Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Graphic_Delusions

Amazing DOOM EASTER EGG revealed **Spoilers**

MetroidJunkie said:

Remember the easter eggs in Doom 3? You could see Doom Guy in one of the magazines and in one of the pentagrams. And, of course, SUPER TURBO TURKEY PUNCHER THREE! They were pretty cool nods to Classic Doom without copying and pasting levels.

Yeah, I liked Doom 3 easter eggs a lot. There are actually much more than that, but they're so subtle, you won't even think about them as easter eggs.

I personally think the best easter eggs were in Blood. This game had tons of them, and even though not all of them were well hidden, they fitted perfectly well in the game setting. (the game is a horror film parody, anyway)

I wish they could add a 2D platform runner, consisting of only a shoot button. Starring '90s Doomguy, SSG, '90s Doom maps in 2D and the '90s zombies and imps. No scores. No BS. Just shoot and shoot.
Something similar to Spartan Runner...

Voros said:

I wish they could add a 2D platform runner, consisting of only a shoot button. Starring '90s Doomguy, SSG, '90s Doom maps in 2D and the '90s zombies and imps. No scores. No BS. Just shoot and shoot.
Something similar to Spartan Runner...

Upsidedown Startan Runner

Buckshot said:

You're not joking. My buddies and I have noticed how tired & worn he looks in the past few live streams (even last summer).

Looks like he hasn't slept in ages. The thousand yard stare; almost like he's given up & defeated.

Noticed that to. I know this look from development after four weeks crunch time, when people are even to exhausted to complain and are simply burnt. That's no fun, that's actually very serious.

I think that lazy layout of that easter egg is symbolic. As a person working in a 3D environment, I can say that lack of any lights and shitty texture placement proves that nobody at id takes seriously old Doom (as someone earlier explain this can take only a few minutes to make it proper). They just use a famous trademark to make more money, and they just use some part of original story and original monsters names to prove that it is still a reference to original Doom, but it's not. Is just a completely new game. To be honest - who would have recognized in Doom 2016 imps, hellknights, archvilles the old enemies from 1993? Nobody - they have only the same names. I don't have problem with that they just try to make a cash - that's their job, ok. But if you want to use some name like Doom then you must have little more respect to old fans. That lazy copy-paste sectors from e1m2 is like insult.

Reinchard said:

Is just a completely new game. To be honest - who would have recognized in Doom 2016 imps, hellknights, archvilles the old enemies from 1993?

Imp => It has spikes on his back, throws fireballs and uses sharp claws
Mancubuis => Big fat thing with two arm cannons
Revenant => Skeleton with two missile launchers on it's shoulders
Baron of Hell => no need to even argue
Hellknight => clearly reimages Doom 3, and that very closely
Cacodemon => nothing to argue
Cyberdemon => redesigned, yes, but clearly a reimagination instead of simply using it's name. Mechanical leg, missile launcher on arm
Pinky => Bull-like, bipedal Demon with large head that knaws on you
Spectre => Pinky made invisible
Spider Mastermind => mechanical Spider with a huge brain attached

should I go on? (I give you the Arch Vile, but as soon as we will see him summon a huge energy/firewave towards us, it's also clear)

So, where exactly did they "tack on" an enemy name without caring what that enemy used to be like?

PsychoGoatee said:

Get a thesaurus or something, this is so silly. I'm talking about the cliche autism part, turbo-charged is actually creative. =P

Doesn't change the fact the complaint is literally retarded.

tuo said:

Imp => It has spikes on his back, throws fireballs and uses sharp claws
Mancubuis => Big fat thing with two arm cannons
Revenant => Skeleton with two missile launchers on it's shoulders
Baron of Hell => no need to even argue
Hellknight => clearly reimages Doom 3, and that very closely
Cacodemon => nothing to argue
Cyberdemon => redesigned, yes, but clearly a reimagination instead of simply using it's name. Mechanical leg, missile launcher on arm
Pinky => Bull-like, bipedal Demon with large head that knaws on you
Spectre => Pinky made invisible
Spider Mastermind => mechanical Spider with a huge brain attached

should I go on? (I give you the Arch Vile, but as soon as we will see him summon a huge energy/firewave towards us, it's also clear)

So, where exactly did they "tack on" an enemy name without caring what that enemy used to be like?

I'd also mention the lost soul there.

Some of the weapons are also easily recognizable, if we saw gameplay of a game featuring that chainsaw, that double barreled shotgun, that chaingun and that "BFG" I'm pretty sure we'd think of Doom. The pistol isn't that far from the original design either.

Xerge said:

Some of the weapons are also easily recognizable, if we saw gameplay of a game featuring that chainsaw, that double barreled shotgun, that chaingun and that "BFG" I'm pretty sure we'd think of Doom.

Exactly. We could go on regarding keycards, the overall setting...blablabla

Sometimes I am really impressed what people/haters are able to pull out of their a...hat to discredit something. It's truly impressive...

Regarding the easter egg, to me it's similar to SnapMap.

If iD wouldn't have added SnapMap, nobody would have complained. People would still have asked wether we get modding tools later, but nobody would have said "how can they release a Doom game without an easy to use map maker, which even allows you to easily implement new game modes or alter existing ones?". They did, however, and people can't stop complaining how shitty SnapMap is, because it is not - well - a full blown level editor.

If they didn't include any classic Doom Map easter egg, but simply again put a severed head of John Carmack somewhere (this time quite fitting ;) ), people would have said "yeah, the Wolfenstein and Rage easter eggs weren't that fun either, but that Carmack-head-on-a-Spike is great". They did, however, and get the same hate.

I understand why people are dissapointed from what we saw yet (EDIT:) regarding the classic doom map, as it truly seems a little bit lackluster, but hey, it's an easter egg. It doesn't make the whole game worse.

At the moment, it truly seems like regardless of what iD does, they are critized. Yesterday, someone on Reddit complained that all those options regarding glory kill highlights, compass etc. show that they have a weak game design and are unsure of how the game should be played, and how he won't buy the game day one because that screams "not thought through". That's a statement where I think I am actually getting a little bit more stupid only by reading it :(

Reinchard said:

They just use a famous trademark to make more money, and they just use some part of original story and original monsters names to prove that it is still a reference to original Doom, but it's not. Is just a completely new game.

Isn't the entire point of making a completely new game in a series to... oh man! Make a completely new game? Oh, but of course, let me guess, something in the same vein as your preferred method of applying high-res bumpmapped textures to the same 20-year-old geometry (complete with misalignments) to hideous results would somehow be superior? Even the rather samey Zelda series takes on different artstyles and character designs nearly every other game or so.

StevieCybernetik said:

Doesn't change the fact the complaint is literally retarded.

It tries to be a port of E1M2 and comically misses the mark, seems like a pretty valid complaint. Personally I'm just baffled as to how such an obvious mistake made it to print. Everything so fucked up, it's really funny, like one of those off-model Chinese bootleg versions of characters:
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/piratedgamemuseum/images/8/84/Smb_pizza_pizza_pop_mario.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110401012101

tuo said:

It doesn't make the whole game worse.

I think it breaks the map design, because when you look at the opened secret it looks so much out of place, I'm a designer, since I studied graphic design I pay attention to these type of things with a very critical attitude, the easter egg would look better if it wasn't so intrusive with the rest of the art style and appearance, this is what I would've done instead: a creepy looking room, with the red candles, maybe a few satanic symbols and a teleporter that takes you to the classic level to give the player the feeling that he is being teleported to the past, some weird alternate dimension or something like that and I think adding the classic 2D enemies would've been a better option.

Xerge said:

I think it breaks the map design, because when you look at the opened secret it looks so much out of place, I'm a designer, since I studied graphic design I pay attention to these type of things with a very critical attitude, the easter egg would look better if it wasn't so intrusive with the rest of the art style and appearance, this is what I would've done instead: a creepy looking room, with the red candles, maybe a few satanic symbols and a teleporter that takes you to the classic level to give the player the feeling that he is being teleported to the past, some weird alternate dimension or something like that and I think adding the classic 2D enemies would've been a better option.

I agree, thus I hope the levers are not that easy to find and are never used for a different action than opening the classic map parts, because I also plan not to use them on my first playthrough. IMHO, they should be very hard to find, and maybe even need a certain order of activation, so that nobody stumbles over those parts on accident.

Imagine someone who never played Doom and basically doesn't care or doesn't know the heritage of Doom. He buys the game because I likes what's written at the back of the box, goes home, plays, finds this lever and then the classic map. I can't imagine how many WTF? go through his head when he walks through those rooms. Then again, I guess he might get a codex entry which explains everything.

Jaxxoon R said:

Oh, but of course, let me guess, something in the same vein as your preferred method of applying high-res bumpmapped textures to the same 20-year-old geometry (complete with misalignments) to hideous results would somehow be superior?

I would have to be retarded to think that id should do exactly replica of 1993 Doom as I do in my mod (I made them because I always want to see that old architecture with higher res, that's all). All I say is that few things are too far from the old Doom. Ok - Cacodemon, Lost Soul, Baron - they fit correctly. But trust me - none of you would recognize e.g new imps if you see it back then in 1993-1994. Mancubus? Maybe, but is rather a generic fat blob. I'll not coment cyberdemon. And not get me wrong - I'm looking forward to this game (I only hope that gameplay will not be so boring like that from stream). All I want to say is just some things have been done lazily and soulless.

Xerge said:

Agreed. In classic Doom style, I imagine I'd have found the switch that opens the entrance to the easter egg wondering what it did and unintentionally opening the entrance to it. It'd be really immersion breaking.

They really should've made it like the nightmares in Wolfenstein The New Order/Old Blood, where you'd need to find an object hiding around the world (maybe a magazine with a picture of Doomguy on it? Or a carving of a classic cacodemon in hell?) and you'd need to hold down a button to activate the easter egg sequence. It could've been handled like those "rune challenges" they mentioned in the single player stream.

Reinchard said:

I would have to be retarded to think that id should do exactly replica of 1993 Doom as I do in my mod (I made them because I always want to see that old architecture with higher res, that's all). All I say is that few things are too far from the old Doom. Ok - Cacodemon, Lost Soul, Baron - they fit correctly. But trust me - none of you would recognize e.g new imps if you see it back then in 1993-1994. Mancubus? Maybe, but is rather a generic fat blob. I'll not coment cyberdemon. And not get me wrong - I'm looking forward to this game (I only hope that gameplay will not be so boring like that from stream). All I want to say is just some things have been done lazily and soulless.

I find it peculiarly amusing how you insist on butting in the 'y-you guys wouldn't be able to tell what it is!' even though the redesigns, as uninspired as mediocre as you pretend to address them to be, are actually rather closer to the original sprites than everyone else had hoped.

The imps are also actually perfectly fine as is. They've inherited the brown skin pigmentation from the originals while retaining freshness in giving them white eyes to contrast with the blue on some parts of their bodies.

The Manc was always a fat piece of shit I never really cared for anyways design wise, and sadly enough, it's no different here either. Its design never really clinged onto me proper up until I played Doom 3. That game has to have, hands down, the best interpretation of the Mancubus I've seen to date.

Just... lose the fucking trunk, Jesus.

You know you're dealing with some heavy Autism level of special needs child bullshit when there's a giant fuss in a thread about how well designers made a throwaway easter egg replicated from a 22 1/2 year-old game.

And this is coming from an Autistic person.

Caffeine Freak said:

You know you're dealing with some heavy Autism level of special needs child bullshit when there's a giant fuss in a thread about how well designers made a throwaway easter egg replicated from a 22 1/2 year-old game.

Why should the easter egg be of throwaway jokewad quality when it's part of a AAA title? Might as well not add it at all if it looks amateur as hell.

Jaxxoon R said:

It tries to be a port of E1M2 and comically misses the mark, seems like a pretty valid complaint.

Especially since you can export a pixel perfect 3D model of the entire map, let alone that section, with a program that's available on the internet free of charge. They'd know that if they actually took any amount of time looking it up. I didn't even have to import textures, it has the option to do it for me.

Xerge said:

Maybe have it transition into the STARTAN texture like have it imposed over it half way through the hallway? Then it's like it's being taken over by the past.

Doom II has real Wolfenstein 3d easter egg. They took the trouble to do that in way there you can say is a real tribute to this game. They made new textures in 2x better quality then original ones. They made better levels layout. They show more respect then.

From the other hand I like the other easter eggs in new Doom much more - like that message with "wad e1m4 command controller".

MetroidJunkie said:

Especially since you can export a pixel perfect 3D model of the entire map, let alone that section, with a program that's available on the internet free of charge. They'd know that if they actually took any amount of time looking it up. I didn't even have to import textures, it has the option to do it for me.

Maybe have it transition into the STARTAN texture like have it imposed over it half way through the hallway? Then it's like it's being taken over by the past.

Sounds good too, the hallways could still use some creepy decoration to catch your attention so you don't walk past it after you've opened it.

The whole "Hey, remember that?!" gimmick is not as cute as it was in 1994, but whatever. Really though, I can't for the life of me figure out why they didn't implement lighting into the secret area. I know you can't exactly do sector lighting in a modern engine, but it's been painfully, clearly demonstrated that you can literally export the map to a format the engine could recognize, then slap on some basic lighting. Seeing unlit, fullbright enemies in a fullbright, sloppy remake of one section of a Doom level is...weird. Not exactly the type of thing that makes me go, "Wow, what a cool secret!" so much as "Huh?"

GoatLord said:

The whole "Hey, remember that?!" gimmick is not as cute as it was in 1994, but whatever. Really though, I can't for the life of me figure out why they didn't implement lighting into the secret area. I know you can't exactly do sector lighting in a modern engine, but it's been painfully, clearly demonstrated that you can literally export the map to a format the engine could recognize, then slap on some basic lighting. Seeing unlit, fullbright enemies in a fullbright, sloppy remake of one section of a Doom level is...weird. Not exactly the type of thing that makes me go, "Wow, what a cool secret!" so much as "Huh?"

Also, I seriously doubt they somehow put the Doom's old visplane engine slap jab into the middle of a fully 3D one, they made the environment out of polygons, just like GZDoom Builder does automatically. They just never bothered adding any lights, they just had it be fully bright. I know enough about 3D modeling from Blender to recognize something like this.

They are touching sensible spots here, haha. The deficiency in the recreation of that small piece of antique level is hard to excuse.

Caffeine Freak said:

So it's fair to assume that you can't understand why the fuss, because you are unable to empathize with the people here and their concerns.

I think you have a misconception of what autism is.

At best, they completely wasted their efforts when you can get a 100% perfectly matched result in just seconds. I wonder how long it took them to model that complete area out, presumably by hand. It's better to work smart than to work hard, utilize any tools that are available to you.

I don't think it's fair to cry "Autism alert!" in a situation like this. It's less about "How come this interpretation isn't the carefully assembled masterpiece that only I in my head can see" and more "Why does this look so sloppy and unrefined?" I mean c'mon, now. The images of those levels have been burned into our neurons. We're not talking about a slight problem here, we're talking about something that feels objectively unfinished. It's very visually glaring and weird!

"Autism alert!" would be like if someone was complaining that the wall was one pixel off or something, this is completely obvious, especially the lighting. I can overlook the textures part but it honestly looks much worse fully lit and it makes Doom out to be far more outdated than it is. This was an area that was full of atmosphere because of the dim lighting and they didn't even attempt to replicate that.

Absolutely. I can still play the old maps and get really sucked in. Here it looks completely unthreatening and sterile.

Also, if you're going to go with the original textures, why not give them some character? Do a sort of tron/early CG thing with it. Make it seem like it's part of some long forgotten dimension.

Arl said:

So it's fair to assume that you can't understand why the fuss, because you are unable to empathize with the people here and their concerns.

I think you have a misconception of what autism is.

That's kind of a fucked up thing to say, man.