Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradharding

DOOM Retro v5.3 (updated March 3, 2024)

Changes have been made to the format of savegames that breaks compatibility with previous versions of DOOM Retro.

So, save game files from older versions may work? Or just going forward after this version, all savegames should be compatible with newer versions?

Brewtal_Legend said:

So, save game files from older versions may work? Or just going forward after this version, all savegames should be compatible with newer versions?

No, I guess I should reword this. All this means is savegames with previous versions of DR won't work with this new version, due to some minor changes made.

Question for the author, but also for anybody in this thread who uses Doom Retro on the regular. Have you had any player complaints that the mouse felt laggy when using uncapped framerate?

The reason I ask is because the way ZDoom handles mouse control of the camera uses no interpolation - instead it immediately modifies the angle of the camera straight from the event handler. That kind of seemed...inelegant to me, so I never implemented it, but if "mouse lag" is something some of your users experience, I'm more than happy to take another look at the problem.

To be clear, I know that there is lag when capped framerate interpolation is used - there is only a question of if it is noticeable to users.

I've definitely noticed what feels like mouse turn lagginess in Crispy Doom, which I assume uses similar interpolation code.

Every now and then there is a little lag but it doesn't really bug me. Would be nice if a fix was there for it.

On my laptop I've noticed that Doom Retro doesn't feel ultra smooth like Gzdoom does. I can tell the difference when switching from one to the other.

AlexMax said:

Question for the author, but also for anybody in this thread who uses Doom Retro on the regular. Have you had any player complaints that the mouse felt laggy when using uncapped framerate?

The reason I ask is because the way ZDoom handles mouse control of the camera uses no interpolation - instead it immediately modifies the angle of the camera straight from the event handler. That kind of seemed...inelegant to me, so I never implemented it, but if "mouse lag" is something some of your users experience, I'm more than happy to take another look at the problem.

To be clear, I know that there is lag when capped framerate interpolation is used - there is only a question of if it is noticeable to users.

There have been a couple of complaints about mouse lag, and I myself experience it intermittently (initially I attributed it to my underpowered PC). If you'd like to have a look at the issue, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Hello,

I noticed that the console command "r_gamma off" doesn't work, I'm forced to use "r_gamma 1". I don't know whether this is intended or not.

I would also suggest to never use the translucency effect on the messages at the top of the screen and on the map names at the bottom of the automap, as in my opinion they don't look good in certain circumstances (for example, when the messages are shown against a clear sky -- e1m1, e4m1).

Thanks

vesperas said:

Hello,

I noticed that the console command "r_gamma off" doesn't work, I'm forced to use "r_gamma 1". I don't know whether this is intended or not.

I would also suggest to never use the translucency effect on the messages at the top of the screen and on the map names at the bottom of the automap, as in my opinion they don't look good in certain circumstances (for example, when the messages are shown against a clear sky -- e1m1, e4m1).

Thanks

Thanks for this. I've fixed the "r_gamma" problem. With the translucency of player messages + automap title: I would prefer to keep the translucency, but I have reduced it.

"Monsters will now be alerted when the player punches a wall or the air."

Just curious about the reasoning about this one. I know that's how it was in the original, but I always felt like it was a bug or oversight. While punching a wall alerting enemies does make some sense, punching the air alerting them makes no sense to me personally.

If I made Doom, I would have made it so that punching the air didn't alert monsters, but pulling out the chaingun immediately alerted any monsters who heard it. Consequently, I would have made it so that pulling out the chaingun didn't make any noise to begin with. Well, either that or made it so that both the fist and the chaingun could be chosen even without the berserk pack.

edit: and by chaingun I meant to say chainsaw...

Brewtal_Legend said:

"Monsters will now be alerted when the player punches a wall or the air."

Just curious about the reasoning about this one. I know that's how it was in the original, but I always felt like it was a bug or oversight. While punching a wall alerting enemies does make some sense, punching the air alerting them makes no sense to me personally.

This change was a quick solution to issue 255. I made this change intending to work on it further to stop alerting monsters when punching the air only (which I've just done here).

Brewtal_Legend said:

The new version does not seem to generate a config file.

It does, but it's now saved in Users\<username>\AppData\Local\DOOM Retro\.

VGA said:

I think it's weird for a portable app like DR, which is distributed in a zip, to save files in the user's App folder.

If the app is supposed to be portable, doing that is dead wrong. The whole point of being 'portable' is to leave no crap behind and be able to keep the config files along with the app.

The thought behind moving the cfg file to AppData (and similarly, the pics to Pictures) was to behave like a good Windows app apparently should. Eventually I did plan to create an installer that installs DR to Program Files, and with the executable in there, you can't write to that folder. So at no point did I mean for DR to be "portable". That said, I'll consider reverting this change. And perhaps putting the screenshots in a screenshots\ folder in same folder as the exe.

I think that 'real' portable apps have some magic code in them that works out whether they are a 'proper' install and hence use the official windows locations for data, or a portable intallation and hence use a data directory within the app.

OpenXCom becomes portable if there is a folder named user in the games directory – if it is not there, it stores the user data in My Documents. I think this is a very good implementation.

TheNerdTurtle2 said:

So I've been gone for a while and Doom Retro is my favorite port, have you introduced Boom compatibility yet?

Yes. DOOM Retro has been BOOM-compatible since August of last year.

Sorry for spamming this forum haha but I downloaded the new Doom Retro and I seem to be missing something, I know in the old version I had a config I could ticker with to make the water stop bobbing and stuff I don't see a config now

TheNerdTurtle2 said:

Sorry for spamming this forum haha but I downloaded the new Doom Retro and I seem to be missing something, I know in the old version I had a config I could ticker with to make the water stop bobbing and stuff I don't see a config now

No problem. Spam away! DR's config file is now placed in C:\Users\<username>\Local\AppData\DOOM Retro. It's recommended, though, that you instead use the console in-game. Press the ~ key to open it, enter "cvarlist" for a list of variables to change, and "cmdlist" for a list of commands.

bradharding said:

No problem. Spam away! DR's config file is now placed in C:\Users\<username>\Local\AppData\DOOM Retro. It's recommended, though, that you instead use the console in-game. Press the ~ key to open it, enter "cvarlist" for a list of variables to change, and "cmdlist" for a list of commands.

So in the console can I set permanent commands? For whatever reason I thought I had to enter them everytime