Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

TEENS REACT TO: DOOM (1993 ORIGINAL GAME)

40oz said:

Women are shown wearing dresses on women's rest rooms when women have been wearing pants for a century.

I suspect that more people know what a dress is than what a floppy disk is. Eventhough it is not common for women to show themselves in a dress, it is still a sign which can be easily recognized by the majority.

Many people don't have a clue what the save button actually shows, thus it isn't helpful to anyone new to computers. Isn't the point of icons to make it easier to find things? That can only work if you can recognize something in it.

Csonicgo said:

It's like the term "download" and "upload" replacing "copy" and "transfer".

I'd say, "copy" and "transfer" are just some general terms not indicating the directions the data goes. "transfer" is even in "ftp", which of course works both ways.

As soon as I saw this video listed on Youtube, the first thing I did was go here, to see exactly what I expected to see: a thread with a lot of heated Old-Fogies-of-Doomâ„¢ talk going on.

No, seriously. I have as of yet not clicked 'play', but have read (some of) the posts in this thread. And it all sounds so familiar to me.

I bring my Commodore 64 to school and (yes, I'm sure a select few of you out there are now thinking what those teens in the video are -probably- thinking about Doom) students get a kick out of some of the classic games on the C64, but mostly the newer ones (like Flappy Bird). I'm sure that, if these kids had had the chance to play some of the many enhancing wads out there, they may have had a different reaction.

Doom made your heart beat faster the first time you played it. Maybe you had that feeling with Prince of Persia on the Mac or MS-DOS, maybe Maniac Mansion did that for you... It's something you're not likely to forget, even if we're all -in all honesty- now just going about our lives chasing that feeling we once had about the game but can never have again because we've grown too experienced and wise...

Let them play the game. Let them think the 80s theme song of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is lame. Meh.

I'm gonna watch a video now. Also, hi everyone, long time no see, etc

Re. 'TEENS react to DOOM'.

Do not ask Millennials to say or do anything. It's better for all concerned . . .

ThePlamzJoker said:

"I don't think I know what a floppy disk is! Are they the things that, um, they're kinda like square-looking and they look like the save button on the computer?"

I sure hope that girl isn't studying IT.

Why so. She shouldn't remember what the floppy-disks are. For better good, trust me.

The Asian was annoying "Oh gawd this game Isn't all that special I like storeh In meh geam".

I liked that all the other Teens had fun though, that's exactly the point of DOOM, there's barely no story, It's all fun. But still, then not knowing what a Floppy Disk Is kind of stabbed my soul. Even as a child I knew what a Floppy Disk was, despite me not being born In that timeline (I was born In '97, mind you).

To be honest, the only one that I appreciated the most was the girl who has played DOOM before. She's pretty cool.

Then again, I really don't like Reaction videos, or TheFineBros In general, so I could give less of a shit. But still, cool.

Poormetheus said:

Re. 'TEENS react to DOOM'.

Do not ask Millennials to say or do anything. It's better for all concerned . . .

This is such a short-sighted perspective. Millenials aren't one big homogenous mass with the same views on everything. I wish people would stop perpuating this stupid notion that each generation has to look down on the next one; as if any generation is objectively better than another.

We were all teenagers at one point and a pretty major thing that likely never helped any of us was adults being completely dismissive of us as we tried to figure out where/who we were in the world.

TheMightyHeracross said:

So you basically didn't like anyone who didn't know/like Doom... even though it's older than all of them.

Of course not, but I really can't respect anyone that much when they can't appreciate what DOOM's brought us when It comes to FPS.

I have never felt so surrounded by old people in my entire life. Reading this thread is cringe in of itself. I mean it is obvious all REACT is completely staged bullshit meant to appeal to stay at home moms but like can you guys accept you were young once too? Like stuff can be new to someone else. Doom was made before I was born yet no one of you really give me shit for it, you don't say "wow this kid really understands old games." But even going off of that I don't really see Doom as old, like even when I watch Aliens or The Thing I don't think it's old.

I don't know, there's just so much "kids these days" posts in this thread and I happen to be one of the kids these days so whatever, first world problems. Not like anyone is gonna read this and feel compelled to change anyways.

Hoodie said:

there's just so much "kids these days" posts in this thread...

Honestly, these post were in the minority. Most people were intrigued and pleasantly surprised. The fact that these teenagers took a liking to the game wouldn't give much merit to those complaining about it.

Relax.

Voros said:

The Asian has different tastes. Can't make everyone happy you know.

That's true. It's fine to prefer story-based games.

But then her reaction to the Doom 4 trailer is "That's so cool! That's so cool!!"

There's no more story there, it's just shooting polygonal monsters instead of sprite-based ones.

of course a teen is going to react more positively to something new and current-looking than something old and dated. even if it isn't more story-based. what'd you expect?

Splatter said:

That's true. It's fine to prefer story-based games.

But then her reaction to the Doom 4 trailer is "That's so cool! That's so cool!!"

There's no more story there, it's just shooting polygonal monsters instead of sprite-based ones.

Also "you see, now the monsters actually look scary, so I'm not going to play this"

She's very picky!

They don't want scary monsters? Well, there's always Chex Quest...

Oh no, the teenage girl isn't as big into demons and gore as I am, there must be something seriously wrong with her. Are you for real?

Good post. I enjoyed watching it...though I cringed a lot, especially during E1M1. She looked at the armor and goes, "Is that a bad guy?"

But all in all, I'm glad to see an appreciation amongst the younger crowd.

hex11 said:

They don't want scary monsters? Well, there's always Chex Quest...

"is this a kids game?" :P

How is this thread still going on?

This is why I unsubscribe to threads.

I really enjoyed watching them play, as they had very honest reactions to the game and seemed genuinely intrigued and scared at parts. Though, that one girl that kept mentioning about how she used to "play this all the time and knows all the secrets and everything" only to not get any secrets, and play just as all the others did, was kind of irritating. Reminded me of me, ahahahah.

Doominator2 said:

"Do I shoot the armor is it going to kill me"
That pretty much sums up the rest of the video

yeah, a single cringe-worthy line sums up the entirety of the video, just like "It stinks like rotten meat" sums up the entirety of Doom.

Nirvana said:

This is such a short-sighted perspective. Millenials aren't one big homogenous mass with the same views on everything. I wish people would stop perpuating this stupid notion that each generation has to look down on the next one; as if any generation is objectively better than another.

We were all teenagers at one point and a pretty major thing that likely never helped any of us was adults being completely dismissive of us as we tried to figure out where/who we were in the world.

Not sure if I've ever seen this put any better online. Good job.

Anyway, the one kid "Hurt Me Plenty...Savage! Oh I've seen this before!" How can that shit not make you at least smile? Fuck is wrong with some of you? These are kids that are younger than the game, think about it god damn.

The only complaint I have is we didn't get to see these kids pick up the chaingun or something, fight some real demons in Hell.

Doomhuntress said:

yeah, a single cringe-worthy line sums up the entirety of the video, just like "It stinks like rotten meat" sums up the entirety of Doom.

But it does, that one cringe worthy comment is the first of many cringey moments throughout the video. The WHOLE video made me cringe infact

TheMightyHeracross said:

And no, you would not have made the video more interesting. You would have made it boring, in fact, because the whole idea of the video is to gather a newer generation that (for the most part) doesn't know what this is since it's before their time, and introduce them to it, then see their reaction. Hand-picking just the teens who know Doom inside-out ruins the entire point of the video.

qft

They reacted exactly how I expected them to react.

Also, Doomworld is exactly as I remember it since the last time I was gone for a long time and then returned...

Voros said:

They wanted to show Doom the way it ORIGINALLY released. No GZdoom. No BD. No mlook. No jump and crouch. No high res. Dead Simple.

But they did use GZDoom. I can't recall a single sourceport other than GZDoom that filters sprites and shows a message when it autosaves at the beginning of a level.

IMX said:

But they did use GZDoom. I can't recall a single sourceport other than GZDoom that filters sprites and shows a message when it autosaves at the beginning of a level.

I figure it's one of two things. Either they wanted a hardware source port that has a high resolution and smoothed out lighting (Doesn't have rectangles of brightness like software source ports do) or they didn't bother doing any kind of research and just went with the most popular source port because they didn't want to have to use Dosbox.