Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scifista42

Doomworld Mega Project 2015 - Now on /idgames

I forgot to put CWolfRu's INTERPIC into the Alpha 2 wads. Since I'm not going to reupload 30 MB just because of an INTERPIC, here it is separately, in .lmp, .wad and .png forms:

DMP15INTERPIC

If you want to check it out ingame, either run the INTERPIC .wad along with DMP15A Alpha .wad, or add the .lmp into your copy of the Alpha .wad and name the lump "INTERPIC". And please also give feedback whether you think that CWolfRu's graphics are good/fitting-enough for this project or whether it needs a replacement or a tune-up.

Still need a story for this?

Anyway the alternative rotation is better... how about moving the vanilla maps to map21? It could give a brand new episode feel...

I have finished map + music + DEHACKED compilation some time ago, and just now I have finished texture compilation - I admit, I gave myself a break on working on it. Now I'm going to create proper ANIMATED and SWITCHES lumps, CWILV signs, and add sky transfers to maps with custom skies.

DMP2016 will be a thing after this one is fully wrapped up.

So I played dmp15a_alpha2.wad in Zdoom 2.8pre-1805 and I noticed some irregularities:

-Map02: berserk sector should be probably secret.

-Map10: sector 335 shouldn't be secret.

-Map11: Zdoom produces warnings

Removing 0-length line 2201
Removing 0-length line 2202
Map has 4 unused sidedefs
-Map16: HOMs at linedef 1498 and on MANY linedefs in the blood corridor leading to the exit.

-Map20: two revenants never teleported out of holding sectors 395 and 398.

-Map23: 6 cacodemons (things 726 to 731) never teleported into playable areas, because there is no sector tagged 81. Also, linedef 70 shouldn't be set as exit.

-Map24: there are at least 2 unclosed sectors, see these screenshots.

Caleb13 said:

-Map02: berserk sector should be probably secret.

-Map10: sector 335 shouldn't be secret.

Leave it in.

Caleb13 said:

-Map11: Zdoom produces warnings

Removing 0-length line 2201
Removing 0-length line 2202
Map has 4 unused sidedefs

I will fix this for next release.

Caleb13 said:

-Map16: HOMs at linedef 1498 and on MANY linedefs in the blood corridor leading to the exit.

They are intentional, confirmed by schwerpunk.

Caleb13 said:

-Map20: two revenants never teleported out of holding sectors 395 and 398.

I will fix this for next release, by making linedefs 3107 and 3121 not monster blocking.

Caleb13 said:

-Map23: 6 cacodemons (things 726 to 731) never teleported into playable areas, because there is no sector tagged 81.

The teleport linedef was obviously supposed to affect sector tagged 60. I will fix this for next release.

Caleb13 said:

Also, linedef 70 shouldn't be set as exit.

Leave it in. The player can't activate it anyway. It's a W1 action on a 1-sided impassable linedef. I know it's visible on ZDoom's automap, but that doesn't break the map.

Caleb13 said:

-Map24: there are at least 2 unclosed sectors, see these screenshots.

http://i.imgur.com/60VNWhM.png

http://i.imgur.com/FF1grTJ.png

I will fix this for next release.

And yes, now you can consider it official that if a map has "normal" gameplay (which speedrunners might be interested in), and there is a kink preventing getting 100% kills or 100% secrets, this ought to be fixed, even if not a critical bug.

-Map23: 6 cacodemons (things 726 to 731) never teleported into playable areas, because there is no sector tagged 81. Also, linedef 70 shouldn't be set as exit.

The teleport linedef was obviously supposed to affect sector tagged 60. I will fix this for next release.
Leave it in. The player can't activate it anyway. It's a W1 action on a 1-sided impassable linedef. I know it's visible on ZDoom's automap, but that doesn't break the map.

Looking at an old version shows that the sector with tag 81 originally surrounded a teleport destination (thing 305) which is still there. (you can add the sector back in there, doesn't matter what size)

The teleport destination in the sector with tag 60 was a leftover from the old version's co-op support, feel free to delete it.

The exit special on linedef 70 can go also.

This years MP is such an improvement over the last few (which I guess is technically all of them.)

I know it's taking awhile to get finished, but I wanted to ask: is it a possible candidate for a Cacoward?

A week ago, I finished the sky transfer additions to all Boom maps and I was about to post the Boom compilation wad, but then I decided to run a last minute test in PrBoom-plus, and it turned out that many non-sky-transferred sectors (due to having unique tags) in the middle of sky-transferred sectors are bleeding the incorrect sky in PrBoom-plus, while in ZDoom-based ports they look alright. I got frustrated and halted working on the compilation again. I ought to finish it, but it's going to be tedious. Next year I'll highlight in the mapping recommendations that people posting Boom maps should use sky transfers and not SKY1 replacements in their maps, so that I won't have to deal with fixing them all myself with a per-sector precision as I have to now.

It might pay to dig up that old sky transfer prefab someone made: it was used in Plutinya 1024 and I used it myself in my map. Makes things a lot easier.

I'm actually adding the sky transfers without adding any kind of map geometry. I place the sky transfer actions onto existing linedefs within the maps. I only rebuild nodes because I couldn't figure out how not to, and I wanted not to. I rebuild all nodes with Zennode, which I think is the standard nodebuilder anyway, so hopefully there won't be problems. If I figured out how to easily place sky transfer actions without rebuilding nodes, I'd even scrap and redo my previous work on them.

scifista, I really don't want to make you hurry, but it's March already and we still don't even a full alpha at the very least, not even talking about DMP2016 thread...or did I just miss that one?

Alright, my fault, sorry for the delay. Adding sky transfers to an_mutt's and Pinchy's maps was very tiring, but admittedly I could have finished it earlier if I pushed myself to do so.

Compilation of Boom maps (first alpha version) finished:

> > > DMP15B - Alpha 1 < < <

What is included:
- 18 maps
- All textures and music used by these maps
- DEHACKED with automap names
- CWILV intermission signs

Possibly looking for:
- custom title music, intermission music, and intermission texts

Needs your playtesting to:
- check for critical bugs in maps
- check if all maps are actually the latest versions posted
- check if I wrote everybody's nicknames and map names right in the DEHACKED and CWILVs
- discuss map order
- check if skies are correct and if there aren't bleeding skies due to incorrect sky transfers

Maplist:

Slot    Author           Map name                          Reason why I put it into this mapslot

MAP01   SFoZ911          The Magical Mystery Tour Begins   The most MAP01-ish of them all, also nice and unique themed.
MAP02   Impboy4          Base X Of Phobos                  Very short.
MAP03   TheNerdTurtle2   Haunted Bunker                    Relatively short, moderately hard.
MAP04   Katamori         Doomed Monument                   Seemingly expansive, but not that long, and quite easy.
MAP05   Scypek2          Boom format                       Moderately hard, fun gimmicky map.
MAP06   NoisyVelvet      Find The Magic Pixel              Gimmicky, gives out the BFG.
MAP07   Obsidian         Morose Tint my World              Gimmicky too, but with more gameplay substance, variable difficulty.
MAP08   scifista42       Space Base Powered By 3           Medium sized, variable difficulty.
MAP09   Z0k              Another TechBase                  Large, variable difficulty.
MAP10   Finakala         Praise the Lowered                Hard only due to slaughter traps, relatively foilable by escaping.
MAP11   Du Mhan Yhu      Water Facility                    Increase in monster count, kinda slow but definitely Doom-ish gameplay.
MAP12   JudgeDeadd       Bleeding Hearts and Artists       Atmospheric, relatively slow gameplay, moderate to hard difficulty.
MAP13   an_mutt          I can't put enough quotation...   A bit faster gameplay, moderate to hard difficulty.
MAP14   Pinchy           Crypt of the Revenant Dancer      Atmospheric, increase in monster count, moderate to hard difficulty.
MAP15   gaspe            Hyperion Space Colony             Faster gameplay again, quite hard and fun.
MAP16   CWolfRu          Insanity in number                Very long map, kinda atmospheric, moderate to hard difficulty.
MAP17   Demonologist     Vox Populi                        Tough slaughtermap.
MAP18   pcorf            Spaceswitch 2                     Preknowledge based map.
I changed an_mutt's map name on the automap to make it fit there, and I added sky transfers to most maps with custom skies.

Again, I welcome any honest feedback, particularly feedback related to my requests that I wrote earlier in this post.

---

In other news, here are reuploads of the DMP15A wads, and I changed the mapper names in CWILV signs to green color, to make them different from the "FINISHED" graphic.

> > > DMP15A - Alpha 3 < < <

> > > DMP15A - Alpha 3 Alt < < <

Fuck Yeah! I'll take a look on the boom compilation alpha, hoping to don't wait geological ages for the zdoom comp

* MAP12 has a big ugly visual glitch in the outside area, however this seems to be a nodebuilder problem and it went away when I rebuilt the nodes in ZDBSP
* The LAVFALL1 texture isn't animated (only one animation frame is present in the WAD, the rest is missing)
* My username in the CWILV sprite has some stray red pixels on it

That's all I noticed at this moment...

Just played the first 4 maps so far. SFoZ911's map is really cool, lovely textures. Kudos for the waifus posters in Katamori's map.

JudgeDeadd said:

* My username in the CWILV sprite has some stray red pixels on it

Yeah, it appears on the "d" letter in every CWILVs actually.

Not many problems found so far during my play of the boom episode(played until map12 so far, skipped map05 and map09 since i've already played them):

Album of pictured bugs: http://imgur.com/a/MHdt8

And more observation about the episode here:

- MAP04 midi is horrible

- MAP07 music (and general audio) doesn't work, due to a module music for the level

- MAP10 crushes due to some zdoomims in the map (there's the ashwall3 walls as floors, making crush the map)

- i've got stuck in MAP12 giant blue key room (yeah, but i also missed some parts when i played it, so...)

Overall, this episode have a lot of good maps so far, congrats to all!

walter confalonieri said:

- MAP07 music (and general audio) doesn't work, due to a module music for the level

I do have a MIDI kicking around that sounds similar, but the module is a bit nicer sounding and accurate. I can pop the MIDI in though if there's enough demand.

Issues I found during a quick analysis of dmp2015b_alpha1.wad:

missing coop starts: 4, 6, 8, 10, 13, 17
map12: extraneous P2 and P4 start
map16: lines 11331, 11332 are W1 monster teles but should probably be WR monster teles, otherwise monsters could get stuck in the away sectors

Also, I'm putting together a server configuration... do any of the maps need item drop-off enabled?

walter confalonieri said:

- MAP04 midi is horrible

I disagree. It's fun listening to the tune of the Scottish folk song also used for the hymn "Praise to the Man" while playing Doom!

I especially could not help but repeat the chorus over and over in my mind while injecting demons with lead XD

gaspe, they aren't waifus, please don't use this word because that implies that my passion is like an obsession which clearly isn't true - otherwise, thank you!

walter, it's a matter of taste, I really really love it that's why I choose. Obake, does it have a chorus in the original? I've heard only ab instrumental version.

Obsidian said:

I do have a MIDI kicking around that sounds similar, but the module is a bit nicer sounding and accurate. I can pop the MIDI in though if there's enough demand.

There's a MIDI of that in jumpmaze MAP31.

rhinoduck said:

map12: extraneous P2 and P4 start

Thing #176 and thing #3 are the real deal, the other starts (#2 and #4) can be deleted.

Boom set steals the show again it seems, some maps are better, some are worse, but overall this was a surprisingly solid compilation in spite of the inevitable nuances. Too bad cannonball decided to stick to LR and tributism this time around...

- JudgeDeadd's map has come as a real surprise, I gotta say that I was truly impressed. The theme, the atmosphere, the gameplay that keeps slowly increasing its velocity as the player progresses - all was great in there, thank you very much, that's a map to remember.

- An_mutt seems to have fully developed his own style, it'd be hard not to recognize his approach here. Looks much like his Nova 2 contribution, only miles away from being as convoluted, and the gameplay is notably more fierce, not a bad thing at all, mind you. Cool stuff.

- Gaspe's blastfest is obviously another map worth mentioning, reverence towards Deus Vult was surely noticed. Fun and action-packed.

- And of course this wouldn't be complete without another one of scifista's space stations, heh. Keep 'em coming, buddy! Simple but certainly enjoyable, also traditionally made even more amusing with its layers of subtle humor.

- I'd also like to give Obsidian a moderate cheer for once, while his gimmicks and combat scenarios still aren't something that makes me super excited (especialy the dual AV room, would've been so much more fun if those lifts were not synchronized) - the mood and aesthetics surely did resonate with me, reminded me of Wrack and some other stuff I won't be able to name I'm afraid. Fitting music track, too.

Overall it's certainly possible to say that there is a soul in this mapset, good to see more people starting to treat this whole thing as something serious and not just a trash can for random silliness.

New version:

> > > DMP15B - Alpha 2 < < <

Changes:
- Fixed coop starts on maps 04, 06, 08, 10, 12, 13 and 17.
- Fixed LAVFALL animation.
- Fixed red pixels on CWILVS. (also in DMP15A wads, but without reuploading them)
- Changed ASHWALL3 ceilings on MAP10 to FLOOR6_2.
- Rebuilt nodes on MAP10 (because of no REJECT) and MAP12 (because of a nodebuilder error).
- W1 monster teleports on MAP16 are now WR.

In response to walter confalonieri's reports:
- The sector in MAP03 is a blue keycard pedestal and not a lift, no problem.
- HOM at the start of MAP05 appears to be intentional.
- MAP07 music plays in PrBoom-plus, so it's OK.
- Slime trails are not going to be addressed. Besides, I couldn't see them in PrBoom-plus.
- Giant blue keycard room in MAP12 is beatable, you need to press a switch in the water around the arena, then ride a lift to press another switch, then press another switch in the water, then ride another lift to another switch, and then leave the area and find the key in the map.