Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AndrewB

Best PC Gamepad?

Just wondering if anyone knew what the best gamepad for PC use currently is. Something USB I would imagine, and something useful for SNES emulation. I hear there's some kind of PS2-like controller for a PC which is supposedly quite good? Mega-good info please.

the_Danarchist said:

I havn't used a gamepad since they had those old Gravis things.

I still use those.

AndrewB said:

Just wondering if anyone knew what the best gamepad for PC use currently is. Something USB I would imagine, and something useful for SNES emulation. I hear there's some kind of PS2-like controller for a PC which is supposedly quite good? Mega-good info please.

hammerhead fx

RailGunner said:

hammerhead fx

Thanks for your itty bitty tiny bit of info which barely qualifies as useful. Appreciated.

Some time ago someone posted a converter you could use to hook your ps2 pad up to the pc. I'm not quite sure, I think it was Seph, but it was months among months ago. Google mind find something though.

I don't have a PS2 so that obviously means nothing to me. I'm thinking along the lines of a Gravis Gamepad Pro USB. 10 buttons, basically the same layout as a SNES controller except an extra set of L/R buttons.

I thought about using our regular Gravis Gamepad, but then I realized that my laptop has no MIDI port.

I've been using an M$ SideWinder. One of the mid-levle models. Set up like the old Sega CD, with two rows of three buttons, as well as a single pair of shoulder buttons. Counting select and start, ten buttons in all, plus a digital crosspad. Really kinda bare-bones, but it works for console ports and emulation. I got it for about $25 at EB about four months ago; with my luck, it's prolly down to $15 by now.

AndrewB said:

Thanks for your itty bitty tiny bit of info which barely qualifies as useful. Appreciated.

10 buttons, vibration, customization, auto code buttons, and other little features.
$30.

AndrewB said:

I don't have a PS2 so that obviously means nothing to me.

Oh, well you could get one seperatly for under $30 bucks, and as far as I know, they are the best and most comfortable controllers you can get. Your choice though, and it also is a bit much for a controller.

wtf? air conditining? what kind of pansies need that?

/me hammers rusty nails through his controller.
Play like a real man!

IMJack said:

I've been using an M$ SideWinder. One of the mid-levle models. Set up like the old Sega CD, with two rows of three buttons, as well as a single pair of shoulder buttons. Counting select and start, ten buttons in all, plus a digital crosspad. Really kinda bare-bones, but it works for console ports and emulation. I got it for about $25 at EB about four months ago; with my luck, it's prolly down to $15 by now.

Guess what? We have a MSidewinder. It sucks so much I never use it. But then again. I'll go take a look.. It's just that the way the handle revolves and curves... it's too awkward. It's stupidly awkward and it's insanely dumb. There's no way I could get used to something so brainlessly putrid in ten weeks.

I'm getting along OK with keyboard/SNES type setup, but I seek improvements.

I picked up my sidewinder for like 15 bucks, but the best gamepad i ever had was a Interact Hammerhead FX, I could use my PSX emu really easy with that thicg it had analog and all that good shit. The only problem was i had to get rid of the bitch after i upgraded to XP. No Driver. oh well

Right now I'm thinking about the Gravis Gamepad Pro USB, which is roughly the same shape as a PS1 controller, but the same layout as a Super NES controller except there's an extra set of L-R buttons.

The other one I'm looking at is the Thrustmaster Dual Analog Gamepad. It's basically a rubbery Gamecube controller with USB. It all depends on what I can find at a local computer store.

IMHO, the BEST PC gamepad is the Gravis Gamepad Pro. It looks feels and PLAYS EXACTLY like a PSX controller. Nothing beats it for Doom control for me. Silverwyvern has the exact same sentiments about this, so there's 2 big reccomendations right there. Look for it! I find it much more comfortable then the Microsoft Sidewinder by a longshot.

Thanks for the tip, but exactly like a PS1 controller? I thought it only has a digital pad, not analog. Doesn't the PS1 controller have an analog stick? Er, nuts.

True. In this case, it is more or less exactly like one of the earlier PSX controllers. Before they got analog and dual shock. Look in the Castlevania SOTN manual, there's a pic of the type I'm talking about. Or any of the early PSX games for that matter, but my bad in not mentioning that detail. the gamepad does come with an optional analog stick, however. It goes in the middle of the D-pad.. making the controller kinda awkward. So.. yea. It's got analog suppourt, but it's not too good. Just stick with the D-pad, you'll do just fine! :)

Well me too, having more than one choice can only be better :)

Stepmania readme:
The primary advantage of these adaptors is that they do not
require special drivers and require no configuring.

Hmm, so I'd have to buy a controller AND a convertor. And it has XP issues. I'll put it in the "maybe" pile. Thanks.

Sweet. But what I really wonder is.. Can I use like 2-4 of these things on multiple USB ports for multiplayer emulation?