Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lazygecko

Doom songs transposed from minor to major

You can also flip entire MIDI tracks using the piano roll toolset in FL Studio. And reverse them if you want that too.

One of these days I wanna write my own MIDI reversing program, for the helluvit.

Unfortunately, it'd be a little more complex than just making it so a controller that fired thirty seconds before the end is placed thirty seconds from the start, because controllers only affect what comes after them; if that controller said to make the music half-volume, then you'd make the notes that came before the final thirty seconds half-loud instead of making the notes that came after it.

So, more involved than my old MIDIFlipper program, but on the other hand, it'd be an interesting project to mess with.

Oh my god this is just getting better and better

Thanks for the link Gez!

EDIT:

What the hell.. Why do most of these sound so good when inverted? I really like Happy e1m8 when inverted, check them out here. The only one that sounds like total garbage is The Pit.

If I'd never heard the Doom music and someone showed me these, I would just think it was cool old game music. Weird to think that no one really 'wrote' them yet they still sound good.

I really want to hear a happy e3m1, or even d_ampie!

nxGangrel said:

happy map05 to me sounds like a hip hop beat for rapping preachers.

This made me lol

GeckoYamori said:

I just realigned the relevant notes on the scale. For example if E Minor is E-F#-G-A-B-C-D#, and E Major is E-F#-G#-A-B-C#-D#, then I just move the notes in G to G# and so forth.

I know *how* to change a scale - what I meant was: Did you use a program that ran across the file automatically, or did you modify the files "by hand", meausre by measure? But, think you already answered this, more or less. Very interesting result!

kb1 said:

I know *how* to change a scale - what I meant was: Did you use a program that ran across the file automatically, or did you modify the files "by hand", meausre by measure? But, think you already answered this, more or less. Very interesting result!

In FLStudio there is a feature in the piano roll called Limit which among other things lets you quantize to different scales. You can even choose if you want to round off notes upwards, downwards or alternating.

It can't always account for things like sus2/sus4 modulations though, which often wander off outside the given scale. So those would need to be done by hand.

I've listened to the original 5 happy midis more since I originally posted, maybe more than 1 should really, and I can now picture kittens meowing away along to Waste Tunnels Happy at 3:07 mark onwards, and throughout Containment Area Happy. Do I need help here?

Scottland89 said:

I've listened to the original 5 happy midis more since I originally posted, maybe more than 1 should really, and I can now picture kittens meowing away along to Waste Tunnels Happy at 3:07 mark onwards, and throughout Containment Area Happy. Do I need help here?

maybe

Eris Falling said:

Just stumbled on this thread...

Couldn't resist having a pop at the TNT track. The happiest legion of them all!

Lmfao. I'm just picturing an army of revs dressed up like sunflowers slowly marching with cheesy grins on their faces to this tune.

Apologies for resurrencting an old thread, but I haven't found anything more recent on this topic on Doomworld.  I wasn't a regular on Doomworld in 2016 so missed this thread, but Doomkid recently uploaded this at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5YKB7_Fj_M&t=0s.  It's the kind of thing that I've been messing about with since around 2005, so I decided to come up with my own version (editing the original MIDI files in FL Studio) which covers all of the tracks from the Ultimate Doom.  As scattered tracks are at least partly in a major key, I decided to transpose the minor keys into major, and the major keys into minor.  This resulted in the D_Bunny theme being somewhat messed up.

Apologies for the bump, but I've had to remove this video, because when I uploaded it, YouTube's automated algorithms detected that the melody of E1M2 (when transposed from major to minor) copied someone else's melody (no, not Bobby Prince, some random guy whose guitar music is published by CD Baby Sync Publishing), despite sounding nothing like it.  I decided to contest the claim (YouTube doesn't have an option for erroneous claims, so the nearest option was "fair use", where I wrote that the automated algorithm had probably made a mistake). 

YouTube has since shadowbanned my entire YouTube account, which is particularly discouraging when I've just started releasing a steady stream of content.  I don't know if it's down to this or something else, but as this erroneous copyright claim is the only thing I can think of that could possibly have triggered its shadowban algorithms, and perhaps YouTube's algorithms didn't like me pointing out that their system isn't infallible, I've taken the step of deleting the video and hoping that this is the problem and that YouTube might reverse the shadowban in the coming months.

What the hell is wrong with YT. That is absurd. Hope you get your channel back.. the way they handle FALSE copyright claims is pure garbage.

For clarification, by "shadowbanned" I mean my channel's still up, but it has disappeared from search engines (I tried DuckDuckGo and Bing as well as Google and YouTube search).  In some ways that's trickier than if it had been taken down, as YT has a history of denying that they do this kind of blacklisting of channels.

Good news, my channel comes up in searches again, so I'm assuming they blacklisted it because of that false copyright claim.  Still concerning that you can be "shadowbanned" like that because of a false copyright claim before it's even been looked at.  (I'd actually have understood their position if they'd shadowbanned just that video until the copyright claim got resolved, but no, they did my whole channel).