Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
perkristian

John Romero signed my chainsaw!

Avoozl said:

Since the very same kind of chainsaw was used as a reference for the games chainsaw sprites it kind of makes sense to get one signed.

True, but I would have brought my boxes for Doom, Quake 1, and even Daikatana with me.

I would have just asked him to sign my boobs, or lack thereof ;D

Nah, but seriously, that's awesome.

Maes said:

Who knows, maybe one day one of your descendants will become a Space Marine on Mars and it will come in handy;)

Good thing there is gas for it on Mars. We know that since Zak McKracken.

Fonze said:

I would have just asked him to sign my boobs, or lack thereof ;D

Yeah... Lack thereof. :|

Nice! This is the coolest thing I've seen on Doomworld since this, and not coincidentally that involved Romero, too...

I wonder how come Doomguy doesn't run into chain lubrication problems, with all that bloody, watery meat he cuts up, which in addition must turn into a hard, rusty, sticky mess when dry. I wonder what his maintenance routine is. And of course, anybody using a chainsaw, will tell you that starting cutting tip-first is a very bad idea because of kickback.

Then again, if the actual blades on the chain are changed to something else, like abrasives in concrete chainsaws, there's no such problem:

In fact, cuts are initiated preferentially with the tip in this kind of chainsaw.

There are some chainsaws on other levels, so he might quickly pick up the other one when he walks across it.

Maes said:

Then again, if the actual blades on the chain are changed to something else, like abrasives in concrete chainsaws, there's no such problem:

Aw yeah, you know when you see a hose hooked up to a power tool for reasons of cooling you're handling some really sweet machinery.

... initiated preferentially with the tip...

Awww yeah. *conveys all other feelings in grunts and growls*

With the exception of that it is quite small, the Eager Beaver is not a bad choice for dealing with demons as it has both automatic and manual chain oiling. That metal piece with a loop on, just left to the right-hand thumb, is the manual pump. The chain getting dull would probably be the main concern.

Sgt Ender said:

There are some chainsaws on other levels, so he might quickly pick up the other one when he walks across it.

I often wondered if that's not the case with all of his weaponry. Sure, you may think that you're going through E1 with that first shotgun you got from the Sergeants (or, in Doom II, he goes through the entire 30 or 32 maps with the same weapons he first got!), but with the wear and tear he puts on his weapons (constant firing, never cleaning them etc.), he's probably better off quietly swapping them with fresh ones as soon as he gets the chance, even if he already has them.

Edit: on Chainsaws & Meat:

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/chainsaw-meat-cutters.33472/
Can a chainsaw cut through meat?

Well, it seems there are a few legit uses for using chainsaws around meat/carcasses: e.g. quartering game, and even tips about the lubricant to use (none for fatty carcasses, or food-grade mineral oil for leaner meat or frozen carcasses). There even seem to be special meat-cutting attachments and chains (the generic ones used for wood "grip" a lot and give nasty kickback. Who knew O_o

Maes said:

I often wondered if that's not the case with all of his weaponry. Sure, you may think that you're going through E1 with that first shotgun you got from the Sergeants (or, in Doom II, he goes through the entire 30 or 32 maps with the same weapons he first got!), but with the wear and tear he puts on his weapons (constant firing, never cleaning them etc.), he's probably better off quietly swapping them with fresh ones as soon as he gets the chance, even if he already has them.

Yeah.

Oh you don't know how many demons I would kill to be able to use a chainsaw at my work as I cut meat. "You said you wanted that ribeye extra thin, huh? Okay, let me see what I can do..." *picks up the Eager Beaver*

Dude like the blood that gets everywhere isn't bad enough already, hahaha.

Then again I would gladly trade in our band saw for a chainsaw and a clamp any day of the week because nothing is more freaky than cutting a bone on that thing, then it rolls.

Being all psyched up about Doom after meeting Romero, here's a new Doom track. Well, not entirely new as I've redone one of my old tracks, but it's more in the spirit of the original Doom version now.

perkristian said:

Being all psyched up about Doom after meeting Romero, here's a new Doom track. Well, not entirely new as I've redone one of my old tracks, but it's more in the spirit of the original Doom version now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkn86QKHiX0

I feel like this would work great for some credits scene after a movie, IDKW.

But I loved it! That gloomy tone mixed with this loud tone is pretty creepy.
How about E1M3?

Very cool, and probably for the best that you took only the cover to the event!

Romero signing DOOM chainsaw? Is there anything cooler? I would die of happiness after meeting him.

Thank you Voros! I've already made a version of E1M3:
http://www.perkristian.net/music/perkristian_doom-e1m3.ogg
Although I'm not totally satisfied with it, so I may redo it at some point.

The chainsaw is indeed small, but surprisingly heavy - would been troublesome to carry around all evening, people might think I was a chainsaw maniac too:P It's a cool looking saw though, and I'm glad Tom Hall's girlfriend had this kind of model and not some generic looking Husqvarna/Stihl-type chainsaw when they made the sprites.

Well, I'd have him sign one of these:

With the proper color scheme, it'd make a passable SSG prop.

@OP: That's totally cool! :) I had no idea Romero was going to visit Oslo, I could possibly have made the trip myself as I live only about 200 km from there.

perkristian said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkn86QKHiX0

it seems to fit ALMOST perfectly... if only the ST was a bit longer.
I chose Pixel Planet's E3 cause i wanted it to cut to the chase as soon as possible.

perkristian said:

Love it, my favorite Doom II track. And that chainsaw is so cool!

perkristian said:

As a hardcore Doom fan, this is as good as it gets :)

Don't worry; I know how to deal with chainsaws. I live on the countryside so I occasionally use chainsaws for real. This saw will of course never be used, only admired, a lot!

It was a joke based on your typo of "many ears ago" -- sort of like you lopped off your ears with chainsaws. No one got it. :p

Glaice said:

I didn't realize how small the model of chainsaw was..

^this. I honestly thought the chainsaw was double the apparent size.

All these years, and I feel so lied to :(

Sweet chainsaw! Glad you got sir Romero to sign it!

Ever want to sell it, lemme know. Mucho dinero$, mi amigo...

Maes said:

Well, I'd have him sign one of these:
(picture)
With the proper color scheme, it'd make a passable SSG prop.

I love how you actually sawed of the barrels.

I once used this chainsaw in a Quake 2 mod I worked on called PerQuake 2, which were supposed to be a successor to PerQuake - that had the Evil Dead chainsaw as one of the base weapons. Coding mods for Quake 2 was more difficult for me, but I managed to get the saw running in the game and you could climb walls with it. PerQuake 2 were never finished though, and I cannot get it to start on my version of Quake 2 now, but here's a few shots of the model (guess I stole the axe-hand from Quake).

This makes me think of Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2; when Dennis Hopper as "Lefty" goes in to the Cutrite store to get chainsaws and ends up with the Evil Dead chainsaw in his right hand, and the Doom chainsaw in the left :)