Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DustFalcon85

20 Years of PlayStation Doom.

Aubrey Hodges said:

Oh...one final detail. I found the original Arch Vile recording I made in the studio. It is unedited and isn't processed. I forget exactly why it wasn't completed but I plan to go ahead and complete the sounds for him. They will be in 4 categories: Idle, Pain, Attack, and Death.

As if you weren't awesome enough already. This year is looking up!

Quasar said:

Even if he was, they'd never be able to be GPL'd w/o significant modification, because they link with the respective companies' proprietary dev kits. That stuff would need to be stripped out first by somebody who has demonstrated they can be trusted under NDAs (I happen to be such a person, as I work for Night Dive Studios *winkwink*).

Well, that's very disappointing to hear... I would've loved to see the Doom 64 source code released.

Quasar also said:

That's why I made my pointless offer earlier in this thread. I call it pointless cuz almost nobody in this community has ever had contact with Seeler and he maintains zero online presence (no social media profiles, no LinkedIn, no blogs, etc.)

Either he's too busy with RL or he'd rather maintain his privacy, the latter I firmly believe should be respected. That isn't my call though...

Well I've finally borrowed the copy of PSX Doom from work and fired it up on my PS3. I was particularly gratified to hear the original PS1 startup tone when the game launched :) I'd also forgotten that PS1 CDs had that matt black coating on the bottom.

Aubrey Hodges said:

Update: I have about 9 more tracks to complete. Things have gone smoothly so far. I am on the re-arrangements of the level songs now. I think its turning out quite cool and the new tracks have the same sort of feeling and mood of the original game. I am using low fidelity samples and the same approach that was used on the original compositions. I am adding a few new samples to some of the older tracks to give them variety over such long song lengths. I wish I could have completed this sooner but I had to take a break and make sure to spend time with my family over the Christmas break. I think I may be able to get this done within the next couple of weeks. My next Update should be to announce the release.

Oh...one final detail. I found the original Arch Vile recording I made in the studio. It is unedited and isn't processed. I forget exactly why it wasn't completed but I plan to go ahead and complete the sounds for him. They will be in 4 categories: Idle, Pain, Attack, and Death.

Regards,

-Aubrey

That's extremely cool. Can't wait to hear it.

I assume the soundtrack will be a purchasable album available through Aubrey's site. But I wonder if the archvile sounds are going to be a bonus on the soundtrack or a freebie released to the community?

the SFX will probably be released for free. otherwise it might be considered a hassle to use it in other Doom projects because of how it comes bundled with something you have to pay for.

i'm definitely looking forward to the re-release of the PSX soundtrack. it sounds like it's going to be pretty awesome.

When it comes to the music of Doom, the work of Aubrey Hodges stands out the most to me. For me, I feel Aubrey's music set the mood and atmopshere for Doom's sci-fi/horror theme. A futuristic world inadvertently unleashing an ancient evil bent on destruction. This tracks sums things up quite nicely.

Love that track, used to run it off the PSX disk a lot.
Shame nobody ever uses it in their wads, seems to get forgotten all the time.

vinnie245 said:

Love that track, used to run it off the PSX disk a lot.
Shame nobody ever uses it in their wads, seems to get forgotten all the time.

probably because it's a CD track, and most wads uses MIDI music. also, it'd be a bit weird hearing it as a in-game track with such a long fade-out period.

Most wads use MIDI music, but those with the option to use streamed formats don't seem to use that specific track, even if they're making a PSX Doom-inspired map. And the way the track loops once and then fades out immediately at the start makes it really easy to chop that part off to make it loop seamlessly, I'd imagine.

Aubrey Hodges said:

Regards,

-Aubrey

Oh nice! I am looking forward to that!

By the way, did the final boss in Doom 64 ever had an official name during development? People always referred it as the 'Mother Demon' though the sprite name seems to go by 'RECT' which I am assuming it stands for Resurrector or something like that.

Aubrey Hodges said:

Update: I have about 9 more tracks to complete. Things have gone smoothly so far. I am on the re-arrangements of the level songs now. I think its turning out quite cool and the new tracks have the same sort of feeling and mood of the original game. I am using low fidelity samples and the same approach that was used on the original compositions. I am adding a few new samples to some of the older tracks to give them variety over such long song lengths. I wish I could have completed this sooner but I had to take a break and make sure to spend time with my family over the Christmas break. I think I may be able to get this done within the next couple of weeks. My next Update should be to announce the release.

Regards,

-Aubrey

Very nice, Aubrey! I think many people here have wondered just what the Archvile would've sounded like if it was actually in the game!

On a side note, I was looking through the MIDI's in Doom 64 and I made an interesting discovery: There's only about four or five MIDI's that are completely different from one another, the rest are simply duplicates with different instruments assigned. Very innovative for the time period.

jdagenet said:

On a side note, I was looking through the MIDI's in Doom 64 and I made an interesting discovery: There's only about four or five MIDI's that are completely different from one another, the rest are simply duplicates with different instruments assigned. Very innovative for the time period.

I've already discovered that; https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1325804

Doom Playstation: Official Soundtrack - 20th Anniversary Extended Edition will release later today! I will post a link once the tracks complete uploading.

The total album is 5 1/2 hours long! 8 Bonus tracks, all level tracks are now over 10 mins each and contain new sounds/instruments. The bonus tracks are dark and pretty out there but I think this crowd can handle that.

I need some rest now...and possibly therapy after delving so deep into the dark side again!

-Aubrey

I am happy to announce the release of Doom Playstation: Official Soundtrack - 20th Anniversary Extended Edition!

http://aubreyhodges.bandcamp.com/album/doom-playstation-official-soundtrack-20th-anniversary-extended-edition

Over 5 1/2 hours of music
8 all new bonus tracks, each over 10 minutes long!
New version of the Doom Main Theme
New version of the Doom Finale
All level tracks are now over 10 minutes each!

Enjoy!

-Aubrey

Excellent, thanks for this. Main theme is sounding great

Currently listening to The Broken Ones since it was always a favourite. Loving this new stuff that's been added in!

Oh, wow. The 20th anniversary theme is AMAZING. I always LOVED the original, but hot dang! Not sure how you made trumpets sound desperate and tense, but you sure did. Seriously, movie quality. Excuse me while I jam out at work!

EDIT: Also, gonna nab this, make a custom soundtrack etc. for the PSX Doom TC, hook my computer up to my TV, and make some magic happen at some point for sure. And as a modder, I'm also super jazzed regarding the Arch Vile sounds!

@Impboy4
Woops, hehe, and just few posts above mine... (exits room with shame)
I've seen it on other forum and thought this thread would fit.

LkMax said:

It needs to be in a wad or pk3 now. =P
(if there's not legal issues, that is)

Based on this:

Aubrey Hodges said:

--Lastly, I will do another 5 tracks from scratch that are in the same genre so folks doing mods will have a few new ones to include.

I think Aubrey is ok with (some of) the music being distributed in a mod, but I wouldn't extend that to a straight rip of the entire album being distributed like warez.

s13n1 said:

Well, its not free.

I paid for it.

Gez said:

I think Aubrey is ok with (some of) the music being distributed in a mod, but I wouldn't extend that to a straight rip of the entire album being distributed like warez.

These guys have it right. Aubrey worked hard on this when he first created the tracks and he worked hard on the 20th anniversary versions and new tracks. He deserves our patronage and it'd be a pretty crappy thing to warez his creations or whatever. So don't, just don't.

Job said:

These guys have it right. Aubrey worked hard on this when he first created the tracks and he worked hard on the 20th anniversary versions and new tracks. He deserves our patronage and it'd be a pretty crappy thing to warez his creations or whatever. So don't, just don't.

although, having all the tracks put into a wad for personal use is perfectly fine.

Job said:

I'm with you on this.

Not everyone will agree with Aubrey's decision not to make his music free (I was disappointed as well), but he's got a family to feed... of course he deserves some compensation.

The new version of the theme sounds essentially like a reprise you'd hear when you're coming upwards towards the closure of your journey, it's real great.

Impboy4 said:

although, having all the tracks put into a wad for personal use is perfectly fine.

I think that's very generous on his part. We should show our gratitude by paying for the tracks for our personal use. Nevermind the fact that they're coming from the original source, high-fidelity for a very reasonable price.