Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Doom Alpha chat brinksmanship thread

I haven't bother with the Alpha since I Think I'm screwed anyway(?). I preordered Wolf:TNO and registered the code to my email, but later changed ISP, mean that email adress is gone now. So I guess I'll just have to wait till the final release of Doom 2016?

Demonicus666 said:

woot im in guys alpha time cant wait till 8 pm!!!!
My steam name is KingGoji1984

See you in a little bit :D

Nice, just when I thought it was over for me, I MIGHT have a chance anyways. :)

Just got Invited to the Alpha and downloading It right now, holy fuck It's taking forever but It's worth It. Hopefully I'll come In at 10 PM or 9.

Got my free alpha code for PS4 a few hours ago...download is about 2.3rds done but it'll still be worth it :)

Not my cup of tea at all; that could easily be the level they chose and the way they set up the loadouts, but suffice to say I won't be playing Doom for the multiplayer, and it hasn't really jazzed me up for the single player.

It's fast at least. Actually thinking about it some more and just jumping into actual Doom quickly, the better word is chaotic, not fast.

TheGamePhilosophe said:

It's definitely not fast. Not by Doom or Quake standards at least.

It's faster than modern shooters. It doesn't need to be as fast as the old games, though it could be just a bit faster.

I got It downloaded a few hours ago, but It crashed before It could even start at all due to my graphics card, people said that putting on High end settings on the NVIDA control panel, but I had to uninstall It because the settings never saved after I got done with them.

It's like, 1 AM where I live, I doubt the multiplayer will be running by the time I fixed everything. I may have another chance when they do another test on the 5th.

AirRaid said:

This test is up for 4 days man, you've got time.

I know that, but I'm someone who's been wanting to play this Alpha for a while and It kinda bums me out that I can't play It. Here's the error that pops up.

Tritnew said:

I know that, but I'm someone who's been wanting to play this Alpha for a while and It kinda bums me out that I can't play It. Here's the error that pops up.

http://i.imgur.com/OdiBuZH.png

I got that error at first too. I installed the latest Nvidia drivers, and then in the Nvidia control panel I selected "High-performance NVIDIA processor" as the preferred graphics processor for the DOOM alpha ("Zionx64"). The alpha then started without errors.

For me the alpha runs pretty smoothly at first and is completely playable, but eventually the performance decreases until it becomes a slideshow. Manually lowering the graphic detail with a custom cfg has no effect on performance it seems, but that'd be due to the video card (it's a 2 GB GT 630) not meeting the minimum requirement.

I have a fairly decent laptop which should run the game at 40-50 fps. The problem is the Alpha barely touches 10. I have seen some other laptop users are reporting the same issue, if someone has a fix please share. If your laptop runs the game OK tell that as well.

Well the Alpha is still unfinished, so compatibility issues will be present (such as frames per second). The laptop I use CAN'T run Doom 2016 on the lowest graphics (Well, maybe at 10-20 fps).

If you got the Alpha (I'm sure you did), then why not wait for the official release? I'm sure your problem will be resolved by id Software by then.

Is this thread supposed to be a "Report Specific Bugs Here" for a game that hasn't even released yet, or been looked at by the modders?

TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

I got that error at first too. I installed the latest Nvidia drivers, and then in the Nvidia control panel I selected "High-performance NVIDIA processor" as the preferred graphics processor for the DOOM alpha ("Zionx64"). The alpha then started without errors.

For me the alpha runs pretty smoothly at first and is completely playable, but eventually the performance decreases until it becomes a slideshow. Manually lowering the graphic detail with a custom cfg has no effect on performance it seems, but that'd be due to the video card (it's a 2 GB GT 630) not meeting the minimum requirement.

Ah, I lowered the Antilasing for me and It worked somewhat. Really had a blast with the Alpha and I'll be playing the Beta once It comes out. I have full support for DOOM '16 now.

But when I first saw the error, I was so bummed and angry. Till I looked up the reason and It was exactly what you said. But I had to reinstall NVIDIA In order to play It.

But Yea, I do have tbe minimum requirements, but It's 2.5 GHz Instead of 3.3 GHz.

Either way, I had quite a blast.

mikons3 said:

I have a fairly decent laptop which should run the game at 40-50 fps. The problem is the Alpha barely touches 10. I have seen some other laptop users are reporting the same issue, if someone has a fix please share. If your laptop runs the game OK tell that as well.

It would help if you posted the actual specs of your laptop, while complaining about the performance of your laptop.

@mikons3: if your laptop sports a gtx 860m or a 960m, there's few chances you're going to be able to run the alpha. It's a known issue on id's side, but they're not going to do anything about it, I'm afraid.

As for me, it runs quite smooth (around 40fps) on 1920x1080/TXAA with my GTX 660 Ti. Can't really complain. :)

DooM_RO said:

It's faster than modern shooters. It doesn't need to be as fast as the old games, though it could be just a bit faster.

This^

DooM_RO said:

It's about the same speed as Halo, it just feels faster because of how small the level is.

Morpheus said:

@mikons3: if your laptop sports a gtx 860m or a 960m, there's few chances you're going to be able to run the alpha. It's a known issue on id's side, but they're not going to do anything about it, I'm afraid.

As for me, it runs quite smooth (around 40fps) on 1920x1080/TXAA with my GTX 660 Ti. Can't really complain. :)

I see, hope it will get solved for the second alpha or at least for the release.

I'm gonna break NDA here, because I think this will help people...

If you're playing on a console, I recommend using the "Strafe" controller preset. That preset allows you to jump and aim at the same time. That will obviously heighten your skill ceiling and ultimately make the game even more fun. I've been performing a lot better since I made the change.

P.S. From what I hear, on PS4 the alpha is going Open because of all the PSN store/download issues that people with alpha access have been having. So if you didn't get an invite it doesn't matter, enjoy. ;)

7hm said:

It's about the same speed as Halo, it just feels faster because of how small the level is.

Isn't Halo floaty as fuck, though?

Jaxxoon R said:

Isn't Halo floaty as fuck, though?

It's nothing like Halo to me, expect for the Multiplayer Marines designs, I think It goes at Unreal Tournament speeds. The only time you ever go floaty Is If you double jump.

...Though, I don't think talking about It doesn't mean I break NDA. I'm not posting screenshots or anything.

Is it just me or does the aesthetic style vaguely remind of Simplicity or BTSX? I don't know why it reminds me of those WADs, it's kinda strange. I think it's because while it looks realistic it also looks sort of...random? It also has that prefabricated feel to it.