Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomzRules

Brutal Doom 64 - Early Alpha Gameplay

I love how everyone hopes BD64 is going to preserve the atmosphere or make the game scarier or whatever, as if Mark has any concept of subtlety or understanding of why and how Doom/Doom 64 could be scary in the first place.

GoatLord said:

I dunno, the latest version of Brutal Doom is...mostly toned down.

Yeah for the most part it is actually. I rather quite like it. It's not balls-to-the wall anymore. It's more subdued if you ask me... and I really enjoy playing Brutal Doom with the Classic class that he offered.

It's pretty nice and relaxing, it's like taking an enthusiastic stroll through the woods.

I only modified it so now you have the classic chaingun back, and the pistol has an extra sprite frame that makes it so the slide actually goes back.

dethtoll said:

I love how everyone hopes BD64 is going to preserve the atmosphere or make the game scarier or whatever, as if Mark has any concept of subtlety or understanding of why and how Doom/Doom 64 could be scary in the first place.

I've only ever had a passing interest in Brutal Doom. So I'm not concerned, I have Doom 64 EX, and that's all that matters to me in that regard.

dethtoll said:

Seems so conflicting and unnecessary, though. Vanilla Doom had metal riffs and generally had an atmosphere based around action, Doom 64 has a more somber and even discomforting one so Brutal Doom doesn't exactly fit with it. You're right, though, ultimately Mark won't care what I have to say but I'll say it anyway.

MetroidJunkie said:

Vanilla Doom had metal riffs and generally had an atmosphere based around action

While you're not wrong, the original game at least also regularly had its moodier moments. The first level throws you in, lets you feel like a badass as you mow down the pitiful resistance; the second level turns down the lights and leaves you vulnerable as bogeys lurk in the dark. It swaps around like that for most of the game.

So does TNT, really. Doom 2 and Plutonia are way more action-packed, though.

dethtoll said:

While you're not wrong, the original game at least also regularly had its moodier moments. The first level throws you in, lets you feel like a badass as you mow down the pitiful resistance; the second level turns down the lights and leaves you vulnerable as bogeys lurk in the dark. It swaps around like that for most of the game.

So does TNT, really. Doom 2 and Plutonia are way more action-packed, though.

The original Doom was actually pretty moody and scary back in the day.

I mean E1M5 was pretty terrifying; as was E1M8.

Not to mention he really does seem to be treating Doom 64 differently already. Granted, there's squishy organs hitting the wall when you kill a zombieman, but there's also that cool fog and lighting. It seems like for the most part he amps up what's already there--not to say fog was already there, of course, but rather, levels that seem to demand fog.

Im not much of a Brutal Doom person (aside from playing the Starter Pack and Beyond Hell and Earth) but this... Oh man its so beautiful :D
I need to learn how to make fog effects look that good in my maps.

EX at least manages to keep the lighting effects intact. It's a really unique game to see running in the Doom engine, especially when played with the original rom. Definitely ahead of its time.

On the other hand, my favorite experience has been with Absolution, mostly because the Doomsday engine allows for it to be expanded, and Kaiser added things to the game that fit well and turned out to be very cool. If you download the custom maps he made for it called "The Outcast Levels", you get a few new enemies and powerups, some of which we haven't seen the likes of since.

GoatLord said:

I thought GZDoom 64 was never finished. Why is it better than EX?

I just think it's more fluid and quite frankly after binging through PSX Doom is a heck of a lot more convenient to access; as opposed to me having to search through my folders and start up Doom 64 EX (I am kind of lazy that way. =P)

DoomzRules said:

I just think it's more fluid and quite frankly after binging through PSX Doom is a heck of a lot more convenient to access; as opposed to me having to search through my folders and start up Doom 64 EX (I am kind of lazy that way. =P)

the colors in Doom 64Ex look better IMO, and it's much more finished , It even allows you to play on much more accurate map ports .

Doom64EX is much truer to the original game. Everything else is a poor imitation. Accept no substitutes.

I like the idea of this. While Doom64 EX is a terrific port, I do find the enemies feel a bit stiff compared to Doom/Doom2. In general the game to me doesn't play as well as Doom, could use some spicing up.

Though to others it's perfect as is, and I can dig that. And for me as a kid on N64 it was definitely cool.

HorrorMovieGuy said:

That's pretty cool. I'm just a little puzzled about those maps. Is Mark going to remake all of the original D64 maps in GZDoom? I'm also wondering if it will be compatible with other maps.

The maps are from a wad called GZDoom64 (I think they are Absolution TC maps converted to ZDoom format, originally featured lots of stuff not working), which I am further editing to better emulate the original behavior of the maps. And yes, it will be possible to extract the wad from the .pk3 and play it separately.

Frankly, I hope it has a more realistic approach. Brutal Doom's over-the-top'ness works for classic doom, but it would just kill the mood in Doom 64.

No, the gore won't be more extreme than what is shown in this video, only a blood amount regulator similar to the one on BD and Ketchup. There won't be monsters on dying states or fatalities.

Captain Red said:

Hmm, I wonder if the sound effects could a bit more... subdued I think is the word I'm looking for. Brutal Dooms' bombastic Blasts and cartoonish blood spats where fine with the PC version, but here they clash pretty badly with the console sounds.

It's pre-alpha. Most sounds on this video are placeholders.

Glaice said:

The last damn thing is we need is more people playing Brutal Doom. It's like noone on the "Gaming Journalism" websites don't give a shit about mods that aren't BD.

Didn't PC Gamer made an article titled "Top 10 Great Doom mods that aren't Brutal Doom" one year ago? Calm down.

dethtoll said:

Doom64EX is much truer to the original game. Everything else is a poor imitation. Accept no substitutes.

Who told you this project is meant to provide the same experience of the N64?

Avoozl said:

Doom 64 has its own fog just not every single map used fog.

Doom 64's fog is basically a colored sector darkness, seen in only a few maps such as Watch your Step and In the Void. BD64's fog is produced by light sources and attempts to emulate some sort of volumetric lightning effect. Also I did these fog textures from scratch.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Who told you this project is meant to provide the same experience of the N64?

It's on the Doom64EX website, cupcake.

Doom 64 EX is also aimed to be 100% accurate to the original game as close as possible and offer some PC-specific features that can enhance the game.

Fantastic work on the fog, the added ambient vibe is sick! Love the added motion on the computer screen panels! Wile your at it see if you can add an introduction to the game landing on the base! Always thought cutscenes would have made this game 10 times better.
Keep up the great work dude!

Jaxxoon R said:

I don't think he was referring to EX.

Well I don't know what else he was referring to because I wasn't talking about Brotal Doom in the line he quoted.

dethtoll said:

Well I don't know what else he was referring to because I wasn't talking about Brotal Doom in the line he quoted.

You are in a thread about Brutal Doom 64, so you probably weren't referring to Chex Quest I suppose.

I suggest you go back and read the seven posts immediately before mine, Mark. Maybe then you'll grasp the context of what I was responding to, Mark.

dethtoll said:

I suggest you go back and read the seven posts immediately before mine, Mark. Maybe then you'll grasp the context of what I was responding to, Mark.

You could have used a quotation, you know.

I shouldn't have to, Mark. My post was immediately following 7 entire posts on a single subject, and my post was #8 in that discussion, Mark. Why don't you go crawl up DMGUYDZ64, DoomzRules, rabidrage, GoatLord, or mjf6866's ass instead of mine for discussing the best way to play Doom 64 on PC, Mark?