Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Mutiny [Community Project]

This is looking quite good so far, I swear that once this is finished I will end my Doom-playing hiatus just to play it.

40oz said:

Do any of these seem particularly engaging to work on?

The bottom two options sound interesting, as they give the mapper the chance to actually map, and would probably require the least effort on your part. The thing placement option seems especially good as it gives you some control over weapon/monster progression and difficulty levels still leaving the mapper plenty of freedom. The top three I think are probably exactly what is happening within mutiny already- all the mappers here have different skills and put them into their maps.

I'm not working on anything right now, how many vacant map slots remain?

Updated the resource pack to v1.7a - Download

Notable changes include:

- Angry Saint's BRWINDxx requests,
- BRONZE0, which is the same as BRONZE1 except it tiles better horizontally (I had the patch in the wad, i just never used it.)
- Reverted a few textures back to the way they looked originally per traversd's request.
- Remade the orange rust texture which will effect all textures that use it as a base -- now tiles better vertically and horizontally, offset so the bright orange gradients down from the top and bottom instead of outward from the center, and has a little extra contrast to look cooler. Hopefully it doesn't negatively effect your maps!

40oz said:

[list]

• A barebones layout with minimal detailing, just a large functioning map with monsters, weapons, obstacles/traps, basic puzzle solving, a start and an exit. Just needs some detailing and texture alignment to make it look pretty.

• This is something I find funny to do: detailing. I offer myself for this.

40oz said:

• A complete map with textures, detailing, lighting, etc. but no monsters or weapons. Weapons, items and monsters is all that is needed.

• Putting monster is too boring for me. I skip this

40oz said:

• A detailed map with monsters and lighting that is completely uniform-textured, meaning the same texture is applied everywhere. The mapper needs to carefully select what textures they'd like the map to use, align and upper/lower unpeg them as needed.

• This looks horrible. I can't imaging creating a map with uniform texture. I skip this too.

40oz said:

• A map with no sectors. Monsters, items and everything else placed on the grid. Requires a map to be built around the existing things (you may move the things around if you feel its necessary.)

• This seems to be very interesting. It could be a new community contest: you give the objects positions, everyone must create the better map conserving those positions.

40oz said:

• A main central hub area with multiple doorways outward, and an exit room requiring the key. The map needs a start room going into the central hub and surrounding doorways need the map built outward for the player to get access to weapons/keys/other places of interest.

• I don't understand the challenge to the mapper in this last scenario.

BTW, thank you for the new texture pack. I sent you via PM a layout with the idea, but not updated to the new textures. Let me know what you think.

Bit late to the party, but I really like 40's suggestions.

I think those would all be cool ideas for a community competition at some point. I love placing things, so the idea of a finished map and just add things sounds right up my alley. On the other hand, I know over-all detailing is my weakest point, so map-sets involving that would be good for me to do to specifically practice that one thing.

I guess my point is that people can use it as a chance to specifically do what they want to do, either for fun or for practice. I say keep those ideas in mind for the future.

As for each of the different scenarios you put out. The first would be great for me to practice specifically my detailing. The second would be right up my alley to have fun. The third would be kinda cool; just a texturing thing. The fourth would be really cool to see how people envision the level around the monsters. The fifth sounds like it could be really cool, but you would need to put further restrictions out and possibly also allow re-texturing (only) of the central hub.

Like I said, definitely keep these ideas in mind for the future. I'd love to see all of the different approaches to the same thing from the members here.

Well I sent a PM to AD_79 like 2 weeks ago since I left a portion of the map to him asking if he was done with it or if he'll just send me what was already accomplished. Still waiting on an answer... hopefully he answers soon because of this :P

Yeah, I haven't heard anything from Springy as to how the map's going. Hopefully he's done some cool work with it.

Noneellama and I are still working on map10, and I've done some work with Doomkid and Impboy's map. Think all the map slots are occupied and everything's under construction. I can still help out anyone who wants a break from mapping- haven't worked on anything for this project for a few week now

Obsidian said:

Yeah, I haven't heard anything from Springy as to how the map's going. Hopefully he's done some cool work with it.

Still working on it just haven't done anything in a couple of weeks. I started a new area from scratch and need to implement monsters, textures and get the big elevator done and she's good to go.

ATTENTION MUTINY TEAM

I would like to apologize for the long hiatus. My college semester is coming to a close shortly and the weight of my assignments is gracefully being lifted off my shoulders.

With that I have even better news!

I'm in the process of playtesting and reviewing all submitted maps (I think I have only one or two maps left to go.) which will identify any errors, and expand on changes that I think should be made. Some maps need more work than others. The ones that need more work have a more general review which will eventually be followed up, the ones that need less work have short bullet point lists highlighting specific errors that warrant being changed.

For the time being, please estimate an amount of time you think you'll need to complete your map and post it here after your review is posted. Please keep you estimated time within one month so we can finish the project in a timely fashion. The shorter the time, the better.

Reviews and more details are coming soon. Thank you everyone involved for being so patient!

Glad to hear that 40! I hope you do well on your exams!

I love this CP so far, but if a deadline is so soon I may have to drop out. I'm not sure yet, but my time is already stretched thin as it is and if push comes to shove I don't want to hold this project back. Give me about a week to see if I can get my other stuff caught-up and I'll get back to you.

Shipyard by Pinchy and Tarnsman

As I understand it, this map has been stagnating as Tarnsman has been off the grid lately. The map in its current state has no monsters or items, and thus is lacking skill levels which makes gameplay unable to be judged. Also in it's current state does not have any linedef actions that I could find, making doors and lifts inoperable as far as I know. The layout is large and sprawling at a whopping 1.3MB for a single map. I'd probably say that it's about three times the size that I think would be appropriate for a MAP02. It's very open-world and non linear which gave me little sense of direction, with and without NOCLIP on. With monsters I could see this map potentially taking close to 30 minutes to complete unless the zone is made intentionally desolate with a few sniping imps, a couple stalking cacodemons or lost souls, and maybe some zombiemen here and there to litter the ground level. The large sprawling shipyard is a pretty cool sight to see the large scale, but to be honest I'm not particularly sold on the sector-heavy real-life objects such as the crane, the freighter, the boats, the forklift, the houses, benches, trash cans, pumping stations, etc. especially against the otherwise large empty vistas. The name "Shipyard" is used a bit too literally in this particular design and I think a more abstract traditional Doom IWAD style mapping approach towards the name would unify the map better. Especially since the textures in the pack aren't very well optimized for that particular job of simulating real-life things, it seems like you're trying to fit a square block through a circular hole and in turn, creating a butt load of work for yourself. The map could also do the dilution of colors to harmonize everything into a consistent color scheme too. I do have to say the corugmet shipping crates look great though and any future revisions of this particular map slot will definitely need them somewhere :)

This map is a pretty interesting experiment with texture usage, but I'd say that on the whole, scaling the map down would be much more difficult than doing another more minimalist map from scratch.

The Firewall by Breezeep and AD_79

I think I reviewed this map once before and I don't really have much qualms about it. I think it's a terrific map and optimizes the texture pack very well. I did have a run through it on Cooperative mode and found two specific details that make it a little tricky for multiplayer.

1. The ammo is a little lacking for multiple players. I'd add some extra shell boxes in the start area so the player get more mileage out of their shotguns. I'd probably call for the addition of a secret area. Since your map doesn't have much free space, I'd recommend something like a mis-textured wall that lowers to reveal a teleport pad, which teleports you to a bountiful ammunition storage unit stationed somewhere off the map. I'd recommend puttin the ammo in the storage unit in individual alcoves or in closets rather than piled on the floor where players can step over all of them at once.

2. This lift makes for a nasty entrance for everyone but the first player to use it. My recommendation is that immediately after using the lift, have a walkover line trigger a switch that allows this door to be opened, so that other players can enter from the opposite side as well.

Other than that, I'd say this map is good to go!

Generator by NoneeLlama and dt_

I had a lot of fun with this map. I'm really enjoying the dynamic that recurs where if you take one item you can't have the other. I also like the layered traps too. That's a pretty cool design. I think the layout flows pretty well, while demanding you to think a little. I think the map could use a little cleaning up in the texturing department. Some areas looked great while others had some nasty misalignments, or paired two very unlike textures together, or seemed a bit lacking in detailing. I did run into a couple errors that I'd recommend be fixed. I think it might be worth changing the water in the generator area into lava. Perhaps you meant for it to be electrified but it caught me off guard. Lava would communicate the "this area will kill you" message better. If not, some flashing lights and "High Voltage" warning signs around the falling hazard areas could do the trick as well. Speaking of the generator area, there doesn't appear to be a way out of there! I'm not sure if I missed something but the first time I died was because I was supposed to raise a bridge I didn't know about. The second time I went after the bridge was raised, the exit door wouldn't open! There's also what seems to be a stair building switch that is broken. I haven't looked at the editor yet so I don't know for sure that these are bugs or errors in judgment, but if its one or the other, it warrants a change somehow. If you'd like for me to look further into it, I will. Some other things that I think warrant some changes are:

1. Getting the rocket launcher puts you at a considerable disadvantage, I'd recommend starting with maybe 4 or 5 rocket boxes instead of 2, while generously littering rocket boxes elsewhere throughout the map.

2. There's no discernible difference between skill levels as far as I can tell. I'd say this map is a pretty solid HMP-style, so swap some imps for revenants, zombie men for chaingun guys, etc to toughen it up for hard, and maybe add some extra health and ammo for easy.

3. There are no secrets in this map, I'd call for at least 1. There's a part where the player has to pick between a soulsphere and a megaarmor, I think a secret switch to give the player access to both items would be a generous secret. I'd also totally call for an ammo storage unit stocked full of rocket boxes to make the rocket launcher path more exciting :)

4. A dominating color/texture theme might help tie the map together. There's a lot of dark gray as a base color but the accent colors seem to vary a bit too much. Perhaps a strong blue theme could really make this map shine!

5. In the start area, you could get an awesome view of that generator if the catwalk with the imps were lowered. I think being able to see it from the start would be a good way to give the player a landmark to navigate with and give a sense of what he's supposed to be doing here.

6. The map could do with a climactic finish. Maybe you could trigger some kinda full-scale monster ambush once the player has acquired all three keys. Some sort of monster flood or cyberdemon battle to conclude the map in a fun and positive way :)

These cover some of the more general things that will help direct the map into being a real crowd pleaser. I'll probably go into more detail covering the more minutiae later on.

Faceless Corporation by Angry Saint, Corsair and dt_

It goes without saying that this is a pretty damn great map! The vertical scale is really impressive and makes you feel really small against the evil corporation. I like it a lot! The gameplay department hits all the right notes for me. Weapons and keycard pickups have traps associated with them, there's plenty space to move, and it's just fun to look at. I'd probably go so far as to say it's too good in the way that captures the essence of a really artfully-designed modern map before looking like something from the 90's which makes it contrast pretty heavily against the other maps in the set. The map uses darkness and soft light gradients which makes it look more sinister, as opposed to the garish high contrast bright colors against pitch blacks that makes it look more arcadey. This is a matter of interpretation though so I don't think it's really fair for me to objectify that quality as something that warrants a change.

All I can say is that I think this map could probably use a safer and more diluted texture theme. If you ask me, a strong emphasis on CEMENT on the interior of the building would SERIOUSLY complement the lighting well! In fact, I might just use your map as a mockup to test the hypothesis. If you aren't feeling it, the most recent version of the texture pack features many more wall variants to make choosing a consistent style easier for you.

The one other thing I would suggest is that Easy is a little too easy, particularly the 4 imp teleport thing when you get the super shotgun, and the arachnatron that was once a spider mastermind. I don't think it would hurt terribly to beef those encounters up a smidge. Great job otherwise!

Untitled by Doomkid, Impboy4, and dt_

This is a great map! I love the catwalk style showcased here, as I mentioned in a recent thread, and I'd love to see if the feeling of being suspended really high in the air can be developed further. I'll have to sit on it for a while before I can come up with some good suggestions.

I'd say this map would fit very nicely in the mapslot titled "Construction Site" considering the warning treadplates, and the orange rusty construction-style color. I think if you were to attached some orange support beams some of the buildings to give the look of some metal scaffolding, and deconstruct them a little to look more like they are still under construction, it could be really great!

The gameplay is fun and the linedef actions are used very inventively, especially the yellow key area. There's also some pretty awesome strafe-jump opportunities to play the map in unique and non-linear ways. Unfortunately I'll have to talk you out of the voodoo-doll crushing falling damage simulation, as voodoo dolls are unfriendly for cooperative play on some source ports. Perhaps there's a more safer alternative to punish the player for falling other than certain death. We might need to brainstorm some ideas for that.

I think this map might need skill settings implemented, and some bonus cooperative monsters, but other than that there's a very solid foundation with little work to be done to land this in the wad. Nice work!

Wildcard by purist and traversd

Very nicely done! I love everything about this map, the high contrast lighting, the jagged mountains, even the more garish but tastefully industrial texture choices. I think the colors really work well and traps and obstacles culminate to make a very pure and exciting doom experience! I especially like how the rooms are much more spaced out than they were in previous versions, and the texture selection and detailing makes it that much cooler. The difficulty of this map works very well too! Since the map is geared towards later in the mapset, given the sky texture used, I'm wondering if swapping nukage for blood or lava would complement the warmer desert look of the level.

I found a fence near the archvile trap that isn't impassable, and I noticed a difference of three monsters in the monster count between skill 2 and skill 4. I'd probably say that the map could use some softening for easier skill levels, and some more meat-shield monsters like barons and mancubi to tack on for multiplayer. Other than that I'd say this map is good to go! Great job!

Compactor by Pavera and jmickle66666666

I had to edit the wad to remove the new textures included, and replace them with some from the Mutiny resource pack in order to fairly review this map.

However, this is a great utilization of the texture pack and an even greater representation of the map title! By far the best example of crusher usage in a doom map, as the crushing ceilings make everything infinitely more fun, and even gives the map a heavy industrial sound! As I was playing I did get lost a few times, but mostly a fun kinda lost like in E2M2 or in E1M7. I think the crushing hazards have something to do with the excitement holding firm even after everything is dead. I think it may be potentially problematic and overly maze-like for coop players though. If it's possible you might want to think about how the map might benefit from some extra windows or knocking down some walls so the player can get a better look at the layout from the outside.

I did find a single mistextured wall, and I think the map might have to be shifted a few pixels for the compactor control floor switch to align.

In gameplay, I did find this particular arachnatron that teleports here to be a little cheapo, and the shotgun guy pit to be a little unusually harsh, especially since it is followed by a shit ton of revenants. I think they might be okay for Cooperative settings but they're a bit rough for single player. Maybe imps would be better in that shotgun guy closet instead of shotgun guys. Also in my attempts I was killed by the archvile just after the compactor control switch about 3 times in a row. I really hate that guy, perhaps an archvile would be more reasonable.

Other than that, this is a very solid map and utilizes the texture pack very well! Nice job!

Only details I think are seperating this from getting into the wad is that skill levels are going to need to be implemented, and you'll need to add some additional meat-shield monsters to thicken the map up for coop.

Downtown by joe-ilya and ChaingunnerX

This is a pretty fun and hectic map. The interiors of some of the buildings look really cool but the exteriors and the whole outside area in general seems pretty lacking. I personally would have much preferred a map with more extreme height variation so as to make the buildings look taller like in MAP13: Downtown or MAP15: Industrial Zone. Several other buildings are pretty featureless, flat, and subpar even compared to the Doom 2 IWAD. Something tells me this map either didn't take very long to make or it might have been a map rejected from some other mapset, as it seems a little unfitting for the style going on in this project, despite it using the textures from the resource pack.

A map titled downtown is a great opporunity for bright lights and heavy contrast and tall buildings and exploration, which this map in particular has very little of. I think with a lot of work this map could be repurposed in a very positive way, but I'd argue that it would be more work to salvage than it would to start a new map with a different direction in mind.

Slums by nxGangrel, TraceofSpades and Pinchy

This map starts off very promising. I really love the wooden decrepit shantytowns that make up the first half of the map. The subway is a nice transition piece for the map too, though I did find the switch puzzles a little confusing inside of it and the traps to be a little heavy for such an early map. The later portion of the map gets a little strange though. It took me close to 15 minutes to realize there was a hole in the fence that divides the later part of the map. I think there needs to be a better sort of visual clue to direct the player where to go. There's a lot of blocking scenery like impassable-lined fences, barricades on the streets that I found to stunt my movement quite a bit better than they are at offering cover.

I can see some ambitious design ideas but they aren't executed as well as they could be. The gate in the middle that divides the entire later area in half appears to be the main feature, but the player doesn't interact with it and it's a bit of an eye sore. I'd also argue that the gameplay gets pretty heavy handed in a way that seems a little unorthodox for such an early map. I'd also like to see that wooden-shanty town style developed more later into the map, with perhaps a way of connecting the areas together, as the map kinda follows a straight line on rails after the player gets the blue key in the beginning.

I think this map has some potential but the later half could use some work particularly on it's core design rather than polishing to make it look better.

Breaching the Unknown by KevinHEZ and dt_

Great map! Not much to say here! Difficulty setting are implemented, though I think the map could benefit from scaling the easy difficulty up a smidge. Removing the hell barons that guard the yellow and blue keys, and the cyberdemon at the exit is a bit too much. For easier skill levels, you simply want to shy away from revenants, chaingunners, and mobs mostly. You could probably bring back some of the bigger monster so long as the player is given some extra armor and health items :)

The non linear open layout works well for cooperative, though I think the map could use an additional secret area for mass ammo storage (the same recommendation as I gave Breezeep and AD_79 in Firewall) and some beefier meat shield monsters to make it extra fun. Other than that I'd say this map is good to go! Great job!

Updated the resource pack to v1.7c - Download

Fixes a couple misc errors and mostly features a series of useful variants for main walls, such as BROWN1, BROWN96, BROWNHUG, BROWNGRN, CEMENT, and STUCCO.

Hi, good to see you back here 40oz, haven't worked on any maps for this project for ages now. Regarding the maps I've worked on- I've done the majority of monster placement and I guess my easy may be too easy- I set it so my wife (who has only played doom a handful of times) can complete it reasonably easily without cheats. Ill run through them and beef them up a bit. Map10 'generator', and the rooftop style map are both unfinished, map10 in particular has changed massively since that post.

I remember we spoke about that voodoo doll gimmick, ill think of another way to fence the player in without taking the suspense element away. I think some good mean looking mid texture fences (chain link, barbed wire) would fix this without taking too much from the atmosphere. Noneellama is still working on map10, but it is not yet complete

Hey dt_, in the last few months I've finished a lot of b00lshit preventing me from working on this - If you want a hand with the rooftop map I'm happy to provide it, or if you know where you want to take it, that's fine too :)

Doomkid said:

Hey dt_, in the last few months I've finished a lot of b00lshit preventing me from working on this - If you want a hand with the rooftop map I'm happy to provide it, or if you know where you want to take it, that's fine too :)

Hi mate, I've took heed of 40oz's instruction to adapt the map to remove the fall damage mechanism, and added a few minor texturing and detail tweaks in the last few days. Ill not get chance to get to me computer for a couple of days but ill pass it over to you when I can. Definitely needs skill modes implementing and some more detailing, especially in the southern area

40oz said:

Wildcard by purist and traversd

-the jagged mountains
    -I'm wondering if swapping nukage for blood or lava would complement the warmer desert look of the level.
    -I found a fence near the archvile trap that isn't impassable
    -and I noticed a difference of three monsters in the monster count between skill 2 and skill 4.

A new version with some jagged mountain updates coming soon.

I tried other animated floor types but slime01 is probably the next best I think, but then we are over-browned ;) Lava needs all the lighting changed and we lose contrast in the cavern. blood just doesn't feel right for the industrial theme.

Fixed the fence now thanks!

Skills are not fully implemented although the overall count difference is more due to a large group of low teir monsters on skill2 in place of a smaller group of mediums.

Thanks for the feedback :)

traversd said:

Thanks for the feedback :)

Seconded. And thanks for putting this map into the home straight Trav, I've been quite happy to leave it in your capable hands for a long while now but if there's anything you want me to take a look at, let me know.

I'd be interested in contributing some mapping effort to this if there's an opportunity to do so. There any spots going? What's the status with map 14?

At the moment MAP14 hasn't been making any progress in the last couple months as far as I've been informed. There's an unfinished map by Archi in the OP that you may choose to complete, or you're welcome to start a new one on your own.

As per the rules (second post on the first page of this thread) you are required to work on your map with at least one other person other than yourself. You can begin arranging with someone to work with now, or you may start on a map yourself, post screenshots, and wait to see if someone is interested in collaborating with you.

Here's an update on my part. I won't be able to work on any of my maps until I'm finished with the current project I'm working with (redux). When I am done with it, the first thing I'm going to do is edit and finish map 03. I'm finishing the level solo, but trace's and probably pinchy's work will still be there, just heavily modified.

If there is a short dead line, I'm probably going to have to drop out like fonze.

I'm glad to hear the project is still active and on some final stages.

I'm busy with other projects so I'm not able to work on the maps anymore, but actually I think only gameplay was to correct in Faceless Corporation, and this is not exactly something I'm good on.

Updated the resource pack to v1.8 - Download

Added a few flats I wanted in my maps, and edited the statusbar to be more gray.

I decided to go ahead and start constructing maps to fill in the slots, so here is one that will be used should activity not spring up within the next week or so.

UNTITLED MAP!

I'm loving those screenshots 40! Glad to see progress on this thing, especially with my neglect to it. I never made the time to continue editing MAP07 after nxgangrel sent it over last, so we both should have the same version. I'll post it up here and you can do whatever with it. Take my name off it, though, as I didn't do nearly enough for credit.

I do mildly hope to see the Mutiny signs I made left in, though that's such a small thing I don't care for any credit there either. I hope I can make some time later to do some playtesting to continue to help this project along because I really like it so far and I can't wait to see if finished (which is also why I'm dropping out; I can't be one to hold this thing back).

One last thing, idk what ever happened to the MAP01 that you, Jimmy, and I were working on but if you do still use it you can take my name off that as well; you two did most everything anyway.

I truly wish you the best of luck with this thing from here 40 and with any luck (or effort if I'm to be brutally honest with myself) I'll be able to pop back over here every now and again to playtest a bit for you and all the fantastic mappers involved with this project.

Cheers man

I'm interested in making a grimy urban map for this project if anyone wants to pair up to fill a slot?

Oh look! More maps! This one was going to be for another project, but I decided not to use it, so I donated it to Bloody Rust, which appears to be abandoned, so I skinned it with some Mutiny textures and now its here!

YET ANOTHER UNTITLED MAP!