Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

Linguica said:

If you load MAP01 (in Choco) and just strafe left and right, you stop dead when you hit the left wall but bounce a little when you hit the right wall.

And fun is unly begins. this is happans in evety port and vanilla BUT only if you run. but here is something more interesting: in source ports you will also most likilly bounce forward since you hit right diagonal wall behind, but not in the vanilla

Linguica said:

If you load MAP01 (in Choco) and just strafe left and right, you stop dead when you hit the left wall but bounce a little when you hit the right wall.

I tried to reproduce this. The results were inconclusive: I bounced once off the right side wall, only when I started moving from the left wall. In other words I needed the whole width of the ledge as a run-up in order to be pushed forward. This did not occur every time I tried the full-width run-up, only the once.

Still it makes sense, if somehow the engine thinks you hit the angled back wall behind the right wall, P_SlideMove would be expected to push you forward a little. There is of course no such angled wall to bounce off behind the left wall.

I thought Linguica didn't actually mean bouncing forward, but bouncing slightly into the opposite direction of the movement before you correct yourself with the wall. That is, when running right and hitting the wall, you get bounced to the left for a brief moment. But when running left and hitting the wall, you don't get bounced to the right.

This is what I mean. It happens even if you move forward a little so there is no chance you are hitting a diagonal wall.

(citation needed:)

Heh - Any idea what's going on? Related to wall-running/sliding perhaps? And, ,yeah, that's something I never noticed: Your hand and gun actually raise up on both left and right views. I guess it's always done that..? I can't believe I am STILL seeing new things with Doom!

Ok, I need everyone's thoughts on this, right now, please!

My guess is that P_SlideMove() doesn't properly account for the direction of movement and ends up acting slightly differently.

I tried rebuilding MAP01 in a few nodebuilders. When I rebuilt the nodes in BSP and DeepBSP, the bounce was gone. So, I thought, "well there you go, it's down to some quirk in DoomBSP".

But, then I tried rebuilding in Zennode. The bounce remained. I even double checked it was rebuilding the nodes by deleting the NODES, REJECT and BLOCKMAP lumps.

So, I'm not sure what's going on here. Why do most nodebuilders remove the bounce but Zennode retains it?

It could be argued that the Quake rocket launcher looks like one as well, which is a shame when it was ported to TF2 as "The Original", as younger gamers who didn't get the Quake reference thought more about what it looked like.

Danfun64 said:

It could be argued that the Quake rocket launcher looks like one as well, which is a shame when it was ported to TF2 as "The Original", as younger gamers who didn't get the Quake reference thought more about what it looked like.

In all fairness, it looks even more like a dick when it's the only centered weapon in a game where literally every other weapon isn't.

I just realized that the MAP05/MAP13 music track, titled "DOOM", has vocals.

With the proper Roland SC-55 instrument sounds, there is literally a voice that sings "DOOM".

My life had no meaning until now.

It's been too long since I wrote it to remember. Were the shitty hacks just the mistakes of a poor coder, or was there a deliberate plan to inflict pain on Linguica?

'Block monster' linedefs blocks barrels from accelerating across it. I demonstrated that in "Hell clash" boss map.

I think the overall structure of the code is all right, but there are definitely issues. The lack of doctests and unit tests is the worst offense, and those would help a lot when trying to understand the code (the documentation is lacking, generally). Do you have in mind some specific example of terrible code in there?

I've found the omgifol API to be a bit cumbersome and counterintuitive to use. I think my criticism might be that it tries too hard to provide high-level abstractions that I don't necessarily want or need. Often I just want the ability to open a WAD and decode particular lumps, but I have to jump through hoops to do that.

What a lot of people seem to forget when they bring up Doomguy's portrayal in the Doom comic is that towards the latter half he begins speaking quite eloquently ("As I stride knee-deep through the dead, all is clear. I know what must be done..." and "Let loose your volley of death, Cyberdemon! You struggle in vain!" sounds like something a fancy pantsy medievil character would say).

The BFG clearly has the word "BFG" embedded on it, but I don't think it's visible in-game. You have to examine the part of the sprite that gets cut off.

Jaxxoon R said:

What a lot of people seem to forget when they bring up Doomguy's portrayal in the Doom comic is that towards the latter half he begins speaking quite eloquently ("As I stride knee-deep through the dead, all is clear. I know what must be done..." and "Let loose your volley of death, Cyberdemon! You struggle in vain!" sounds like something a fancy pantsy medievil character would say).

Medieval not medievil you redneck.

Fredrik said:

With the proper Roland SC-55 instrument sounds, there is literally a voice that sings "DOOM".

My life had no meaning until now.

In what part?

Da Werecat said:

There's a DSSKLDTH sound in Doom IWADs - yet another wall humping sound duplicate. SNES Doom actually uses wall humping sound for lost soul's death.

Oddly, I can't find any info on this sound anywhere.. What gives, was this the lost soul death sound at one stage in development? Is it possible to use this sound to give, say, Imps a custom pain sound with DEHACKED? I find it odd that there doesn't seem to be any mention of why this exists anywhere, at least not that I can find..

Doomkid said:

Oddly, I can't find any info on this sound anywhere.. What gives, was this the lost soul death sound at one stage in development? Is it possible to use this sound to give, say, Imps a custom pain sound with DEHACKED? I find it odd that there doesn't seem to be any mention of why this exists anywhere, at least not that I can find..

Yes you can use this sound safely without causing any weird side effects. It's sound number 66 if you want to use it in Dehacked. The full name of the lmp is 'DSSKLDTH'.

TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

The intro of the song. It's more noticeable on some other GM sets besides the SC-55.

That's one better. You actually can hear "tuuum", unlike the other one where it sounds like "oooooooommm".

Innovative idea. I wonder if the other id staff heard it before the inclusion in the game, or if it was an late addition by b. prince to surprise them.

Fredrik said:

In some languages, it's very common to "sing" or rather hum a song's melody with sounds such as "dum", "zum", "dam", "tam" etc.

E.g. Doomguy "singing" Doom E1M1: