Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

What is your favorite movie of all time?

The original Robocop IS timeless. Not so sure about the 2nd one -- with Frank Miller on board its satire has all the subtlety of a hammer to the face. But that first one, man -- for a long time I believed that was the future we were going to see. Still not completely convinced otherwise.

All my love goes to Big Trouble in Little China.

A goofy hilarious tail of an american tough guy getting himself involved in a chinese gang run by an evil sorcerer out to rule the universe. This is the one movie that's not afraid to laugh at itself. Some of John Carpenter's best work.

My favourites are:
Chappie (2015) -- this was the only movie to make me actually cry
Terminator 1 and 2 -- it's just epic.
Rocky 4 and 6 -- epic too.
Doom -- call me an idiot, but I really liked it.
The Big Boss (1972) -- the first movie with Bruce Lee, had the best main-villain death ever

The second Robocop definitely tried, with nods back to Verhoeven's original (the commercials) and with a new approach (the political commentary and cyberpunk feel). But I think Miller's comic book background bled through just a little, and it was just too much. Compared to the original, it felt less dark and cyberpunk, and more fantastic with a comic-book like villain.

It's still one of my favorite movies, though.

Another movie I obsess and fangirl over, even though it's obviously not that good, is Ultramarines: A Warhammer 40,000 Movie. Sure, the animation might not be top-notch, it favors the Ultrasmurfs, and it's probably hard for non-fans to get into... but dammit, it's one of my favorite movies ever, and it just makes me want to see more 40K movies made.

Mad Max 2. I don't know how could I forget about that one when I was typing my last post, but it's easily my favourite one.

I have too many favorites,

The Thing
The Fog
In The Mouth of Madness
The Shining
Alien
Blade Runner
Sunshine
28 Days Later
Jacob's Ladder
Session 9
Hot Fuzz
Shaun of The Dead

holy mountain, district 9, ghost in the shell and the non special edition of the original star wars

Megalyth said:

The Land Before Time

fite me irl

i was obssesed with that movie as a kid, and i still love cera XD

raymoohawk said:

holy mountain, district 9, ghost in the shell and the non special edition of the original star wars

i was obssesed with that movie as a kid, and i still love cera XD

Cera was a prehistoric cunt. Fuck that cunteratops. Everyone knows Spike was the coolest one there...he'd be the one to chill out, listen to sludge metal, and get stoned as fuck and eat bagel bites with you. He's got the stickiest tree stars you ever saw.

esselfortium said:

Sounds like "Life is Beautiful", but that's not in black and white.

This is actually it, I just remember it that way since I saw it while binge watching other B&W movies related to war.

War Films: Platoon and Apocalypse Now
Thrillers: Marathon Man and Taxi Driver
Crime: Pulp Fiction and Drive
Sci Fi: 2001 and Blade Runner
Westerns: Any Leone movie
Action: Aliens and Terminator 1
Drama: Kids and Raging Bull
Horror: Evil Dead 1 and Invasion of the Body Snatchers '78

fraggle said:

Probably Fellowship of the Ring, which I've always considered the strongest of the LOTR films.

I'm a big fan of Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight series but I'm hard-pressed to pick one film in particular.

How did I not know this about fraggle? I have to say LOTR is my favorite film. It is hard not to feel that the first was the best. I need to watch these films again soon! I didn't really like Dark Night as I thought it was ... well, too dark.

That said, I really liked No Country For Old Men though it was a dark film.

Really liked Whale Rider, Contact, Shawshank Redemption (who doesn't) and all of the (original) Indiana Jones films.

Top 3 films?

In no particular order...

Aliens (1986)

Evil Dead 2 (1987)

Army of Darkness (1992)

Oh and wait... one more. It's a surprise.

Event Horizon (1997)

Those are my top four favorite movies.... then again maybe it's because they remind me of Doom a lot. =3

In the Company of Men - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119361/
Two guys screw with a deaf woman. A super low-budget drama/black comedy that was shot in 11 days and has some long no-cut scenes. I saw this on tv and couldn't stop watching.

Mysterious Skin - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0370986/
Life after being sexually abused as a child. Also saw this on tv and couldn't stop watching to see how it unfolded.

The Machinist - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361862/
Insomniac going crazy. Christian Bale at 120 pounds really sells it. Also love the music and dreary ending.

For me it's Star Wars IV - A New Hope, which I saw when I was 11 and haven't been the same since. As for a top 10... lets see now.

Star Wars IV: A New Hope
Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars VI: Return of the Jedi
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
Aliens
Conan The Barbarian (1982)
Conan The Destroyer
The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring

I have so many movies i've seen, that it's hard to put a Number 1 on top of all of them.

But SPEED RACER(YES, that movie. I like it. go away.) has to be near the top. It's just a lot of fun for me to watch over and over (mostly the racing parts).

Around SR would be ADVENTURES OF TINTIN. Very brilliant movie, with actions scenes that reminds me of the Indiana Jones trilogy. The best part is the ship battle scene, which just made me laugh and awe when i first saw it!

Near these two will definitely be V FOR VENDETTA. Holy shit, that's a good one.

And best animated movie for me is nothing from Disney. Rather, it'll be IRON GIANT.
Love love LOVE that movie, especially when the Giant goes to his battle mode! Sad end, though.

I'm not going to be very original but mine is The Godfather Part II, now this is sort of cheating since the reason it's number one requires the context of the first film so it's sort of like picking two films.

What I like about The Godfather and what Part II does really well, even better than the myriad of ganster films inspired by it, is that not only does it tell a wonderful tale of power corrupting a man, but it parallels it with the tale of his father's rise to power and the differences between the way Vito and Michael treat power. On top of all of that the thing that really sells it for me is that the whole thing is told with a great sense of scale and journey and that at the end of the film it feels like a journey has concluded and the ending really seals home how unglamorous and destructive the whole thing ended up being. Now things like say Scarface or Breaking Bad deal with that same destructive power and what it does to a man but what the Godfather does is it doesn't give them the satisfaction of victory. Michael "wins" and by winning he loses. He's lost everything important to him and he is left with a pyrrhic victory. He doesn't get a final blaze of glory where he gets to go out like a badass in the sense of many modern mobsters. He gets to sit in a chair, for all intents and purposes, alone in his kingdom.

jazzmaster9 said:

Mine is definitely "5 Centimeters per second".

Oh gosh, that's a good one. I wasn't prepared for how much that movie made me cry. Though I can sympathize with some of the common criticisms of the believability of certain specific events within it, the overall narrative and meaning rang painfully true for me, and it's still just as affecting when I look back on it. (It also helps that the art is absolutely beautiful.) I'm looking forward to seeing Makoto Shinkai's new film coming out this year.

A shout out to The Fugitive, by the way. I always forget this one because I think I want to forget it, but I can't help but turn it on when I see it on TV. It's damn engaging and brilliantly built.

Usually it's a toss up between Empire Strikes Back, Vertigo and Mulholland Drive. Other than that I have a soft spot for Frantic (1988), Terminator 2, Jurassic Park (The original), Twin Peaks: FWWM etc.

#1, Army of Darkness
#2, Pitch Black
#3, laberenth (jim hanson)
ya, not a big movie guy.

I can't believe I forgot about it, but Cube. That is EASILY one of my favorite movies ever. The blend of the Kafkaesque story and the acting was just phenomenal. Plus it was inspired by my favorite Twilight Zone episode, "Five Characters in Search of An Exit."

Clonehunter said:

A shout out to The Fugitive, by the way. I always forget this one because I think I want to forget it, but I can't help but turn it on when I see it on TV. It's damn engaging and brilliantly built.

Yes, that's a film that I love. Whenever I see it on I always tune in. Another movie I should have included on my list is Heat.

I like a lot bad/low budget movies (Kung Fu movies from 70s, UFO from 50s, cheap terror-gore from 80s, Kaiju's from 60s and 70s) like Bad Taste, It conquered the world, The 36th Chamber of Shaolin, any Vincent Price movie and some of Bela Lugosi's, just to name a few.
For a more mainstream point of view, this is my list, in no particular order:

- The Good, the bad and the ugly
- Once upon a time in the West
- Empire Strikes Back
- The Godfather I and II (and even III)
- Hellraiser I and II
- Aliens
- District 9
- Blade Runner
- The Hateful Eight
- The Great Budapest Hotel
- The Wrestler
- Carlito's Way
- Gravity
- 2001: a Space Odissey
- Apocalypse now
- Full Metal Jacket
- Robocop
- Snowpiercer
- The LEGO movie
- Transformers (The animated one from 1986)
- Akira
- The Shinning
- The Last Emperor of China
- Pacific Rim
- Flight 666 (yes, the Iron Maiden one!)
- Mad Max II
- The Elepahant Man

Just to name a few

After rewatching Star Wars Episode IV for the millionth time...

I can say my favorite movie of all time is probably Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope.

I love the Original Trilogy and hate the Prequel Trilogy (except Episode III which I thought was pretty good actually.)

And Force Awakens was a shitty lens-flare remake of A New Hope and failed to capture the magic of the original trilogy. Fuck J.J Abrams for ruining my favorite franchise.... :(