Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
læmænt

Secrets

Well, he's new, so he doesn't know.

Generally if a topic hasn't had a response in at least three to four weeks or so, it's best to just leave it alone and start a new one.

Sorry about that, didn't even bother to look at your post count. Probably should've explained it a bit.

Also, you're better off grabbing one of the many invul spheres in this level before you try it, as it's very likely you'll be hurt or killed by the rocket splash damage.

danarchist said:

Before this week, I've seen this word maybe ten times in my life. But this is about the 100th time in the last 3 days. What happen?

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST, what do you care? So what if you spell the plural of Mancubus 'Mancubi'? SO FUCKING WHAT? FUCK YOU! You have you head so far up your ass that you can't see that there are other people around you WITH OTHER FUCKING OPINIONS!!! JESUS FUCK!

P.S. Lay off the god damn 'All Your Base' jokes...god dammit. That died out like a year ago, you stupid asshole!

fraggle said:

How many pages did you go back to reach this thread?

That's what I was thinking. I mean, he had to read through like 20-30 pages of threads to find this one, instead of just starting a new thread for his question which would have taken 1/10 the time and efforet, and caused 1/100 the scorn and consequenses.

Doom II, map 15 Industrial Zone! The secret that leads to the Map 31 Wolfenstein! The secret Cacodemon room down in the acid! The secret Arachnotron room in the last building and leads out to the acid!

fraggle said:

How many pages did you go back to reach this thread?

No, I just typed in a search for 'secrets' and came up with this. And the conversation came SO close to answering my question. I didn't really wan't to start a new thread for that one small question.

Heh...this is so old...I wonder if I can send messages back in time through it...

the_Danarchist said:

Heh...this is so old...I wonder if I can send messages back in time through it...

Sure, it's called the 'Edit' button.

No...I mean, this is so old that it's probably ended up creating some sort of temporal breach that maybe I could send messages to myself through.

the_Danarchist said:

No...I mean, this is so old that it's probably ended up creating some sort of temporal breach that maybe I could send messages to myself through.

Umm, too many sci fi books for teh dan.

NiGHTMARE said:

I smell a banning coming on...

As far as I know no one cares if you curse on dw. Atleast I've been doing it for a while and nothing happened to me because of it. Besides wasn't he flaming himself? Or his old self... or whoever the hell he thought he was?

The golden rules of Doom secrets:

Rule 1: A Doom level must be possible to complete without discovering any secrets at all.

Rule 2: A secret must be a secret, ie. it must be supplied with a secret type sector and efforts to obscure it must have been done.

Rule 3: A secret must have a clue to it's existence.

One of the most crappy things about Wolfenstein, Dooms predecessor, was the implementation of secrets. Hunting secrets in wolfenstein involved much boring "running along a wall while pressing the activate button" action. Doom's engine, however, allows far more architectural freedom to make interesting secrets.

Rule 4: A secret must be rewarding.

Examples of crap secrets:

The section of wall that is completely similar to the surrounding walls but is in fact a secret door (rule 3).

The secret room that contains nothing but angry imps (rule 4).

The secret that contains the key to the exit door (unless it's the secret exit door rule 1 is clearly broken).

The level where all secrets show up on the automap (the secret linedef flag hasn't been used) (rule 2).

The level where you depend on a secret weapon to win a crucial fight (rule 1).

The secret area that never shows on your secret count (rule 2).

My favorite secrets were in e1m3, they ruled because some you had to find just by hearing a elevator sound once you passed a certain point and then running around to see what exactly moved. Plus they were tricky and could be done with a lot of class and just running around here and there without any real plan involved.

I liked how they were like 'chain-reaction' secrets. After finding one, it would lead to another, then another, and so on. Those were always the best secrets.