Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

Doom 2 Redux (Mapset Complete. Beta Release Incoming)

New map01

Much improved, far more polished looking, but still keeping original areas eg chainsaw secret and the lowering zombieman platforms. In the chainsaw secret, i'd have the imps deaf as on my playthrough i instinctively fired at one of them then they all rushed me in the doorway and denied me the chance to saw the little buggers- I had to pistol them all down. The window looking out onto the helipad area has some texture misalignments, as did the blue key door- door is too tall for the texture used.
One time secret in the first hellish area, doesn't bother me but might wind some folks up.
Overall much better, was able to max it (with noclip for the soulsphere secret that I missed first time), good stuff

dt_ said:

New map01

Much improved, far more polished looking, but still keeping original areas eg chainsaw secret and the lowering zombieman platforms. In the chainsaw secret, i'd have the imps deaf as on my playthrough i instinctively fired at one of them then they all rushed me in the doorway and denied me the chance to saw the little buggers- I had to pistol them all down. The window looking out onto the helipad area has some texture misalignments, as did the blue key door- door is too tall for the texture used.
One time secret in the first hellish area, doesn't bother me but might wind some folks up.
Overall much better, was able to max it (with noclip for the soulsphere secret that I missed first time), good stuff

10-4 good buddy! I'll deafen the brown bastards and make those texture alignments. As far as the soulsphere secret, I'm sure I can whip something up to make it accessible but hidden so you don't have to hit the switch before you teleport.

I'll do that stuff today and request a final playtest and call it done.

Joe's map has been added to the slot, and I have posted the newest version of Map01, and I also made some changes to Map02. The changes to Map02 were mostly aesthetic, but I did remove the chaingunners and replace them with sergeants.

ALSO

In Map01, I replaced all of the Mortres.wad textures with Gothictx.wad textures. We can't use both, otherwise we lose the Fireblu texture.

REALLY early WIP Chasm shot:

NX i'm happy to keep going with this for now if that's good with you? At least until the basic map layout is in place, cause i've got it planned out in my head.

scotty said:

REALLY early WIP Chasm shot:

http://i.imgur.com/lR8FI7I.png

NX i'm happy to keep going with this for now if that's good with you? At least until the basic map layout is in place, cause i've got it planned out in my head.

I'm liking what I'm seeing so far, brother. Keep up the good work.

scotty said:

Sure, feel free to take as long as you need.

tomatoKetchup said:

Alright, here's my submission for the MAP31.

https://mega.nz/#!xglQ0bpT!Sx4rDWKcpOIDk8pze2DqPCPWQFORguHTe5YhvqlNLE0

It's called "Behind the scene", and uses only a little bit of Wolfenstein textures.

A few screenshots:

http://sd-1.archive-host.com/membres/up/184012419515097412/Doom/map31-SS.png

Enjoy (hopefully) and please comment!

I like the screenshots! It looks very much like a classic map! I'll play it today when I get a chance. It looks challenging.

I didn't use the Gotchic texture pack, hence the classic look. Couldn't find it, neither on IDGames archives nor by googling it. Hope it doesn't matter.

I tried out the new MAP01. I got stuck at the outdoor area with the helipad. Maybe the player is too large to cross the WR lift linedefs before being blocked by the lift itself. Maybe you should push the WR lift linedefs a bit East so the player can fit in between? Or fix whatever other problem it might be?

Gustavo6046 said:

I tried out the new MAP01. I got stuck at the outdoor area with the helipad. Maybe the player is too large to cross the WR lift linedefs before being blocked by the lift itself. Maybe you should push the WR lift linedefs a bit East so the player can fit in between? Or fix whatever other problem it might be?

I don't have any lifts in the outdoor area. The only linedef action I have out there at all is a D1 Open Wait Stay.

I didn't find it then, because I got stuck. I could send the FDA to you if you really wish.

I pressed use EVERYwhere I could!

Gustavo6046 said:

I didn't find it then, because I got stuck. I could send the FDA to you if you really wish.

I pressed use EVERYwhere I could!

Yes, please send me a screenshot. If the door that you open to get into the outside area is closing, that's a problem.

TraceOfSpades said:

Here is the fixed and updated version of Map01: http://www.mediafire.com/download/wl8fyiv0yr1qxyc/entryredux.wad

I've also added an exit sign for new players who won't recognize the exit door.

Other changes made: Made various difficulty settings with added monsters.

Requires Mortres.wad

A little late for reviewing this, but whatever. I liked it a lot more than your previous submission due to the fact that it simply is more reminiscent of vanilla MAP01. However, I would suggest using linedef action 207 for the surprise teleports; gives it a much cooler effect IMO.

Linedef Action 207 does not exist in the Doom in Doom Format format.

EDIT: Scratch that. It does, and I like it.

Gustavo6046 said:

What door? I go there via a window!

By the way, here is the FDA direct link. You can see me stuck at it's end.

Going through that window without noclip is impossible, as I have set the linedef to impassable.

tomatoKetchup said:

https://mega.nz/#!xglQ0bpT!Sx4rDWKcpOIDk8pze2DqPCPWQFORguHTe5YhvqlNLE0

It's called "Behind the scene", and uses only a little bit of Wolfenstein textures.

A few screenshots:

http://sd-1.archive-host.com/membres/up/184012419515097412/Doom/map31-SS.png

I LOVE the start of this map. Totally took me by surprise.

Spoiler

I didn't think I did idclev right or I loaded the wad wrong, then the walls came down and I was amazed. Maybe add some pinkies on the main floor so taking out the formers isn't like shooting fish in a barrel, give me something to dodge while I'm taking them out!

Unfortunately, I stopped playing right after the yellow key because I came across a third archvile...I'd rather avoid a third one. Two is fine, but anything more and you're toeing that line of spamming. Doing this from a pistol start on Ultra Violence is pretty much impossible for me.

Another issue I had was the lack of ammo in the Dual Archie room. I think that there should be a large ammo cache where the imps are standing...I don't know, just a bunch of ammo laying about as if the Imps just took out a huge group of soldiers and the remnant of said troops are a bunch of guns and ammo. That would make it a bit less insane.

Another issue was when you drop down in between two Barons in tight quarters. This makes it absolutely impossible to get through if you are at a pistol start. Either open up the area so you can run from them if you want to, or change them to Hell knights and put an SSG within grabbing range once you fall in there.

Would you be willing to make some changes so it's possible from a pistol start?

I did like the first two archies you come across. That makes for a challenging battle! Again, just more ammo laying about.

Well, it's been a while since I've made any updates. Currently I've been working on map 29: The living end in place of Wildmajora. I want it to be a fast pace and intense experience.
Here's a few screen shots

It's not even half way done yet by the way.

Map 15: Industrial Zone is also being worked on tough very slowly. I don't like the way it's coming along. It might be a while till it's done.

nxGangrel said:

Well, it's been a while since I've made any updates. Currently I've been working on map 29: The living end in place of Wildmajora. I want it to be a fast pace and intense experience.
Here's a few screen shots
http://i.imgur.com/KuUHFLk.png
http://i.imgur.com/kp3kjFJ.png
It's not even half way done yet by the way.

Map 15: Industrial Zone is also being worked on tough very slowly. I don't like the way it's coming along. It might be a while till it's done.

Two cybies in one area is odd to me. What would you think about replacing one cyber with four Hell knights, kind of like bodyguards to an important political figure.

Two cybies in one place isn't really a bad thing, per se. They do, however, need to pose some sort of real danger, as opposed to something you can just easily circlestrafe. I'd suggest adding some monsters that would get in your way and make you very mindful of not getting rocket(s) to the face.

AD_79 said:

Two cybies in one place isn't really a bad thing, per se. They do, however, need to pose some sort of real danger, as opposed to something you can just easily circlestrafe. I'd suggest adding some monsters that would get in your way and make you very mindful of not getting rocket(s) to the face.

That would make it better...but I think it's a little redundant. Like, one cyber demon looks Godlike...two takes away from that stature. A cyber demon and spider mastermind are supposed to be virtually unmatched in their arenas. But when there's another one in there next to them...I don't know. Maybe it's just me.

Does anybody else care to add their teowo cents on this?

Two cybies plus maybe some pinkies (or spectres if you're sadistic) will be fine for UV, I think. MAP29 is the final challenge before the Icon of Sin. Actually, it's kind of like the Bruiser Brothers from E1M8, but in Cyber form. With a cinematic entrance two Cybers could be way more imposing than just one.

TraceOfSpades said:

I didn't think I did idclev right or I loaded the wad wrong, then the walls came down and I was amazed. Maybe add some pinkies on the main floor so taking out the formers isn't like shooting fish in a barrel, give me something to dodge while I'm taking them out!

I'll rethink that start ok.

TraceOfSpades said:

Unfortunately, I stopped playing right after the yellow key because I came across a third archvile...I'd rather avoid a third one. Two is fine, but anything more and you're toeing that line of spamming. Doing this from a pistol start on Ultra Violence is pretty much impossible for me.

Not sure I understand what you mean, the archviles are in different areas of the map and there isn't more than two at a time in the whole map. I'm ok to take some out if you really want, but I'd like a second opinion.

TraceOfSpades said:

Another issue I had was the lack of ammo in the Dual Archie room. I think that there should be a large ammo cache where the imps are standing...I don't know, just a bunch of ammo laying about as if the Imps just took out a huge group of soldiers and the remnant of said troops are a bunch of guns and ammo. That would make it a bit less insane.

Yes I will add more rockets around that area so.

TraceOfSpades said:

Another issue was when you drop down in between two Barons in tight quarters. This makes it absolutely impossible to get through if you are at a pistol start. Either open up the area so you can run from them if you want to, or change them to Hell knights and put an SSG within grabbing range once you fall in there.

Yes I admit that passage is a bit sadistic, I'd make it more easy.

Also it looks like you missed the SSG at the very beginning of the map (in the first room, where the Troopers are), maybe that's why you found the overall map too hard? In that case I might change its position so players going directly through the other door won't miss it.

I personnally finished the map on UV from pistol start, and although I know it's my map and it's thus easier for me, I'm not a great doom player and still managed to finish it without lacking ammo. But then again that's the reason why you need other people to test and I will definitely make any change necessary to have my map part of this megawad!

tomatoKetchup said:

Just played it and loved the concept and general attention to detail. I have to agree with Trace here and say that the map is very tough. I died once in the first area beyond the lift because I didn't get the SSG, which I think should be less out of the way. I don't have a problem with Arch-Viles, but they have to be used in the right situations to be challenging without being annoying. The first pair with the imps are great, but the rest feel either redundant or cheap. There are also a lot of claustrophobic clusterfuck traps where I feel my survival was more down to luck than anything. I would also suggest adding a couple of Rocket Boxes for the final area, I don't want to be forced to burn all my Cell ammo to deal with a horde like that.

The two Cybers are probably going to be a pain in the ass to anyone who isn't experienced with 2-shotting them with the BFG. Luckily Sunlust prepared me for that, but I don't think that's the skill level expected of players for this mapset.

Another flaw I noticed: I managed to get stuck after grabbing the BFG. Couldn't find a way out without cheating since I fell off the pillar. The last pillar that raises and allows you to get out also has an untextured side.

TraceOfSpades said:

That would make it better...but I think it's a little redundant. Like, one cyber demon looks Godlike...two takes away from that stature. A cyber demon and spider mastermind are supposed to be virtually unmatched in their arenas. But when there's another one in there next to them...I don't know. Maybe it's just me.

Does anybody else care to add their teowo cents on this?

I'm thinking to keep the two cybers just for UV. I'm not entirely sure what monsters could go well in the "arena" so I'll have to experiment with it. There are six revanant towers on the side of platform but they don't pose much threat once you're up there.