Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradharding

DOOM Retro v5.3 (updated March 3, 2024)

I wanted to complain about incorrect liquids in rc-dc.wad, but then I noticed that it depends on the wad name (my own copy is named rc-dc_v4.wad).

There's still a rather severe problem though: the SSG muzzle flash is misaligned.

Da Werecat said:

I wanted to complain about incorrect liquids in rc-dc.wad, but then I noticed that it depends on the wad name (my own copy is named rc-dc_v4.wad).

There's now the NOLIQUID lump in doomretro.wad that contains a list of animated flats that aren't treated as liquid. In the case of your rc-dc.wad, there's CFAN0xy and BWORM00A. You can also now add "NOLIQUID flatname" to a WAD's MAPINFO lump.

There's still a rather severe problem though: the SSG muzzle flash is misaligned.

Shit! It is too! I guess it's because SHT2A0 exists in the wad, and that's stopping the horizontal offset from being applied to all frames. Thanks. I'll fix it for the next point release.

Would it be possible to use the fullscreen hud without having widescreen enabled? I usually prefer to play with a full screen hud, but the transition between levels from widescreen to full ratio is rather jarring and annoying. Plus it shows the regular hud for a second right before transitions to the intermission screen. Or make the intermission screens widescreen as well so there isn't that odd transition?

The alternate hud is nice, but kinda har to see the armor bar.

The still bobbing is a nice little effect when set really low to like 1 or 2 percent.

I really enjoy the random music feature too.

I like the random pitch for the monster sounds. Any chance of having an option to randomize the pitch of the player sounds as well? I rather like how it sounds in psx doom and zdoom for example when the player fire sounds and menu sounds are randomized in pitch as well.

It would also be nice to be able to bind mapstats to a button and maybe player stats too.

Think you might add EPISODE function to the mapinfo support so one can make level appear as a selectable episode like no rest for the living? I have a compiled version of the master levels which does this using mapinfo that would be rather nice to play as such with doom retro.

There's just something about this port with all of it's nice yet subtle touches that makes me want to play all the wads I can with it unless I absolutely have to use another. It even made me play through the original maps again when I previously had absolutely no desire to.

Thanks for the awesome port Brad.

Brewtal_Legend said:

Would it be possible to use the fullscreen hud without having widescreen enabled? I usually prefer to play with a full screen hud, but the transition between levels from widescreen to full ratio is rather jarring and annoying. Plus it shows the regular hud for a second right before transitions to the intermission screen. Or make the intermission screens widescreen as well so there isn't that odd transition?

Yes, I might look at doing this. By default, it'll still go widescreen when increasing the view size all the way, but I'll have a cvar that can disable widescreen altogether.

The alternate hud is nice, but kinda har to see the armor bar.

I'll experiment with making the armor bar lighter. What I might also consider is having it either blue or green based on what armor type the player has.

The still bobbing is a nice little effect when set really low to like 1 or 2 percent.

I like the random pitch for the monster sounds. Any chance of having an option to randomize the pitch of the player sounds as well? I rather like how it sounds in psx doom and zdoom for example when the player fire sounds and menu sounds are randomized in pitch as well.

I actually hate how the random pitch sounds in the menu, or for the player. But I'll look into it.

It would also be nice to be able to bind mapstats to a button and maybe player stats too.

Actually been working on this starting earlier today. Where you can bind any console cmd to a key.

I'll experiment with making the armor bar lighter. What I might also consider is having it either blue or green based on what armor type the player has.

That is actually kinda how I had expected it to be since there was some color in the health bar. I bet it would look really nice.

I actually hate how the random pitch sounds in the menu, or for the player. But I'll look into it.

Understandable about the menus. It can get grating when using zdoom with it's many options. But doom retro doesn't have many that requiring navigating them enough for it to get to that point in my opinion. I do really like it in the player sounds though. I think it kinda makes sense too for there to be some sound variation in them. Perhaps more subtle than zdoom does. I bet you could do it well. Nice to know that you'll consider it even though you don't like it.

Actually been working on this starting earlier today. Where you can bind any console cmd to a key.

Cool. will it just overlay over the main screen or will it drop the console down and back up? For things like mapstats, I think it would be nice if it just overlayed it on the game screen.

I don't know if you missed my edit asking about the EPISODE function in mapinfo support. Is that already possible? I haven't tested it. It would be nice though.

and is it possible to change map names in the mapinfo lump?

Brewtal_Legend said:

Cool. will it just overlay over the main screen or will it drop the console down and back up? For things like mapstats, I think it would be nice if it just overlayed it on the game screen.

So I'm not introducing new unnecessary elements, I think it'd be best if the console just dropped down to display it.

I don't know if you missed my edit asking about the EPISODE function in mapinfo support. Is that already possible? I haven't tested it. It would be nice though.

I did, sorry. Yeah, I plan on working on this.

and is it possible to change map names in the mapinfo lump?

Yep! Hexen style with the format MAP ExMy "mapname".

Autoloading last saved game is bullshit. I did a savegame once and forget about it. And then I died, and game immideatlly loaded that save. That was made several levels ago. wtf man? why not just reload current level?

bradharding said:

Speaking of hexen...will there be heretic/hexen retro?

Can you add the SPECIALACTION Lump to MAPINFO so I can use "bosses" and "minibosses" whenever I want for my WAD?

ABRACADABRA said:

Autoloading last saved game is bullshit. I did a savegame once and forget about it. And then I died, and game immideatlly loaded that save. That was made several levels ago. wtf man? why not just reload current level?

I'm working on an autosave feature that will help with bullshit like this, man.

Hoodie said:

Speaking of hexen...will there be heretic/hexen retro?

Maybe one day. But not as a separate game. The one exe will be able to load doom+heretic+hexen+strife maps.

JXC said:

Can you add the SPECIALACTION Lump to MAPINFO so I can use "bosses" and "minibosses" whenever I want for my WAD?

Version 2.0's introduction of MAPINFO was just the start, so yes, I do plan on expanding it further.

bradharding said:

I'm working on an autosave feature that will help with bullshit like this, man.

glad to hear this. sorry if I sounded too harsh, didn't want this. greate port anyway

First, great port. Definitely my top limit-removing choice now, which means it's time for the inevitable feature request post. :P

1) Just wondering if there's a flag somewhere that will make pistol-restart after death the default, rather than having to press the run+open keys.

2) Is there, or can there be, a way to increase the size of the drop-down console?

bradharding said:

Version 2.0's introduction of MAPINFO was just the start, so yes, I do plan on expanding it further.

I also want you to do the nointermission thing so I don't have to create or use titlepatches. I am having errors after exiting an episode 5 map. Another error us that If I do something like a hell sky for the Episode 5 map, the sky will show the Episode 1 sky. Sky transfer doesn't even work.

When you make it so that console commands can be bound to any key, how will player stats work exactly? The player presses the bound key and the console opens with playerstats being displayed, then pressing the key again will close the console? That would be the way I imagine it. At least for that particular command it would seem the most friendly way to use it from a player perspective.

Or something more like the player would have to bind both the playerstat command and the console open/close command?

Would it be possible to make it so that the player can scroll through the console using a gamepad as well?

schwerpunk said:

1) Just wondering if there's a flag somewhere that will make pistol-restart after death the default, rather than having to press the run+open keys.

2) Is there, or can there be, a way to increase the size of the drop-down console?

1) Nope. I've been meaning to implement a cvar that allows this. (BTW, I think the run+open key thing is a Crispy DOOM thing.)
2) Not yet. :)

Brewtal_Legend said:

When you make it so that console commands can be bound to any key, how will player stats work exactly? The player presses the bound key and the console opens with playerstats being displayed, then pressing the key again will close the console? That would be the way I imagine it. At least for that particular command it would seem the most friendly way to use it from a player perspective.

Or something more like the player would have to bind both the playerstat command and the console open/close command?

Would it be possible to make it so that the player can scroll through the console using a gamepad as well?

Yeah, I've been considering these options. Maybe something like this would be best to avoid confusion:

bind 'p' "+console; playerstats; +console"
As for scrolling the console with the gamepad, I can put that in, but I'll also need to allow +console to be bound to a gamepad button, which it can't at the moment.

bradharding said:

BTW, I think the run+open key thing is a Crispy DOOM thing.)

Indeed it is, but the logic is inverted: You respawn from a savegame *only if* you press run+use.

fabian said:

Indeed it is, but the logic is inverted: You respawn from a savegame *only if* you press run+use.

Yeah I also think pistol restart is better. I can press the quickload key if I want my latest quicksave. Or load through menu if it was a normal save I guess.

Congrats for 4000 commits, Brad, hah!

Think there will be support for intermission scripts? To change the behavior of the intermission screens? Like the location of arrows and splats, level names, etc?

I cam across a cool looking episode 4 intermission screen that would be nice to use, but obviously won't work with doom retro unfortunately. The background pic itself can be used but it won't use the features such as the first 3 episodes.

The interpic I mentioned:
http://forum.zdoom.org/download/file.php?id=10467&sid=9b3ef4305cd918dafa3f8ebe6938f3e9

The thread:
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=28110

Also, think sndinfo will be available too? For use of extra sounds in wads. like this: https://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/71133-sound-caulking-now-on-idgames/

Would it be possible to add resethealth and resetinventory to mapinfo so pistol starts can be enforced on levels?

Brewtal_Legend said:

Think there will be support for intermission scripts? To change the behavior of the intermission screens? Like the location of arrows and splats, level names, etc?

I cam across a cool looking episode 4 intermission screen that would be nice to use, but obviously won't work with doom retro unfortunately. The background pic itself can be used but it won't use the features such as the first 3 episodes.

The interpic I mentioned:
http://forum.zdoom.org/download/file.php?id=10467&sid=9b3ef4305cd918dafa3f8ebe6938f3e9

The thread:
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=28110

Also, think sndinfo will be available too? For use of extra sounds in wads. like this: https://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/71133-sound-caulking-now-on-idgames/

Would it be possible to add resethealth and resetinventory to mapinfo so pistol starts can be enforced on levels?

I intend on extending MAPINFO quite a bit, so yes, intermission and episode-related changes will eventually make it in, and "resethealth", etc. seems like a good idea as well.
SNDINFO will come later.

Came across some odd behaviour regarding crushers:

The Spidermaster here gets pushed into the floor by the crushers.

bradharding said:

I intend on extending MAPINFO quite a bit, so yes, intermission and episode-related changes will eventually make it in, and "resethealth", etc. seems like a good idea as well.
SNDINFO will come later.

ZDoom rival when? :)

bradharding said:

That's old ZDoom style.

Hexen style would be with just a number. Using the full slot name is the biggest difference between Hexen MAPINFO and old ZDoom MAPINFO, because it was necessary to support ExMy style names like in Ultimate Doom and Heretic. Hexen MAPINFO only supports MAPxy names.

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/MAPINFO

bradharding said:

SNDINFO will come later.

If you're planning on extending MAPINFO, I'd advise getting a better syntax than Hexen/old ZDoom. There's a reason ZDoom abandoned it, and went for something unambiguous where blocks are clearly delimited by curly braces and keywords are clearly identified by the presence of an equal sign following them.

Shouldn't Alt-F4 immediately exit the program?

Maybe people (not me *cough* *cough*) may need to quickly exit.

VGA said:

Shouldn't Alt-F4 immediately exit the program?

Maybe people (not me *cough* *cough*) may need to quickly exit.

Actually, ALT+F4 should be working, but checking previous builds it appears it's not. Thanks. Turns out a commit I made recently "accidentally" fixed it.

Brad is there a way to get a monster count of a map? I resorted to using the kill all monsters command to see their number. Mapstats shows the thing count, which isn't very useful.

VGA said:

Brad is there a way to get a monster count of a map? I resorted to using the kill all monsters command to see their number. Mapstats shows the thing count, which isn't very useful.

Use playerstats. It has number of kills vs monster count.

The brightmaps function doesn't always work properly in some cases such as E1M3 of Endless Torture. I am having trouble posting the screenshot of the bug I just took.

JXC said:

The brightmaps function doesn't always work properly in some cases such as E1M3 of Endless Torture. I am having trouble posting the screenshot of the bug I just took.

Upload the screenshot to imgur and post the link.

Anyway I think brightmaps don't work on custom textures. Because they are hardcoded. There is no way to know which colors should be bright on any given texture.