Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SyncError

DOOM on Clueless Gamer w/ Conan O'Brien

The checkpoint, or mission, marker on screen simply said: "Find the cause."

Which could span a multitude of levels, and just be one of those irrelevant 'reminders' of why you're there in the first place.

As a Broncos fan I enjoyed all the jokes about the Patriots. Not too much gameplay but it was still a fun little segment. Loved his reactions to the glory kills.

Nefhril said:

I agree, hopefully they played a Ps4 build.

Yup, XBOne. There is no Y button on the PlayStation. The PS4 version will most likely be 1-3x better looking and have a higher resolution. PC should blow them both out of the water. Microsoft is probably still kicking themselves for underpowering their console for useless features gamers don't care about.

Glad to see [at least one variant of] the Mancubus has his flamethrowers back. "You don't have to kill that guy, he'll die of diabetes in a year or two." Lol

TheGamePhilosophe said:

This tells you A LOT about how linear the level design will be. Also, someone confirmed from the video that there will be on-screen waypoint markers to prevent you from ever getting lost.

That doesn't say shit about level linearity/design. Stop shitposting fuckin retard.

DoomUK said:

I think the waypoints only tell you where your main objective is, but don't tell you where the keys are, or where else you need to go for that objective to be accessible. It's an acceptable compromise imo.

Well, if you take a look at the image below, you see that the player has a main objective "Discover the Cause," which is then helpfully broken down into two sub-objectives (1) "Find yellow key access" and 2)"Gain satellite array access").

To further assist the player, the location of the first sub-objective, "Find yellow key access," is marked on the in-game compass at the top.

It's similar to Skyrim's quest marking system, hope you can turn it on/off to like in Skyrim when toggling active/inactive quests.

That compass is the only thing I genuinely dislike about the game. I don't like it when developers treat me like an idiot.

DooM_RO said:

That compass is the only thing I genuinely dislike about the game. I don't like it when developers treat me like an idiot.

Yeah I know, but that's how it has to be. Hope it's optional at least.

Linguica said:

lol?

Kind of. It won't be that damn significant, but the PS4 has the advantage of all its RAM (which is DDR5 vs the DDR3 in XBO) and 7 of 8 cores dedicated to gaming. Almost half of the XBO hardware is dedicated to stupid shit like running other apps pinned to the side. Actually there's an extra weaker processor and small amount of extra RAM in the PS4 for running the OS in the background too. PS4 also runs almost all multi platform games in higher resolution although IIRC you can't tell the difference between 900 and 1080 unless you have a 55" or better TV. I have 32" so I could care less, heh.

EDIT: It really comes down to the competency of the programmers - just because the PS4 is superior in design doesn't mean anything but I suspect the experience will be smoother and look slightly better on Sony's console, though I admit unless they nerfed the graphics to match the consoles it'll be superior looking on PC no matter what. And PlayStation shadows have always been somewhat jagged looking on the edge. As is, my amateur opinion is unqualified. :P

Still, if I had to do it all again I would just wait until I had enough for a gaming PC; due to disc trays failures I'm on my third PS4 and my wife is on her second. Just HAD to play BF4 right then and there lol. I'm a dumbass.

quakke said:

Automap is confirmed to actually be in the game, or then the guy translated one of those german articles is a lier.

Awesome! Now, let's just hope the compass/waypoints are completely optional! :-)

Things I will be hopefully able to remove through options

1. Compass
2. Waypoints
3. Glowing Monsters and Melee Finishers

i hoping that "arena" just means expansive space to run around and kill. non linearity in combat as well as exploration in maps. nothing wrong with that.

also hoping this whole titan thing doesnt preclude typical hellfire and brimstone. that would be a major misstep. i need to hear the creepy tortured screams of the damned.

Well they had arena's in classic as well so I don't know why people are complaining so much about them. I Just hope it isn't on the level that Serious Sam was.

DooM_RO said:

Hoffman: Yeah I know, but that's how it has to be. Hope it's optional at least.

If you keep giving money to developers that treat you like idiots, are you not then idiots?

TheGamePhilosophe said:

If you keep giving money to developers that treat you like idiots, are you not then idiots?

This is the only thing that bothers me and maybe you can turn it off. I basically love everything else.

Ok, now what's the deal with compass, even after an automap is confirmed? It makes no sense to "really dislike" it, it doesn't block the player view or something and you can just ignore it when exploring the level.
Actually, I'll probably use it to avoid the main path as long as I think there's still side paths to explore... =P

It probably should be noted that those objective markers and "achievements" only appear on the first level they're on.
Considering this is supposed to be the very first level, I'd assume that if anything, those are just there to function as a tutorial and nothing else.
You don't see them anywhere else.

Justince said:

And in no time TheGamePhilosopher is wanking up the thread about how people spend their own money. Hats off to you.

I think I'm gonna get two copies of the game, just to spite him.

DooM_RO said:

Yeah, my ideal Beta would be 3 MP maps and 1 or 2 SP maps plus a bit of Snapmap.

That would be a blast! One can only hope :)