Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
s13n1

Doom Wii U Edition

Doom 64 is loved by many, and I myself was drooling over any new screenshot I could find back in the day. It turned out to be not quite as good as I had hoped, but it was great to see a fresh and exclusive version for the Ultra, uh, I mean Nintendo 64.

I love my Wii U and would love to see another exclusive Doom title.

So let's imagine for a moment that it's the good old days of gaming, publishers haven't taken over the games industry and developers still make games for love instead of multi platform sales driven contracts.

The Wii U comes along and it's a new console that doesn't have the obligatory Doom title. It has innovative new hardware that could be put to use in new and exciting ways.

Doom 3 is the latest version, but it's been out for a while and a straight port is out of the question. The flashlight didn't sit well with gamers and they would have preferred a more classic type of Doom.

So, What would you expect from an exclusive Wii U edition of Doom?

What kind of controls would you prefer, Wiimote + Nunchuck or Touchpad + Wiimote?

How would you like to see the touch screen utilized?

As far as graphics go, I would expect it to be halfway between I'd tech 4 and 5. The Wii U is no slouch, it can produce some lovely visuals.

Share you're thoughts!

Doom 64 and PSX Doom are the best console ports, man. Or did you want another cut-down DOS version?

As for the Wii U, I really liked Dead Space: Extraction, so I'd like another game like that in the Doom Universe. With good horror atmosphere and story. Maybe you are the first teleportation human subject and you find yourself in Hell and kill stuff. And when you emerge victorious and untainted by the demons ... you find out they sent other humans through anyway and they came back as zombies and spread the taint lolz.

I'd rather have a Doom game/compilation for the upcoming Nintendo NX, but I figure that's a long shot because id and Nintendo aren't really the best of friends...

I feel like it would be a sequel to Doom 64, with the same atmosphere and so forth. The touch pad can be used for a map and quick item swapping. Still though, it can't all be the same. There needs to be a new weapon, or a new demon, or a new mechanic at the least. It needs something to differentiate it.
With the new hardware, multiplayer is possible, and it needs to happen. Of course we'll have standard co-op and deathmatch, but we need a new feature. My idea is that the one using the touchpad is a cyberdemon, and the rest (the ones using the wiimote and nunchucks.) are trying to take it down. It would be a cool (but gimmicky) feature.

And we need amiibos. An imp, doomguy, and John Romero's head on a pike.

Psycho11704 said:

And we need amiibos. An imp, doomguy, and John Romero's head on a pike.

And the Revenant. We can't forget about that damn skeleton!

HavoX said:

id and Nintendo aren't really the best of friends...

It's not 1993 anymore. Both companies and the whole industry landscape have changed quite a bit since then.

I personally would love an "id classics" series for Wii U. A wolf3d/SoD bundle, a Doom2/doom2 bundle, and a doom64/final doom bundle. I mean honestly, they'd make a pretty penny just for a compilation. I don't see why not.

Would sprite based monsters be pushing it?

If the payoff is having loads of enemies on screen at once, and they were high resolution with good animations so they looked really good, surely people could look past it? You could use normal maps and specular maps etc so they had nicer lighting.

If just one 3D character has 1000 polys. A 2d Sprite is essentially only two polys. Do the math.

I'm not sure how many polys the Wii U can push, I'll have to look into it.

So Interactive auto map, with touch controls for weapon selection are obvious. But it it could also be used for keypad input and interacting with computer terminals to read info or download new map data, or to view cameras for locating items or secret rooms.

It needs to be simple though. So once you're close to a computer terminal or keypad you can interact with, the controller vibrates or makes a sound prompting you to look down at it. On the screen is then visual controls for that device, either a keypad or simple computer gui. You could have secret doors and item compartments that can only be opened this way, rewarding players who interact with the environment a bit more. It wouldn't slow the game down because the action would always remain active on the T.V screen. If something happened, you just look up and get back to shooting.

You could even have control over rising stair cases, or the level of toxic slime pits. Setting up traps or blocking off monsters or even other players.

You could have Keycard icons on the lower scene and once a gui card reader is displayed, you can drag them over the reader to simulate swiping them.

Items such as light amplification and hazard suits could be toggled on the touch screen. Keep them time limited, but you can turn them on and off until they run out. You can then design levels that require precise use of them to navigate a dark areas or slime pits.

An almost obligatory use for the touch screen in Wii U FPS games is for some alternative vision modes that you can use to scan for certain things. Using the controllers gyro you can look around and scan the room, but this kinda thing could slow a game like Doom down quite a bit? It would be cool if light under secret doors was only visible this way though.

I do really like the scanning elements in Metroid Prime, as it feels like your putting your hardware to good use, trying to discover as much about your enemies and environment as possible. Perhaps scanning of monsters and items to fill out a virtual catalogue would be nice?

You could have first encounters with new monster types more difficult than usual (+25-50% health), but once you've scanned them, either alive or dead, they revert to normal health levels. To give the illusion of scanning them to find a weakness or understanding them better.

I always got a kick out of the instruction manual that came with SNES Doom. It had these little profiles for each enemie with images that were captured from the security cameras.

I really like the idea of accessing the computer system for a new level and getting a print out of what species have been seen on the video cameras. In a more complex game, this could allow for custom equipment load outs based on what you're up against. I don't think this really works for Doom though.

Perhaps during level load screens, you can have a classic intermission map screen showing your progression through different levels, and on the controller screen, blurry CCTV captures of whats been happening in the base you're about to enter.

Control over Doom 3 sentry units could be done via the touch pad. That would be very cool. Using the auto map to give it navigation commands or even remote controlling it 100%.

I'm sure there's thousands of cool ideas we can come up with.

I'm going to buy Deus Ex for the Wii U this weekend and give that a go. Some people say it's the best version available as the touch pad provides so much more depth to the game. Anyone here played the Wii U version?

Thing is, in the end Hi-res sprites use way more RAM than 3D Models, not to mention being a metric ton more expensive to make (dozens of frames x 8 rotations, jesus man there's a reason Disney gave up on traditional animation). So you'd be losing an arguably more important resource that way.

Doomguy amiibo?

-edit-

But to add something of more substance:

The motion controls in Splatoon are the closest thing that I've experienced on a console to using a mouse in a shooter - still not perfect, but so much better than the regular twin-stick - so that would be essential, I'd say.

This idea sounds ambitious, but you know how Nintendo is with thier stupid policy, violence, gore, blood or anything related must be low, because children, unless they change thier policy, i don't think it's gonna happen.

VGA said:

Doom 64 and PSX Doom are the best console ports, man. Or did you want another cut-down DOS version?

As for the Wii U, I really liked Dead Space: Extraction, so I'd like another game like that in the Doom Universe. With good horror atmosphere and story. Maybe you are the first teleportation human subject and you find yourself in Hell and kill stuff. And when you emerge victorious and untainted by the demons ... you find out they sent other humans through anyway and they came back as zombies and spread the taint lolz.

Oh dear god i love it.

J.B.R said:

This idea sounds ambitious, but you know how Nintendo is with thier stupid policy, violence, gore, blood or anything related must be low, because children, unless they change thier policy, i don't think it's gonna happen.

Because Nintendo never published Bayonetta or Eternal Darkness, right?

J.B.R said:

Something tells me you haven't seen a Nintendo game in a while.

J.B.R said:

*cough* Manhunt 2 *cough*

Meh, forget it, my post above was an misunderstanding, what i was trying to say is that
Nintendo of America has a more strict policy in mature games than the Nintendo of Japan.
And because of that, it would be harder for Doom to be released on the Wii U.

Conker's Bad Fur Day on N64 was pretty racy, and, ironically, the Xbox port has less adult content than the Nintendo counterpart.

Which is odd considering how that game was originally intended for adults, they must have forgotten that or something.

J.B.R said:

Meh, forget it, my post above was an misunderstanding, what i was trying to say is that
Nintendo of America has a more strict policy in mature games than the Nintendo of Japan.

You literally have no idea what you're talking about.

Spoiler

While Doom IS actually running on my Wii U, I did cheat a little bit - you might notice it's the SNES port, which is running in SNES9x-GX through Homebrew Channel. An awful lot of effort for an elaborate shitpost. =P

Why not run the Wii port of Chocolate Doom? That would probably be the best solution for playing Doom on the Wii U at this present moment.

Danfun64 said:

Why not run the Wii port of Chocolate Doom? That would probably be the best solution for playing Doom on the Wii U at this present moment.

The problem with that is that it'd take (more) effort*. And, like I said, shitposting. =P

*and by that I mean I already happened to have a set of SNES ROMs on my SD card when the idea occurred to me

Psycho11704 said:

Would there be a way to run Doom 64 on that?

Well, there are some N64 emulators available for Wii; the Wii64 compat list has this to say about Doom 64:

tiny graphical glitch at the start of the missions move foward afew steps and then the game is perfect, need to assign c stick-left and right to other buttons besides an analog stick because you need to press both buttons at the same time to save and load(recomend x,y)

It says it runs "100% with few or no issues" on Not64 20150205. The only thing I can't vouch for is how well it performs.

J.B.R said:

considering that Binding of Isaac: Rebirth of all things is currently available on the Wii U, i would say that their policy has changed pretty substantially from what you're familiar with. the only thing determining whether or not some variation of Doom shows up on the Wii U is whether anyone involved thinks that the money to be made is worth the effort required.

just for the love of god dont make me use the wiimote to look around it is horrible.

cant even enjoy metroid prime trilogy with the wiimote.