Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

Small moments in Doom that make you smile

Sometimes when I have berserk on a map with imps around deep pits or tall ledges or cliffs, ill intentionally position my self so that I'm aiming the imp toward the drop, so I can watch his bloody remains plummet to the ground. Its especially fun aiming for lower ledges or platforms down below and trying to get them to land on it.

I like waiting for monsters such as revenants or pinky demons to ascend a flight of stairs so I can ssg blast them and watch them tumble down.

Using berserk to "throw" a barrel at a monster.

If a cacodemon resists two full ssg shots, or a mancubus in three, sometimes ill whip out the pistol and finish them in a single shot.

-seeing lost souls infight is just a charm in my eyes. it's like a drunken slap fight.
-watching enemies fall off a ledge in front of me when I shoot from below.
-the barrel placement at the beginning of AV MAP02 is the best barrel placement ever.
-tossing a monster down a huge set of steps with a big weapon.

• Watching pinkies uselessly running after other monsters and biting the air, as the other monsters coldly ignore them
  • Seeing the Spider Mastermind getting its ass handed to it due to its sheer clumsiness, e.g. by a single Demon biting it.
  • Seeing a low-level monster, e.g. an imp, finishing off a much stronger one (e.g. a Baron after I have "used" him for my own dirty work (infighting decoy).
  • Seeing a Mancubus getting clobbered by a single Revenant to death, and doing nothing other than sitting there moaning in pain.
  • Whenever I witness the OUCHFACE bug in ports that don't fix it.
  • Watching self-killing monsters or Demon-on-Demon infighting in Doom v1.1
  • Whenever I can apply any of these fine techniques.
As you can guess, I smile a lot, and thus I sleep like a baby after my Dooming sessions.

When a monster's corpse does something really weird, like a dead hell knight sliding up stairs, or when you kill a cacodemon and its corpse lands on top of another one which ends up "carrying" it around.

When an AV is about to smash you with an unavoidable attack, and something like a zombieman shoots him in the back just in time to take the blast for you, being gibbed in the process.
Killing a revenant with the your last two ssg shells.

The wet, squelching, fleshy sound when you gib an enemy with bezerk or a barrel. I hope it comes back in some form in the new™ Doom.

Berzerk in general, gibs are lovely. Good secrets, especially ones I can strafe jump into. Chucking a rocket into a crowd of trash. Beating a hard but short map.

I like it when there has been been a protracted in fight and when you decide to wade in the monster's HP have been worn down enough that you unexpectedly take out a bunch of monsters consecutively with one shot each.

When I manage to chain 3 SSG shots uncovered on an Archvile, or 3 SG ones, before I have to seek cover.

When I take down Cyberdemons with Chaingun tapping, esp. from a distant, safe spot, and manage to do it quicker than more direct/dangerous approaches, too.

Subatomic said:

That weird little gurgling sound Cacodemons make when they die. Not sure why but I enjoy it every time.

Haha yes and they drop down like deflating basketballs. Bonus if a door closes down on them and squashes their deflated body like a rotten tomato!

In E2M8, shooting a lost soul at just the right angle with the rocket launcher to send them flying. It's like billiards in Hell. Of course, this works anywhere you have lost souls and a rocket launcher.

I also enjoy shooting imps or other low-weight adversaries off of perches using rocket launcher physics. A good point blank BFG blast will also do the trick.

Lastly, shooting an imp at the top of some stairs with a shotgun and watching it slide down, step by step.

Shooting a Cacodemon with a shotgun causing it's velocity to speed up then continuing to strafe-run beside the Cacodemon whilst continuing to pummel it with shells.

When low-level goons (zombies, imps) go flying after I've rocketed them.

Especially if they were in the process of infighting. Ladies, ladies, you're both pretty.

I forgot to mention this: When I found a secret with helpful supplies while I had few ammo or health.

The sudden, deafening silence that follows the last kill in a protracted firefight. That is the sweet, sweet sound of victory.

When a monster is winding up to shoot me but I hold my fire because I see another enemy behind him about to accidentally take him out. The nearer one goes down then I shoot the further one who just helped me.

Those times you can just stand there with your finger on the fire button as your shotgun mows down a horde of trash mobs.

And the silence when you're done.