Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scifista42

Doomworld Mega Project 2015 - Now on /idgames

@DoomLover234: I personally think that the word "beta" would refer to a playable, completable and nearly finished product, but whatever. Your map should get to such a state before the end of the year, though.

This project has no quality control for its submissions, but I hope we all strive for good-ness rather than bad-ness, so consider the following feedback to be just my personal thoughts and suggestions for possible improvement (and take seriously at least the bug reports):

The combat was monotonous and tedious more than anything, in addition to some very underwhelming symmetry and repetitiveness. The player gets insufficient weaponry to deal with the monsters reasonably fast, and the challenge he has to face is not much exciting, given that the monsters just stand in his way and camping is well possible. Yep, I have discovered the teleports to the Cyberdemon, though I already killed him by an SSG beforehand, safely camping behind his throne. I didn't like the blood river cave where I had to drop on top of a Baron's head, the same cave also contained an invisible teleporter! Once I grabbed the yellow key and teleported to an Archvile, there were 2 rows of closed bars behind me, filled with HOMs, that prevented me from backtracking to the blue door and the rest of the level. Then, well, the map implicitly ended, as I couldn't continue anywhere.

scifista42 said:

@DoomLover234: I personally think that the word "beta" would refer to a playable, completable and nearly finished product, but whatever. Your map should get to such a state before the end of the year, though.

This project has no quality control for its submissions, but I hope we all strive for good-ness rather than bad-ness, so consider the following feedback to be just my personal thoughts and suggestions for possible improvement (and take seriously at least the bug reports):

The combat was monotonous and tedious more than anything, in addition to some very underwhelming symmetry and repetitiveness. The player gets insufficient weaponry to deal with the monsters reasonably fast, and the challenge he has to face is not much exciting, given that the monsters just stand in his way and camping is well possible. Yep, I have discovered the teleports to the Cyberdemon, though I already killed him by an SSG beforehand, safely camping behind his throne. I didn't like the blood river cave where I had to drop on top of a Baron's head, the same cave also contained an invisible teleporter! Once I grabbed the yellow key and teleported to an Archvile, there were 2 rows of closed bars behind me, filled with HOMs, that prevented me from backtracking to the blue door and the rest of the level. Then, well, the map implicitly ended, as I couldn't continue anywhere.

First of all, I agree wtih most of your opinions.

Really? There's nothing good about the map? Makes me question!

Kidding. I have fixed the teleporter before you posted it, and the blue key is supposed to be locked out because the average Joe would be like "aw HELL naw i got teh blue key I gotta go blue door" but no, not this time :) Thanks for the HOM info, I don't know why it's still there tho! Also, the Archvile teleports and it is automatically selected to (also monsters), so there's no way that Arch-Vile doesn't teleport. That Arch-Vile is a big bug, and I don't know how to fix it (since this is not UDMF). I will rework that blood river cave, I got a bit out of my plan.

I planned to make a castle-ish map, which kind of explains the symmetry, the thrones and the music, as well as the neatly lined up enemies. Camping is possible because I might put many monsters and many high-HP monsters in the map, but there's no way I'm not gonna arm the player! Also, I think I give the weapons as you need them. To make it tense, I give you the Shotgun for the Cacos. Since you kill the Cybie by telefragging (presumably), you get the SSG to fend off the Barons. I have also learned a lot about health and armor balance than before a year when I uploaded TRACPLAG.wad, so I keep the player armed sufficiently throughout the map.

Thank you for your feedback and I appreciate it! I know I'm not an expert yet, and this is a pretty average map so far, but trust me, it will fill your criteria and you will be satisfied with it. This is just a third of it.

THANKS! ;)

I have come up with a new advertisement for the thread title. As I said before, I'll be accepting new maps and map updates while it's still year 2015 anywhere on Earth! All of the following people who signed up but haven't contributed yet, or anybody completely new who didn't sign up, you still have a chance! This project is always looking for MORE maps, and accepts ANY maps! :D

And here is a condensed list of the people who promised a map but haven't delivered it YET:

4shockblast
AD_79
Cadman
Cell
cortlong50
Cyberdemon531
Dave The Daring
Dgemie
DMGUYDZ64
Eris Falling
Getsu Fune
Joe667
karacho
Netherstorm
NuclearPotato
Obsidian
Philnemba
Razen
scifista42 (yep, myself too)
sincity2100
Solid Snake
Squadallah
stewboy
Tactical Stiffy
the_miano
The_Trigger
TimeOfDeath
Toxie Rocks

EDIT: For reference, Anywhere on Earth implies that 2015 truly ends when it's 0:00 on January 1st 2016 in UTC-12 timezone, which is

>>> 12:00 UTC on January 1st 2016 <<<

so that's also the deadline for all submissions to this project. :)

I've been fighting the urge to map for the last few days because I have more important shit to do, but then earlier today I couldn't help myself. And here I am, yet again, rushing to have something complete by a short deadline. Have a screenshot of an hour spent in DB:

About 20% done so far, just need to start fleshing everything out and start connecting everything together. If I don't complete this by the end of the year please call me a dumb failure and never let me live this down!!

scifista42 said:

I have come up with a new advertisement for the thread title. As I said before, I'll be accepting new maps and map updates while it's still year 2015 anywhere on Earth! All of the following people who signed up but haven't contributed yet, or anybody completely new who didn't sign up, you still have a chance! This project is always looking for MORE maps, and accepts ANY maps! :D

And here is a condensed list of the people who promised a map but haven't delivered it YET:

4shockblast
AD_79
Cadman
Cell
cortlong50
Cyberdemon531
Dave The Daring
Dgemie
DMGUYDZ64
Eris Falling
Getsu Fune
Joe667
karacho
Netherstorm
NuclearPotato
Obsidian
Philnemba
Razen
scifista42 (yep, myself too)
sincity2100
Solid Snake
Squadallah
stewboy
Tactical Stiffy
the_miano
The_Trigger
TimeOfDeath
Toxie Rocks

EDIT: For reference, Anywhere on Earth implies that 2015 truly ends when it's 0:00 on January 1st 2016 in UTC-12 timezone, which is

>>> 12:00 UTC on January 1st 2016 <<<

so that's also the deadline for all submissions to this project. :)

I put a message in the forums (on this page I think) basically saying that I was saving this map for either the 2016 edition or a standalone map. Seeing how it turned out now and what I have left to do, it is indeed impossible for me to make it for the deadline without rushing it for release (which I don't want to do).

Just waiting on a friend of mine to play-test my map to make sure nothing is completely broken, but other than that, it's done. Shall be uploading it tomorrow once he's gotten back to me, so I'm game.

scifista42 said:

This almost feels like it's fulfilling the project goals of the Nova series more than the actual Nova series!

Not that's necessarily a bad thing. I do believe with the way this year's Mega Project is heading, it will consists a lot more of up and coming and newbie mappers than any year previous. Just my thoughts.

You know what? Cross me out. I will not participate with an incomplete map. Sorry for doing this but I do not have time for it so sorry! Cross me out if you can, and see you next year (I sincerely hope so)

NoisyVelvet said:

Name: Find The Magic Pixel
Format: Limit removing

This map is not limit-removing. Here is my FDA recorded in PrBoom-plus -complevel 2. After I found the pixel and pressed it, nothing happened and I eventually had to abort the game. I've tried it in other ports afterwards, and it seems to work in -complevel 9 and in ZDoom based ports. So, you'd either need to fix it for -complevel 2, or just proclaim the map Boom compatible. I'd prefer the former if possible (because the wider compatibility, the better), but it's up to you.

Eradrop said:

Made an update for boom users. Should work in prboom now.

Link ; http://www.mediafire.com/download/64oi5exf1daj1zk/Map01.wad

Thanks, indeed it works OK. Now some feedback: Very nice looking map, but I didn't like the gameplay. VERY monster dense map, for example I've found myself hopeless when a Cacodemon swarm flooded the Berserk area I was in and I've quickly ran out of all ammo and couldn't get out. Also the central dark maze was annoying, as well as that precise platforming out of the Berserk trap. Whatever. Obviously it's a map for more slaughter-oriented players than myself, so that I better won't judge its balance and playability.

Alrighty!

Screenie.

Map Name: Morose Tint my World
IWAD: Doom II
Format: Boom
Textures used: Fuzzballfox's Noir Pack
Music: A S3M Module of "Dark Groove Part 1" from Jazz Jackrabbit 2.
Co-op: Player starts only
Deathmatch: No
Difficulty settings: None
Tested in: PrBoom+, ZDoom

Let me know if there's any bugs or gameplay hiccups.

I am really sorry. I wanted to contribute a map, because that was a cool idea to get me working just on anything, to get me started on DooM mapping.

But my job and my girfriend kept me so busy, i did not even have time to hang around this very cool board.

I don't know when i really have time again. May be very soon. But that is hard to tell. Doom is still the only game right now that has me interested in making something myself. But right now, i did not have the time to even start.

I wish everybody a good party into 2016.

OK, heard back from my friend and adjusted a couple bits in response to his feedback, I think it's pretty much ready now.

Author: Pierce 'Finakala' Drew
Level name: Praise the Lowered
Build time: A whole bunch of hours over the last month or so
Editor used : Doom Builder 2
Port: I know it works in ZDoom as that's what I use, but it should work in any limit-removing port in theory, I don't think I made anything that won't work and there's no custom elements. I'm not even sure how to check that kind of thing, honestly.
Difficulty settings: Implemented, more/tougher monsters for UV, more ammo/weaker monsters for HNTR
Known bugs: None that I know of

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ri3y0q88e2y8bho/Praise_the_Lowered_2015.wad

scifista42 said:

And here is a condensed list of the people who promised a map but haven't delivered it YET

I don't think I will finish my map, in this year at least.

Turns out I actually MADE a map WITH AN EXIT! YEYZ!

Thank God I have managed to make it! I thought I'd have no time but then I remembered "Oh yes, I had this map that I had started. Let's finish it!"

There you go: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ujveoebendgch6q/paradise.wad

Author: NaZa (DoomLover234)
Level title: Miner's Paradise
Build time: 2 weeks or sum'pin like that
Editor used: GZDoom Builder r1685
Music: MAP05 from Hell Revealed (kind of fits this role)
Port: ZDoom, many flats are used as textures and viceversa (most notably METAL)
Difficulty settings: None, but it should present you with a challenge!
Bugs: I hope there's none. Notify me if you find some.
IWAD: Doom II
CoOp - No
Deathmatch - Too big and too cramped so no.
Secrets: 9 (some are extremely easy to find, others require using your brain, rewarding enough)

I have learned a lot about placement. The map is not the most symmetrical in the world (how can you make a mine symmetrical smh) and it does have nasty traps when you least expect them and when you expect them there's none.

Good luck with this and I hope you accept this.

Sorry if the map is bad.

Oh, and Jump/crouch: please don't

Finakala said:

Port: I know it works in ZDoom as that's what I use, but it should work in any limit-removing port in theory, I don't think I made anything that won't work and there's no custom elements. I'm not even sure how to check that kind of thing, honestly.

The ideal way to do so is to download PrBoom-plus and run your wad in PrBoom-plus with parameter "-complevel 2" (limit-removing compatibility). I will do exactly that with your map, to check if it works or not. If you've used any linedef actions of type S1/SR/W1/WR/G1/GR with tag 0 referring to the sector on the back side of the linedef, the map will not work properly in limit-removing compatibility, because classic ports treat tag 0 like any other tag number, therefore referring to all sectors with tag 0 in the entire map (except for D1/DR/other types of actions). And if you've placed any linedef with a walkover or other special action immediately in front of a linedef supposed to be activated by press use, it will also not work properly in classic ports, because the first linedef will block player's attempts to press use on the linedef behind it. These are the most common "zdoomisms" in classic format maps that can break compatibility. If you avoided them, the map will probably be OK, but it needs to be tested anyway.

Obsidian said:

Map Name: Morose Tint my World
Format: Boom
Textures used: Fuzzballfox's Noir Pack

Let me know if there's any bugs or gameplay hiccups.

FDA. I really liked that usage of the texture pack, well done! The map looked stylish and was fun to play and to explore. However, I've got stuck here in the end (the white dot in the middle is my position). The double Archvile trap nearby was very harsh, too.

DoomLover234 said:

There you go: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ujveoebendgch6q/paradise.wad

Level title: Miner's Paradise

I liked it. The cramped-ness makes for uncomfortable movement at places, and visuals/gameplay aren't top notch (not that they have to be) - but the sense of place and the "adventurous" progression are just excellent, with minimum-to-no forced boring backtracking without opposition, and I've found the map overally fun to play. Thanks for this! :)

scifista42 said:

I liked it. The cramped-ness makes for uncomfortable movement at places, and visuals/gameplay aren't top notch - but the sense of place and the "adventurous" progression are just excellent, with minimum-to-no forced boring backtracking without opposition, and I've found the map overally fun to play. Thanks for this! :)

Thanks. And you're welcome. I tweaked it a lot more than it is is my notebook: I made the window passable to get the blue key right away. I am not a huge fan of backtracking either, so yes. Did you find the secrets? Sorry if I'm boring.

DoomLover234 said:

Did you find the secrets?

Found 5/9. They were quite generous in the amount of goodies they contained, less of them would be sufficient, it might not be a good thing if they're affecting the gameplay's balance too much.

scifista42 said:

Found 5/9. They were quite generous in the amount of goodies they contained, less of them would be sufficient, it might not be a good thing if they're affecting the gameplay's balance too much.

I understand that. That's a problem of mine; if I make a secret, I give too much, but I guess I must still learn a lot.