Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

Bugger This

Over at Doom2 dot net the Doom Research pages have been updated with two new bugs. Both are pretty cool, though I had a bit of trouble getting them to work with prBoom (I'll have to try doom2.exe in a bit). First is the sergeant in Map02 that is 'sleeping' and next is a fun deathmatch error where the engine disallows spawning in the DM starts and when it tries to spawn the player in a SP start that doesn't exist, they player spawns as a corpse that can run around and open doors, but not do anything else. The bugs in the Doom engine have to be the most fun ever.

RailGunner said:

i found an unusaul bug...

In DSV4 when i killed a lost soul, it's death animation got cought through the double doors. Resulting as a flying blood corpse.

I'd like to see a demo of that...

Cyb said:
Both are pretty cool, though I had a bit of trouble getting them to work with prBoom

The blind sergeant is a low-level bug which there is no compatibility toggle for, it's only normally enabled in demos. But if you load PrBoom with -complevel 0 you should see it.

The running body demo causes memory corruption so it's not supported by PrBoom.

Neat stuff...

Talking about bugs, what is an R_MapPlane error? Doom crashes like in a VPO, albeit it seems a bit more severe, as it rebooted and often froze Win98. I triggered it again after booting to DOS and on occasion it still froze the OS. It happens jumping down a huge, and quite deep, chasm (in apocalyp.wad e1m9; an old WAD found in the idgames Archive.)

Myk: I think it's when a sector is more than 1024 high, but I could very well be wrong.

I encountered an unusual bug yesterday playing No Hope For Life's E1M8. I killed a Demon, and the Demon's corpse kept sliding across the floor. I was like "WTF?!" Of course, it may have been ZDoom's fault as well...

DooMBoy said:

I encountered an unusual bug yesterday playing No Hope For Life's E1M8. I killed a Demon, and the Demon's corpse kept sliding across the floor. I was like "WTF?!" Of course, it may have been ZDoom's fault as well...

That usually happens on stairs. In fact, when i was playing dissoloution, there was a step on both sides of the caco i just killed, so he was sliding back and forth for a while. It seemed like it was posessed by some higher cacodemon god who didnt want to let it die.

DooMBoy said:

That's ZDoom's fault. I think it has new improved MBF-style physics code or something.

Of course they're old, this is doom ;)
I remember getting the running corpse bug in Evolution, map05 in coop with 2 friends.

DooMBoy said:

Yup, as said - Zdoom, and for the best example of it play Doom2, Map22, go into the final room and kill the chaingun guys and watch their bodies and dropped weapons bounce up and down the stairs for as long as you want. (This happens in 1.23 b33, dunno about other versions.)

RailGunner said:

In skull tag when you kill somebody on a trapoline (training level i think) the dead body bounces.

Yes and indeed that wouldn't happen in real life.. still its only a game eh

myk said:

Neat stuff...

Talking about bugs, what is an R_MapPlane error? Doom crashes like in a VPO, albeit it seems a bit more severe, as it rebooted and often froze Win98. I triggered it again after booting to DOS and on occasion it still froze the OS. It happens jumping down a huge, and quite deep, chasm (in apocalyp.wad e1m9; an old WAD found in the idgames Archive.)

This also happened to me using Zdoom v. 1.22 . Cool wad btw.

Ah the walking body bug, I recall reciving a demo of it from someone who encountered it... I don't remember who sent it however, but it's interesting to know how everything works with thoose bugs anyway.

The bugs in the Doom engine have to be the most fun ever.

The Visplane Overflow is the best, ever! :D

Little Faith said:

This also happened to me using Zdoom v. 1.22 .

Yeah, it was quite easy to make it happen in Zdoom 1.22. Make a very tall platform, type idclip and walk up to the platform. Chances are you'd get a crash. Hasn't happened to me in the newest version, and I have tried.

The platform with the soul sphere in Doom 2 MAP29 is a fine place for testing. I've had ZDoom go down something like 3 times when IDCLIP-ing that one.