Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fiend-o-hell

PANOPHOBIA - Community Project (Let's get this going again shall we! )

Like dobu stated, it's basically you two blokes now. I'm keeping the bench warm in case any unfortunate event requires some additional help, though I will be playtesting from time to time.

Damn... no pressure then. I am nearly done with three of the five maps, just some annoying FSKY bullshit as discussed, and there are still a lot of blank walls in my outdoor maps. Outdoor areas are very hard to look natural, no wonder there are hardly any in the original Dooms.

I think I must have fixed the errors mentioned as I cannot replicate them in Boom or Zdoom.

Thanks to Dobu's demonstration sky map, I spent literally one minute making adjustments to Temple of Forgotten Gods - and after more than two years, the start area actually resembles my initial vision.

Thank you so much mate - it's made a huge difference to the atmosphere and creates that truly Doomed feeling I was looking for - I wanted the opening moments to give you that same breathless, oppressed, brooding, "oh shit here I am" feeling as AV's Firewalk With Me and it now comes close to doing so.

Pic 1 is the original; pic 2 is the final version of the start area:

Temple of Forgotten Gods (rawnwatr.wad):

* Vastly improved the final area (the "silver road" area) and the surrounding islands by implementing a limitless view of the sea, and slightly updating the terrain to look more natural with this view in mind. Just a couple of visual glitches to resolve caused by sector height weirdness. Map is probably 20-30 minutes from completion. Unable to replicate visual anomaly in final area using either ZDoom or PrBoom.

Running Scared (rawnscare3.wad):

* Having difficulty implementing a limitless view in the main cavern section (I'll probably remove this as the map is all indoors anyway). Created far more natural-looking terrain plus hellish corruption. Need to implement the "hunt the switch" section correctly, playtest it and then add demon teleporters to force a time limit on the player. Need to create the final room and add a huge demon horde attack at the end. Some of the terrain still needs "naturalising". Map is probably 3-4 hours away from completion.

Acid Reign (rawnacid.wad):

* Teleporter traps throughout the map need revision. Final arena needs heavy visual and gameplay revision; at least one boss monster needs taking out (currently there are three!) or a BFG needs adding. I need to playtest the map to check gameplay flow/ammo balance and actually survive the entire thing (I normally die in the Hell Knight/Threshold of Pain corridor due to crossfire). Super-secret area (Doom 2 tribute area) needs visual and gameplay revision as the Masterminds are quite easy to beat. More secrets need implementing. Map is several days from completion.

Welcome to Hell (rawnhell.wad):

* Some visual revisions to make the opening area and cavern section more attractive. The claustrophobia area still needs to lead down into the earth (currently it only gives the illusion of doing so). Map is about 1-2 hours from completion.

Nightmare in Spiderland (rawnspdr.wad):

* Still needs heavy work. Map is at least 1-2 weeks from completion but should still hit the end of Feb deadline.

Finished updating the gameplay to fiend's "Whispers in the Dark". It's a real foul bitch now, and is pretty nasty for the "second" map of the set, but it takes less than 5 minutes to beat and will serve as a cautionary tale for the things to come in the megawad.

Download here.

EDIT: Had to make a real quick adjustment when I realized the cb was stuck in place.

Alrighty! It took me a long time, but fiend-o-hell's Vertigo Limit has been properly balanced for all difficulties. And by "properly", I mean the map is still a roller coaster of difficulty that can be both fun and frustrating (especially the start). It plays fine in PrBoom but Zdoom will experience some pretty massive frame drops depending on the angle you're viewing the map--it's still playable however. Download here. Plays on MAP28.

With that stuff out of the way, I can hopefully just get back to working on my last map for the project.

The unbelievable has happened.

My first solo map built from scratch is now complete. I've included a text file mentioning the graphics anomalies I cannot resolve (that I've found). Other than that there is nothing more I want or need to do to this map, it is as complete as it's going to be. God willing, it will be enjoyed by the community.

EDIT: I find the gameplay to be very challenging in places, but feel free to beef up the enemies, the "silver road" part is pretty nasty as it is.

TEMPLE OF FORGOTTEN GODS
http://www.mediafire.com/download/sc5cbc1vmtlbglc/rawnwatr_2015b.wad

Text file
http://www.mediafire.com/view/fef6n4e67xpe0vj/rawnwatr2015_b.txt

Played your map Major. This is probably the 4th/5th time I've ran through it so I'm out additional comments for the most part. I have to highly stress not to make sure your map is UV maxable, but to max it yourself. I say this because while you provide enough ammo/health, you may miss some minor things here and there. Case in point, The imps and cacos in their boxes at the bottom right cannot get out, as there is no linedef tagged with "107" to lower their cages.

Since you've been working on making the maps I know you haven't had a lot of time to playtest, so I'm not sure if you know that Panophobia is shaping up to be a pretty difficult mapset. I'd prefer your maps to stay in line with them, so I'm going to do a few tweaks here and there to ensure that (as it's easier to just do them myself rather than go by point by point what you should alter).

Right, sorry, I forgot to add that in, it was on my list of fixes which I somehow lost. It won't take me long to add in extra monsters etc but am interested to see what upgrades you make. I'll make sure the remaining maps are harder.

EDIT: The ambush you mention was supposed to be activated when the player has reached the switch which lowers the walls for the teleporter leading to the final arena. As you get the berserk pack and hit the switch, you turn around to see more of the landscape falling into the sea and as you make your way back past where the Knights and Baron were, you then get attacked again by Imps and Cacos beaming in.

I am surrendering the Nightmare in Spiderland map for anyone to finish off. This will be classed as a collaboration map.

The second half of the map has little to no gameplay at present. You have my permission to modify it in any way you like except:

* Keep the music.
* Keep the automap writing.
* Under no circumstances will a load of Mancubi appear when you kill the spiders. (You can still use the Mancubus as a normal enemy but MUST NOT turn this into another Dead Simple!)

Here is the map. Hope you have better luck with it than I did!
http://www.mediafire.com/download/7xffky8mo7r4r8t/rawnboss.wad

MajorRawne, there's no easy way to put it, but I think your Spiderland map is too large for its own good. It's similar to Welcome to Hell and Temple of the Forgotten Gods in that you can more or less just skirt past every opponent, and jamming the map full of enemies really doesn't fix the problem. Altering a lot of the terrain could fix the issues it has, but it's not something I'm willing to invest time into. Therefore I think it might be best if we pull it from the project. Again, I thank you for all the work you've put into Panophobia, but in order to ensure the level of quality the project currently possesses, I don't think Nightmare in Spiderland can possibly fit in its current state. Frankly it'd be easier just to make a new map, and that's something that I'll likely do myself to fill the slot.

Thus, seeing as the rest of the project falls mostly on my shoulders, I'm probably going to extend the deadline indefinitely to give myself some breathing room. All I need is your updated Acid Reign map and your Running Scared maps Major, and then I'll handle the rest from here. I don't mean to be rude about any of this, but seeing as I manually fixed fiend's maps, adjusted and added difficulties for BloodyAcid, MagnificentBeard, and Death Egg's maps, did 4 maps myself, and completed 9 running scared maps, I feel most confident in leaving the project in my hands.

Don't worry, I understand. When I started this project I tried to create something that was just too big for me and to be frank, that spiderland map has been a pain in my arse from day one. I agree it is too similar to my other maps.

I should be able to upload a 100% doable Acid Reign map now that I can get teleporter traps working. I will supply one RS map within a week and finish my second later.

Thanks a lot for understanding. Also in the Running Scared maps, if you don't want to deal with copy & pasting your maps at the end of the section (past where it says the phobia), you can just let me handle it if you wish. Otherwise, good luck with the rest of your work.

I realize this is a huge bump but I'm wondering if this made any progress I'm unaware of? It seemed decently close to completion and I'd hate to see maps lost forever. Perhaps I'm only interested because I made one of them, but eh...

Don't worry, as long as I'm still active on the forums this will eventually get a release. Only thing I can promise is it'll probably be done before 2017. Probably.

Only a handful of maps are left, though a lot of the other stuff needs a bit of refining (visuals, gameplay, etc). Don't need any help as of yet, but I'll update you if that changes.

dobu gabu maru said:

Only a handful of maps are left, though a lot of the other stuff needs a bit of refining (visuals, gameplay, etc). Don't need any help as of yet, but I'll update you if that changes.

Great to see that the whole thing's still chugging along. I've started doing some touchups to Rawne's map. Let me know if there's anything I could do to help :)

I give you permission to do any kind of extensive edits needed to fix mine up, I'm too busy with other things at the moment to do anything and I'm sure there's plenty of ways it could be improved.

dobu gabu maru said:

Don't worry, as long as I'm still active on the forums this will eventually get a release. Only thing I can promise is it'll probably be done before 2017. Probably.

Think about CC4. Just think how long that took. And it was legendary.

I'm also interested in Stomper, too. The two tnt wads plus a few others i don't know.

Hey guys, can't offer any updates as of yet, but I do have something important to bring up for everyone involved:

Since this project has fallen into my hands I've slowly been pushing it in a direction that's noticeably different compared to when it started. I've added a lot more of my personal touches to the project, and in order to keep it cohesive I've needed to go into other maps and tinker with them. Some levels have remained largely the same (Circulatory, Spellbound, Vertigo Limit), while others have received a facelift (Pain Consumes, Misfortune's Playground, Temple of the Forgotten Gods), and few a significant overhaul (Welcome to Hell, soon-to-be The Sigil). This isn't to say I'm turning each map into my style of map, but I'm definitely making adjustments to make them (as I see it) better while simultaneously retaining each individual author's unique vision. I haven't brought this up before due primarily to the small author pool (an oversight on my part), but seeing how the TNT 2 stuff unfolded I figured I needed to publicly admit this before Panophobia reaches its first beta (which is still several months off—don't hold your breath).

So, any maps contributed to the project are subject to whatever changes I deem necessary. If you disagree with this, feel free to PM me or state that you'd like your map pulled from the project. And if you'd like to see what has been changed on your map, I can send you a copy via PM.

Pure Hellspawn said:

maybe keep the original sigil as a map33?

Any rejected maps will likely be compiled into a (non-idgames) b-sides wad. I've also saved an old version of the wad for posterity.

Heh, I made my contribution when I was still new to Doomworld and to be honest I'm perfectly fine with whatever you decide to do with it. Just don't overwork yourself too much on this Dobu. :)

Obsidian said:

Heh, I made my contribution when I was still new to Doomworld and to be honest I'm perfectly fine with whatever you decide to do with it. Just don't overwork yourself too much on this Dobu. :)

Cool to see that this thing's still chugging along. Hell, I first made the original topic when I was brand new to DW too and flip-flopped too many times.

I think I mentioned this before, but you're free to do whatever you want to my map. I seldom visit the forums, let alone play / mod Doom nowadays, but I will make an exception to finish this wad when it gets released.

Second map has a potentially serious problem: a linedef without a front sidedef. That's what Eternity reported me. If this is supposed to be playable in Doom2+ (or generically limit-removing Doom), then it will crash there.

Also do most maps lack cooperative player starts?

Thanks for the support, guys.

printz said:

Second map [...]

You are playing a very old alpha. All current maps (which are not available in any public links) will be multiplayer & Boom compatible. It's best to hold off from playtesting until an official beta or /idgames release is available.

On 3/6/2017 at 11:29 AM, dobu gabu maru said:

Hey guys, can't offer any updates as of yet, but I do have something important to bring up for everyone involved:

Since this project has fallen into my hands I've slowly been pushing it in a direction that's noticeably different compared to when it started. I've added a lot more of my personal touches to the project, and in order to keep it cohesive I've needed to go into other maps and tinker with them. Some levels have remained largely the same (Circulatory, Spellbound, Vertigo Limit), while others have received a facelift (Pain Consumes, Misfortune's Playground, Temple of the Forgotten Gods), and few a significant overhaul (Welcome to Hell, soon-to-be The Sigil). This isn't to say I'm turning each map into my style of map, but I'm definitely making adjustments to make them (as I see it) better while simultaneously retaining each individual author's unique vision. I haven't brought this up before due primarily to the small author pool (an oversight on my part), but seeing how the TNT 2 stuff unfolded I figured I needed to publicly admit this before Panophobia reaches its first beta (which is still several months off—don't hold your breath).

So, any maps contributed to the project are subject to whatever changes I deem necessary. If you disagree with this, feel free to PM me or state that you'd like your map pulled from the project. And if you'd like to see what has been changed on your map, I can send you a copy via PM.

id like to selfishly withdraw my map from this project. since i never saw much progress, i started messing with it and now it has become its own thing and id like to have that version released as oppose to the one i made to this project. sorry, but it didnt look like it was ever going anywhere. my map is map03 [spellbound].