Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fredrik

Useless Knowledge, Pt. 27138

If my (Julian's, rather) calculations are correct, then...

... the mean RGB value of DOOM:

... the mean RGB value of QUAKE:

NiGHTMARE said:

What about Quake 2? Something orange, presumably?

The output was a low-saturated shade of blue. Which seems odd. I'm not sure if the program works properly. That's why I added "(Julian's, rather)", so I can blame him if it really is wrong :P

Heh, I thought Julian edited that to take back some of the credit your ego tried to steal :P

The main RGB values of Doom and Quake are red Xs? Wow, I would have never guessed that :p

This is where you tell us how this was calculated.

Did you take into account every level and thing placed in every level, the colors of all the flats and textures and sprites, and the changes of the colors due to light level of the sector it is in? How did you determine how much the sky should count? What about sectors with changing light levels? Does each frame of an animated texture count for a fraction of that texture?

Linguica said:

This is where you tell us how this was calculated.

Did you take into account every level and thing placed in every level, the colors of all the flats and textures and sprites, and the changes of the colors due to light level of the sector it is in? How did you determine how much the sky should count? What about sectors with changing light levels? Does each frame of an animated texture count for a fraction of that texture?

No. I used a complex superstring transformation algorithm to calculate the exact state of the entire universe with infinite precision over all time, and derived the fraction of it that makes up the binary representations of the particular computer game called DOOM that have occurred in computer systems on Earth, from which position I could easily sort out the screen data, add and divide, thus getting an exact RGB value, which I just had to round off to an integer value and subtract by two due to a factoring error I later discovered in the original configuration parameters for the program.

Fredrik said:

subtract by two due to a factoring error I later discovered in the original configuration parameters for the program.

*WE* later discovered... should I say *I*? :P
Anyway, this is mainly due to the Josephson effect. And to be precise, we subtract 2/3(PI) BEFORE converting to int for obvious reasons (ever heard of the Doppler or cosmological effect?).

To be exact, you should take the number of occurrences of each texture, find the number of occurrences of each patch from this, then find the mean colour value biased by the number of times colours are actually used in the game, rather than just averaging the palette which is presumably what you did.

To be exact, you'd even have to consider the area of each wall, light levels, visibility, proximity to the main path through the level etc etc.

Fredrik said:

No. I used a complex superstring transformation algorithm to calculate the exact state of the entire universe with infinite precision over all time, and derived the fraction of it that makes up the binary representations of the particular computer game called DOOM that have occurred in computer systems on Earth, from which position I could easily sort out the screen data, add and divide, thus getting an exact RGB value, which I just had to round off to an integer value and subtract by two due to a factoring error I later discovered in the original configuration parameters for the program.

You forgot to add 1. :)

desolatordave said:

So you just averaged the palet, right?

Yes, that's one way to interpret it.

Fredrik said:

NO?!?!?!

AHHHHHHHHHHH

This is some useless knowledge you know...well, I already knew Quake was brown.

Fredrik said:

So much needless verbal diarrhea.