Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Do Rocket Jumping and Bunnyhopping belong in Doom? (Poll)

MacBeth said:

You didn't need invulnerability to survive that rocket, sure it hurt but it wasn't hard to have a surplus of health and armor at that point in the game.

It hurts a lot more than in Quake.

Well I think that DOOM should be as accessible as possible with it still being skill based and fun. B-hopping should not be allowed but for rocket jumping, I think that after a rocket jump you should be staggered for a little bit, so you could get glory killed, and that it should be togglable in a private match.

RobbingSnake said:

Well I think that DOOM should be as accessible as possible with it still being skill based and fun. B-hopping should not be allowed but for rocket jumping, I think that after a rocket jump you should be staggered for a little bit, so you could get glory killed, and that it should be togglable in a private match.

Making rj that does selfdamage 90dmg makes the whole mechanic useless. It's supposed to do about 25-50dmg since with armor then you can compensate it and it allows for faster and more efficient mobility.

to paraphrase isaac newton: if you aim a rocket launcher at the ground, something is bound to happen.

as for bunnyhopping, that is a game breaking exploit that forces competitive players to learn to play the game in a way it was never intended

This is one thing I might be butt hurt about is if they remove rocket jumping, I would love to see some kind of strafe running as that's how I like to play doom but if it isn't in there I would kinda understand. But ya, unless you die from shooting a rocket close to you at point blank I'm going to be upset about the lose of that.

MrGlide said:

This is one thing I might be butt hurt about is if they remove rocket jumping,

What is ironic is that you can't even jump in Doom.

DooM_RO said:

What is ironic is that you can't even jump in Doom.

I'm aware,(I leave jump disabled in doom as not to cheat myself) but in this one we can. In these higher health shooters when I see the devs remove grenade jumping or rocket jumping I often feel it is for restriction on maps, And that bothers me a little bit because I like to see what wierd nooks and crannys I can get into, it's alot of fun and in some multiplayer games I feel It gives a fair tactical advantage at times.

MrGlide said:

I'm aware,(I leave jump disabled in doom as not to cheat myself) but in this one we can. In these higher health shooters when I see the devs remove grenade jumping or rocket jumping I often feel it is for restriction on maps, And that bothers me a little bit because I like to see what wierd nooks and crannys I can get into, it's alot of fun and in some multiplayer games I feel It gives a fair tactical advantage at times.

I think Rocket Jumping and Strafe Jumping should remain in Quake. If they make a new Quake game how are they going to make it different from Doom? These features could be the answer. Besides, we still have Double Jumping.

I don't think there will be rocket jumping. It would make the RL even more versatile than it already is which means everyone would be using it, and with the two-weapon limit it essentially just becomes rocket-launcher + 1 weapon of your choice.

Touchdown said:

Does anyone actually rocket jump or strafe run in SP? I know I don't. Maybe a little bit in ROTT'13 because some secrets required it but that's that. I don't see it as an important or necessary 'feature' in SP at all.

I straferun almost religiously but never rocket jump. Regardless, straferunning is a part of classic Doom, that doesn't necessarily mean it should be in Doom4. Change will add variety!

Whilst not intentional, speedrunning for me has been apart of DooM as much as unleashing bullets on hellspawn is. I would be somewhat disappointed if it didn't include rocket jumping, strafe-running etc.

Crunchynut44 said:

rocket jumping, strafe-running etc.

Strafe running was a bug, though. One brought on by terrible handling of player physics, there's no way they'd intentionally put that back in. Kind of redundant too, since they already have runes that give you speed boosts. And rocket jumping is a Quake thing strictly, always has been since Doom doesn't have mouselook, closest you get is that one level where you had to shoot a wall with a godsphere and fly back into a little box. More like rocket falling, really.

Now, archvile jumping, that's another story...

I like bunnyhopping and rocket jumps but it'd be kinda pointless if Doom and Quake were essentially the same game in multiplayer.

I do think rocket jumps would be cool in Doom but overall I hope the double jumping and possibly strafing is what will define Doom's multiplayer.

Crunchynut44 said:

Whilst not intentional, speedrunning for me has been apart of DooM as much as unleashing bullets on hellspawn is. I would be somewhat disappointed if it didn't include rocket jumping, strafe-running etc.

For fuck's sake...You can't even look up or down or jump in VANILLA.

In the game informer article it said there was a weapon that would do more damage the faster you're moving, b-hopping would break this weapon. It also seems like b-hopping wouldn't be that effective, from the "More info on weapons, movement, pop-in from loading Heatwave MP." thread it says "Firing weapons also slows you down significantly. At least this is the case with the rapid firing weapons like the plasma gun, chaingun, and machine gun."

I really love strafejumping and rocketjumping in Quake 3 Arena, but I wouldn't mind if they get ditched in favour of new special movements. We already saw the double jumping and heard about speed boost mods and it really seems fun. Those would probably not work well together with the Quake style special moves.

Clonehunter said:

I'd rather have straferunning/jumping.

Then play Quake, it's an excellent game.

DooM_RO said:

For fuck's sake...You can't even look up or down or jump in VANILLA.

You can however propel yourself with the rocket launcher in vanilla, surely you're aware of this.

Crunchynut44 said:

You can however propel yourself with the rocket launcher in vanilla, surely you're aware of this.

Of course, but it is only used once and in a very specific way (invulnerability)