be Geryon, that track always freaked me the hell out back in the day.

vinnie245 said:

My favorite will always be Mt. Erebus, just a masterpiece of ambient.
For Final Doom it has to be Geryon, that track always freaked me the hell out back in the day.

Also loved the song used in Hell Gate. So scary with those Darth Vader-like breaths.

Eris Falling said:

I actually prefer PSX Final Doom to PSX Doom/Doom II. Master Levels and TNT outshone Plutonia easily though, which is funny because that's like completely backwards from what most people would say when talking about the PC counterparts.
I feel like the PSX style was better suited to ML + TNT, much more so than Plutonia.

This x1000000

Eris Falling said:

I think PSX Doom wasn't helped by the fact much of the Doom levels were taken from the simplified, dumbed-down Jaguar version. If they had converted the PC levels anew, they'd probably have ended up much better, even if they would have had to be simplified as well.

Gez said:

If they had converted the PC levels anew, they'd probably have ended up much better, even if they would have had to be simplified as well.

Well then, if I ever have nothing better to do again...

Eris Falling said:

pritch said:

This x1000000

At one point I had two copies of PSX Doom just so I could play multiplayer with my cousin. I sadly had to pawn one of them off along with a good chunk of other psx games. (bad times..) But I still have the other copy as well as PSX Final Doom floating in my game box.

Now my copy of PSX Hexen, that got left behind by accident back in Cali when I moved back to S.D. I think my brother still has it.

He better...

sgtcrispy said:

At one point I had two copies of PSX Doom just so I could play multiplayer with my cousin. I sadly had to pawn one of them off along with a good chunk of other psx games. (bad times..) But I still have the other copy as well as PSX Final Doom floating in my game box.

Now my copy of PSX Hexen, that got left behind by accident back in Cali when I moved back to S.D. I think my brother still has it.

He better...

Damn, sorry about those other games. But I guess Pawn Shops are an quick way to get money, I know that feeling.

But I always thought It was ridiculous where you had to connect two PS1s Into an link cable just to play some DM or Coop.

Cyanosis said:

When PSX Hexen requires an entire memory card to save the game.

Not as worse as buying two PS1s for you and your friend (unless they had one) JUST to play PSX DOOM multiplayer.

But what you mentioned sounds like an nightmare.

Tritnew said:

But I always thought It was ridiculous where you had to connect two PS1s Into an link cable just to play some DM or Coop.

No different than having to link one PC to another, really. Don't tell me that you think a split-screen option with a game like Doom would have been feasible on the PlayStation?

Piper Maru said:

I wonder what Aubrey Hodges is up to these days, is he still composing music for video games?

I think he worked on Madden NFL '09 In recent years, but he did do over 200 soundtracks, so who knows what he's up to.

Gez said:

I think PSX Doom wasn't helped by the fact much of the Doom levels were taken from the simplified, dumbed-down Jaguar version. If they had converted the PC levels anew, they'd probably have ended up much better, even if they would have had to be simplified as well.

Personally, I've always preferred Jag Doom's texture set over UD's, but that's just a personal opinion.

It's hard for me to say which Playstation Doom I prefer, they're both awesome. It's a good thing we have the PSX Doom TC, you can play them back to back, plus the Lost Levels.

I love the Playstation Doom. The PC version may be the better one but PSX Doom still holds up great with the colored lights and the awesome music by Aubrey Hodges.
My only gripe with PSX Doom is that they use the Jaguar maps for the Ultimate Doom levels and that it lacks that cool texture with the tortured faces....

scalliano said:

Personally, I've always preferred Jag Doom's texture set over UD's, but that's just a personal opinion.

I rest my case.

Piper Maru said:

Why was the Arch-Vile excluded from the PSX version of Doom?

Technical limitations with the PSX hardware.

Every image in the game (textures, flats, sprites, HUD elements, etc.) that is used in a level has to be stored in the video memory. The arch-vile, with its detailed animations for attack and resurrection, exceeds by far the number of sprites most monsters have (it has 29 frames after all, most of which have several angles). That makes it a very expensive monster to use; chances are that if they had put it into the game they'd have ended being only able to put it in levels featuring only arch-viles as monsters, or maybe arch-viles and one other enemy type...

For a similar reason, monsters with very large sprites (like the spider mastermind) are very rarely used in levels with a diverse monster zoo.

I've always wondered why they didn't draw new frames for the archvile to get around that, like an animation that could double as both the attack and resurrection states. Or just remove half of the rotations and flip the sprite like most of the Doom 1 monsters do anyways.