Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VGA

SMOOTHED (Smooth monsters for Doom Retro and Crispy Doom)

Loving this with the black ops addon, great work!

It's nice to see someone port the fun little aesthetics over to Retro.

Xenaero said:

Loving this with the black ops addon, great work!

It's nice to see someone port the fun little aesthetics over to Retro.

Thanks.

Doom Retro v2.1 which just came out has fixed the casting call issue.

Links are up.

Why aren't the OneDrive links working though :(

Links updated, savage gif added

R.I.P. 56k modem users
(1997 - 2016)

Is there any chance of this being made compatible with PrBoom+, just like the Black Ops mod? That would be great *.*

DANZA said:

Is there any chance of this being made compatible with PrBoom+, just like the Black Ops mod? That would be great *.*

This needs some additions to the DEHACKED support of the port, there was no way to complete this mod without pestering Doom Retro's developer to add more states etc.

The changes needed are discussed here with the developer of Crispy Doom, who may make the changes for his port to support SMOOTHED.
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/84859-black-ops-smooth-weapons-dehacked-mod/2/

In order not to derail the "Black Ops" thread any further (sorry for that!) I will repeat my last question here:

I am a moron! I was missing a single fscking comma in the sprnames[] array, so two consecutive entries were concatenated. Fixing this and adding Doom Retro's additional BLD2 sprite in between seems to have finally fixed this. \o/

I remember there were issues with A_RandomJump() being applied to weapon states, how do I trigger this? And I remember the cast ending being broken by this. Anything else?

I knew it would be just a silly discrepancy and not a real problem! 

In Black Ops I was using RandomJump to randomly choose between different muzzle flashes for variety. Using it in weapon states was crashing Doom Retro and prboom, Brad fixed it, find the commit from Sep 10, skip past the unrelated stuff. (prboom didn't fix it, so I removed the code pointer to make it compatible, tsk tsk, so you shouldn't need to fix it for Black Ops to work, RandomJump isn't used in the newer version)

https://github.com/bradharding/doomretro/issues/178

The cast call of Doom Retro when using SMOOTHED was fixed here:

https://github.com/bradharding/doomretro/issues/237

I can't think of any other problems. Well, demo compatibility is lost between vanilla and dehacked demos certainly. Because a couple of things are not tic-perfect, like the Chaingun in Black Ops.

Edited by VGA

4 hours ago, VGA said:

prboom didn't fix it, so I removed the code pointer to make it compatible, tsk tsk, so you shouldn't need to fix it for Black Ops to work, RandomJump isn't used in the newer version

So, wrong thread again, sorry! /o\

Anyway, I'd like to figure that out. Where can I find the last version that uses RandomJump in weapon states?

I found some old WIP version I had kept as a backup. According to the name, it is before I worked on the BFG. I see it has a RandomJump code pointer, so it should work in Doom Retro and crash in prboom+. I think in some other port (Eternity maybe?) the pointer was just ignored.

BlackOps before BFG.7z

Oooh, I'm excited to try this with Crispy Doom. Thank you for porting this stuff over, guys c:

I released a version 8 with a new alternate death for the Zombieman, now he has 3 normal deaths and the XDeath.

Now Crispy Doom is also compatible with this mod (and Black Ops, so you can load them both)

I've slightly modified the addon to give the chaingunner the proper sound (bullet shot, not shotgun blast with pumping sound when stopped shooting) and the same rate of fire as the player.

UPD: Also gave the WolfSS the bullet sound and made the hand shine and blood of Hell Knights/Barons brighter, both green- and red-blooded versions of Hell Nobles are bundled (SMOOTHED_Z and SMOOTHED_ZR respectively).

Meet SMOOTHED: ZEdition!

SMOOTHED_Z.zip

P. S. Concerning the Heavy Weapons Dude fix, this had been done before for Vanilla chaingunner

Edited by Zodomaniac : Updated SMOOTHED: ZEdition

Apologies for the bump, but I really like the maximal use of the DeHackEd here. Keep it up, VGA!

On 10/17/2018 at 4:00 PM, VGA said:

@Zodomaniac

How does this affect the Chaingunner gameplay-wise?

Sorry for the late reply. He fires with a tad faster rate (same firerate and same sound as the player) and is therefore a bit more deadly.

On 12/6/2019 at 12:42 AM, bojan_dk said:

What is the name of the UI mod on the first post?

That HUD is part of the source port OP is using - Doom Retro.

Hey @VGA, I've encountered an unfortunate bug with newer versions of DOOM Retro that include the MBF Dog. It seems that when trying to spawn the dog with SMOOTHED.wad loaded, the game crashes :-(

47 minutes ago, Phobos Anomaly said:

Hey @VGA, I've encountered an unfortunate bug with newer versions of DOOM Retro that include the MBF Dog. It seems that when trying to spawn the dog with SMOOTHED.wad loaded, the game crashes :-(

Are you using DR v3.5? Just tried spawning dogs friendly/hostile in DOOM and DOOM 2 and they spawn fine with no crash. Are you using any other wads?

Just now, bradharding said:

Are you using DR v3.5? Just tried spawning dogs friendly/hostile in DOOM and DOOM 2 and they spawn fine with no crash. Are you using any other wads?

Yes, I just tried it. It does indeed work when using just SMOOTHED.wad

I found the offending wad, it's BlackOps.wad, unfortunately.

@Phobos Anomaly

I created Black Ops before Brad added the extra MBF states. So Black Ops is using a lot of unused vanilla and MBF states.

Also, when I created that mod, Doom Retro did not have dogs and they aren't part of Doom anyway :D

If you want to play with dog allies, load only SMOOTHED.

1 minute ago, VGA said:

@Phobos Anomaly

I created Black Ops before Brad added the extra MBF states. So Black Ops is using a lot of unused vanilla and MBF states.

Also, when I created that mod, Doom Retro did not have dogs and they aren't part of Doom anyway :D

If you want to play with dog allies, load only SMOOTHED.

*sadface*

lol, I really just use it for the smoothed weapon animations. The regular weapon animations juxtaposed against the smoothed monster animations is just a bit irritating. Do you know of any way to get the smoothed weapon animations combined with the smoothed monster animations (and extra deaths and such) in a way that doesn't break DR?

@Phobos Anomaly

Doom Retro isn't broken just because you can't spawn dogs. Fight your own battles lol!

I will check it out tomorrow and see how many states would need to be moved. In the meantime you can use the command "spawn friendly baronofhell" if you want a wingman!

Just now, VGA said:

Doom Retro isn't broken just because you can't spawn dogs. Fight your own battles lol!

I will check it out tomorrow and see how many states would need to be moved. In the meantime you can use the command "spawn friendly baronofhell" if you want a wingman!

Ok, sounds good! Thanks! :-)

FWIW Although rearranging those states would be the best solution (if @VGA wants to, of course), I've just implemented a fix for the next version of DR that will at least stop the crash.