Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tatsurd-cacocaco

Japanese Community Project [Final Version released on idgames]

Japanese Community Project (JPCP) is a 32 level megawad for limit removing ports made by Japanese Doomers.
We tested it with PrBoom+ with doom 2 compatibility (-complevel 2), ZDoom, GZDoom.

>>>JPCP final version download<<< (16/07/19)

Doom is a minor game in Japan, so Doom community in Japan is very small. The community having been weakening year by year, we started this project
for strengthening our solidarity, improving mapping skill, and so on. We aimed a low-threshold project which anyone could participate.
Some doomers were inexperience mappers or beginners, so I supported map's detail and portcompatibility. We finally managed to complete 32 maps which are the same quality as modern maps, but more feedback is needed for the final version, then I will upload the final version to idgames.

[Edit 16/07/20] The final version eventually released. It's quality was substantially improved for eveyone's feedback. Really thank you!

By the way, texture resources are from cc4-tex.wad and doom 2.
Japanese status HUD is included in the zip file.If you load JPCP_HUDjpn.wad with this wad, status bar in "Katakana" and "Kanji" can be used.

Map Lists

Map01: First Assault                 by Tatsurd-Cacocaco
Map02: Rural Mini-Base               by Tatsurd-Cacocaco
Map03: The Sign of Armageddon        by Masayan & SkullDemon
Map04: Thaumasia                     by burabojunior
Map05: Woodexial                     by Toooooasty
Map06: Riminshi Valley               by burabojunior
Map07: Confused Arena                by Tatsurd-Cacocaco
Map08: 54-pit                        by Toooooasty
Map09: The Three World               by Tyousen121
Map10: The Odd Encampment            by Yullie
Map11: My fav                        by Nanka Kurashiki
Map12: Magnetic force apparatus      by burabojunior
Map13: Bad Morning                   by Namsan
Map14: G_T_Factory                   by toMass
Map15: Nandeyanen                    by Nanka Kurashiki
Map16: Forlorn Defense Line          by Tatsurd-Cacocaco
Map17: UAC energy plant              by burabojunior
Map18: Space Port Panik              by doom68k
Map19: Remind                        by Nanka Kurashiki
Map20: Escape from UAC space base    by burabojunior
Map21: Search and Destroy            by burabojunior
Map22: A den of vice                 by burabojunior
Map23: Thermal disposal place        by Guna
Map24: Probably Maybe Certainly      by Tyousen121
Map25: Cakravartin's miscalculation  by Nanka Kurashiki
Map26: Embodiment of Maliciousness   by Yullie
Map27: A resplendent emerald green   by burabojunior
Map28: HeLLport                      by Masa
Map29: hazmat hazama                 by Toooooasty
Map30: Every beginning has an end    by burabojunior
Map31: Manufacturing Plant           by Masayan
Map32: Blood Fund Gang               by Toooooasty

We hope that you have a good time!

Cool. Quoting compat info from text file:

Advanced engine needed : Limit Removing
Tested with : PrBoom+ with doom 2 compatibility (-complevel 2),
ZDoom, GZDoom

cl2 FDA for map01. (I'll record more and in bunches tomorrow probably. Getting late here.)

Plays quite smoothly. Strikes me as the sort of map well-suited for those punchy short UV-maxes ;). Some notes:

-- Difficulty is quite low even by the standards of traditional modern map01s (which this very much is, being a compact base with a low monster count consisting mostly of low-tier monsters); some of the traps could have had more teeth.

-- The brown texture in the torch pit of first health+armor bonus secret looks somewhat bad without a border.

-- The aforementioned bonus secret is somewhat of a letdown as far as actual contents go. The 'zerk secret also becomes accessible too late to be of much value for punching things. It might be a good idea to move the berserk to the first secret and stock the second secret with something else.

I played that one beta that was released which had some incomplete maps, and I absolutely loved everything about it. Maps 11 and 29 were amazing experiences. Will play through this version to see the finalized maps :)
This is definitely up there in my top 10 favorite megawads. Good job folks.

I've played through the first few levels - it's awesome! I can't wait to get further into it. I've been playing it with brutal doom and it's pretty much perfectly balanced. I feel like if I play well I can get through every encounter without taking damage, but I'm punished for making mistakes.

I think this will be a wad I play and replay :)

Congrats on the release! I have already played few maps from the beta and it's a really cool wad from I have seen.

Nice title screen :D
Found time to try the first two maps now, and they were great! Intelligent layouts, cool secrets and very well balanced gameplay, not too easy like many megawad intro levels are. If the rest of this mapset is this good, I'm gonna have a blast with it!

Been 'clev-ing around in this playing random maps right before bed, pretty neat stuff. Awesome BOSSBACK, or whatever the picture behind the "cast" at the end is called (too lazy to go into SLADE and look) :)

...Noticed a common possible problem all over Map29, not sure if intentional or not:

Like the ceiling/floor there needs lowered a bit more. Anyway, I'll be playing this for the next few days!

I'm so glad to see this project, I hope the Japanese Doom community finds more players!

I've only played the first four levels so far (ZDoom, "Doom (strict)" compatibility), it'll take me some time to finish it. Even though I'm playing on a lower difficulty (I'm a tiny baby and don't want to get too stressed out), it's still very challenging, but it feels well-balanced.

The first two levels were a nice introduction, they set up a good expectation for the overall difficulty. I loved finding all the secrets in Map03 (well, I almost found all of them!). Map04 was nice and compact, and it offered a fun standoff at the end.

It's a very promising start, I'm looking forward to playing the rest of this.

Bravo, and congrats! It's great to see Japan has some Doom fans as well...

Speaking of which, I wonder how well Doom (2016) will do there.

I love this map-pack! Really great. And I'm such an otaku... I played with the Japanese HUD and I was kinda confused lol.

But it's still fun. =)

I really enjoy the map-pack and it's really great! =D

I'm probably going to run through this with Demonsteele to see how it plays out. =3

very cool! many of the maps are quite stylish. my favorites were 06, 12, 22, and 27. I guess I'm a fan of burabojunior, then :)

Master O said:

Given they're Japanese, I'm surprised they didn't have anime-themed hidden levels.

I'm surprised American maps don't have mass amounts of racism and fat, French maps baguettes with cheese and surrendering, British maps with tea and rain, and Mexican maps with gun crime and ghettos.

Oh wait.

rofl this is a horrible turn for such a great mapset. Back on subject, I am having a ton of fun with this; I hope the community over there continues to grow and I hope to see more interaction between each Doom community in the future.

General Rainbow Bacon said:

@Fuzzball:

The Racist community project. All the worst stereotypes come true in this nightmare of cultural diversity.

the grezzo 2 remake, made by people in texas and mississippi

but seriously, this looks freakin' awesome! i don't know what it is about them, but you can really tell they were made in japan. guess it's just the architecture and detailing

thanks to the gorgeous hud you provided, i learned some japanese!

- means 1
= means 2
E means 3

other than that nothing makes sense, lol

i have learned japanese, kanichiwa my friends