Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chris Hansen

THT: Threnody - released!

Well I like playing your out-of-control maps so I'd have to say that sounds really sweet and I'm glad your involved with this project man!

I look forward to the frustrating attempt at recording a full demo for it ;p

Also, it's nice to hear you're making it an E1 map; most maps so far strike me as middle-to-late maps.

dobu gabu maru said:

http://i.imgur.com/qFi5126.jpg
Chipping away at it bit by bit. It's suffering the usual dobuâ„¢ curse of growing out of control the more I work on it, but I'm still trying to keep it a simple/easy E1 map (no boss monsters or manc/arach/AV). Oh, and stock textures only, because it allows me to experiment with wacky combinations, like DOORTRAK for trimming.

Looks cool! I like the way you handle the stock textures and that it's suitable as an early map.

@Chris Hansen - Here's some midis I went through on my computer and picked some of the ones I thought were the best. Admittedly, I thought Blue Eyes by King Diamond was by far the most Doom-friendly, but those Necrophagist midis are nuts and I think they would be great for slaughter or semi-slaughter maps. I just dumped them all in one folder in dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nprsqga2asqudeh/AABAia0xifhD8moikFB53GEfa?dl=0

Ashstrodamus said:

@Chris Hansen - Here's some midis I went through on my computer and picked some of the ones I thought were the best.

Great MIDIs, do you mind if I use "King Diamond - Father Picard" for my map? It sounds doomy and awesome and should fit well.

Gothic said:

Thanks to Chris Hansen for telling me about some texture misalignments on my map. Download here the latest version of "Fort Halderman".
If there is more misaligned textures here, they're probably left that way on purpose, unless they look really weird.

Thanks for the update! There's still a couple of mis-alignments lurking in there (linedefs 870, 872, 892, 899 and 891). Actually, the entire elevator area needs some attention :) Also, there are two Former Humans stuck to each other on skill level 3 right near the start (thing id 164 and 808).

didy said:

@Fonze, Thanks for the demos and your comment. If you play with infighting at the end, than there is too much ammo left. But if the RL or plasma gun isn't picked up than ammo can be tight. I deleted the red key, there is a switch, now. It was an idea from Chris and I think it is better without the red key. Yes 69 candles, see spoiler-posting.
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1524647
^also slightly updated version

I like the changes you've made to the level! Subtle, but very efficient :) My only minor gripe is that the Chaingunner (id 555) gives you the chaingun before you find it lying on the floor in sector 1159. Kinda ruins the surprise of that stash of goods :)

Ashstrodamus said:

@Chris Hansen - Here's some midis I went through on my computer and picked some of the ones I thought were the best. Admittedly, I thought Blue Eyes by King Diamond was by far the most Doom-friendly, but those Necrophagist midis are nuts and I think they would be great for slaughter or semi-slaughter maps. I just dumped them all in one folder in dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nprsqga2asqudeh/AABAia0xifhD8moikFB53GEfa?dl=0

Thanks! I like the King Diamond midis best and Surreily already claimed one of them, so it's already a success! :) I'll post a link to them in the OP.

Surreily said:

Great MIDIs, do you mind if I use "King Diamond - Father Picard" for my map? It sounds doomy and awesome and should fit well.

Cool, nice! I look forward to it.

Gotta love ole King Diamond. If only I could find a nice "Into the Coven" midi though... Aw man that guitar...

I've been debating heavily on what song for our little WormHell, I've kinda been feeling a few of these metallica midis, but I know they're about on par (reputation-wise) with BD, so perhaps my search will continue. Life's not easy when you like the non-overplayed songs of a vastly overplayed band, heh.

Quick question.

Does Boom support text panels on use? Or scripts in general? Because I was thinking of the player interacting with something and a panel of text appearing on the screen with a description of what is on the object.

Google keeps thinking I mean Doom Doom source port editing details, not Doom boom source port editing details.

Preliatus said:

Does Boom support text panels on use? Or scripts in general?

No and no. The closest to a script in Boom is a voodoo doll on a conveyor belt, triggering linedef actions in a hard-made order.

Best thing to do is consider Boom just like vanilla, but limit-removing and with a handful of extra features, such as sector scrolling (conveyor belts), silent teleports, deep water, properties transfer, translucent middle textures (sprites too), generalized actions, and a few other things. You can refer to this page here on DoomWorld for more info:
http://www.doomworld.com/tutorials/boom.php

Or the Doomwiki site here: http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Boom

Sector scrolling is insanely powerful, though. It lets you do a lot of complex scripting that would be impossible in vanilla, such as a single W1 linedef firing off a complicated sequence of actions.

@Fonze - I went through some of your level and it's quite long it seems. I've got some rather long cool midis I omitted because of their length that you might would be interested in. Let me know.

I haven't read too much into what the requirements were and the source port used. I'm guessing Zdoom? Not sure, but isn't Zdoom basically Vanilla? Anyway, I was getting a ton of HOM's but that was on Prboom+.

Yes it is a long level, and that's only 2/3 of it >.<

That's exactly what I'm looking for in a midi, something long (>7 minutes, preferably >10) that has some good, rockin' parts and some slower, more groovy/suspenseful parts. Many songs should fit the bill and I have a few in mind, but I'm always open to listen to some more.

And the requirements of that map are Boom format with the TNT iWad. Many maps here use the TNT iWad, though some substitute it with the SepTytex.wad resource file and use Doom 2. All are Boom format.

Vanilla and zDoom are just about polar opposites in the Doom community. Vanilla is the most basic and has many restrictions, some of which Boom does away with, while zDoom and its derivatives are far advanced source ports which allow a much greater amount of customization and change certain gameplay things, such as hitboxes and such.

Fonze said:

Yes it is a long level, and that's only 2/3 of it >.<

That's exactly what I'm looking for in a midi, something long (>7 minutes, preferably >10) that has some good, rockin' parts and some slower, more groovy/suspenseful parts. Many songs should fit the bill and I have a few in mind, but I'm always open to listen to some more.

This certainly fits the length requirement, at 49 minutes, though I'm not sure if it's really what you're after. Sort of goes back and forth between the occasional suspensful bit, and crazy fast stuff.

Check your PM's Fonze. I wanted to make sure you get these midi's I hunted down. I hardly ever notice my pm's when I get them. Not sure if others have some pop up notification, but all I get is the tiny pm# at the bottom of the page.

Thanks for the recommendations y'all!

Been checking them out and I like 'em all; just makes the decision that much tougher, heh.

To Eris:
Is there a way you could post this in a downloadable file? I've tried a few different approaches, can't seem to download it from either your link or the angelfire link that your link goes to on their actual page. I managed to get a GP4 file, whatever that is... (Guitar Pro 4?) but I'd like to be able to listen to it in a more reliable format (mostly due to its length). Also the fact that I'd never be able to use it short of hooking my handy-dandy recorder up to my laptop and letting it run for 50 minutes, lol. Even then, it'd record an audio file and then I'd have to go through the trouble of trying to convert that back to midi and you see where this is going.

Either way, I'm loving the songs you guys have linked; got any more?

I have made a little more progress on my map.

Spoiler

This is one corner of the central square's outer hallway. I am playing around with some rock textures here - you can see them on the left. The area that the player is standing in is supposed to be based on the room just above the blue square area in the original Mill. I think I'll also stick the little building the player gets stuck in here as well. Also, some crates, they're totally not hiding a secret...

I always find it rather difficult to pull off a proper looking design when dealing with taller, vertical structures. Kudos to you, sir, for doing it to perfection! Looking forward to playing that level!

Yep, I literally found 0 that run, haha. I forgot about the blur sphere at the end. Prolly for the best anyway; that thing's gotta mean instant death in that final fight. Perhaps an Invul sphere there and something in the environment to take up more time on the run across the bridge would be a better secret there. So a fast, attentive player can get, say, 5 seconds of invul to start the fight rather than a blur sphere which seems like a bad idea when the next position is in the middle of a bunch of projectile-based enemies. Given that it's an unmarked secret (or at least I can't find any hints to it aside from a foreboding following area), it would make sense for it to be a bit better of an item. As for something to take up time; you could put in a monster or three I suppose, but itd prolly be better to put in a small environment-based time-eater. For example, a small series of timed-lifts and platforming, or a short, but slow puzzle, or even a really slow lift. You can prolly come up with something better than that, but just as a general idea. Or keep it the way it is and make that blur sphere a blue armor.

I'll look forward to playing this new revision :)

Ok, here is the last version of my map:
Download

The zombies on HMP are no longer stuck, and some texture changes on the elevator at the blue key area.

Angry Saint said:

Tyvivec version 3:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/7b6zaaztzme9g83/tyvivec003.wad

With really small updates thanks to the comments of Fonze and Chris Hansen.

Gothic said:

Ok, here is the last version of my map:
Download

The zombies on HMP are no longer stuck, and some texture changes on the elevator at the blue key area.

Cool guys! I'll give them a whirl tomorrow.

I too have made a couple of changes to my level according to some feedback and help from Fonze and other. Actually, it was a couple of weeks ago, I made those changes... I just forgot to upload the new version. Shame on me! But hey, the changes aren't that noticeable anyway, but that's not an excuse for not uploading it, so here it is.

Angry Saint said:

Hello,

Tyvivec version 3:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/7b6zaaztzme9g83/tyvivec003.wad

With really small updates thanks to the comments of Fonze and Chris Hansen.

@Fonze: I've watched your FDA, very interesting. And you found no secret :-P

There are four torches that have moved approx. 128 units to the right near sector 344, so that they are now standing in the middle of the bridge. There are also three sectors that are not closed. They are 73, 986 and 991.

Maybe this other music fits? It is maybe my best one so far, without much randonMESS like others.
I made it thinking in Ty, after reading the post saying that he died. It might have been sad.

Moderators: edits should at least make a thread again unread for others, if not bump the thread a page or so.

Chris Hansen said:

There are four torches that have moved approx. 128 units to the right near sector 344, so that they are now standing in the middle of the bridge. There are also three sectors that are not closed. They are 73, 986 and 991.

Corrected!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/tiepe2nbdn2x5b2/tyvivec003.wad

(I moved the bridge and forgot about the torches. For the open sector... I don't know, now they are closed)

Hey guys! Sorry about being so slow. But I have just finished a bare layout for a map to contribute. I spent a couple of days on it so I'm not sure how well it will work out. It also came out a little bigger than I wanted (what else is new). But I think I'll shoot for it being somewhere around the first 10 maps in terms of difficulty.

Here's what it looks like right now; let me know and I'll happily upload the .wad for you guys to look at.