Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

DOOM easter eggs / references / injokes

Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3 returns from Doom 3, although it has a new arcade cabinet now. Yes, it is playable.

Early on, there is a door that appears to have been constructed by Vault-Tec from the Fallout series, I can't wait for crackpot theories about how the games are now officially in the same universe.

I witnessed another Dopefish reference on stream, there's a Maruchan knock-off with Dopefish in it, in the second stage I believe.

Extremely minor reference: a UAC security panel refers to Z-Sec, which was the name of the zombie trooper guys in Doom 3.

also here's a better image of above:

I don't know if this counts, but the Storage Cap in SnapMap has two blue containers with the classic UAC logo on them!

This might be a long shot, but I feel like this old image of the, uh, Doomslayer that you can find:

Is influenced by the Ark of the Covenant woodcut illustration from Raiders of the Lost Ark:

Huh, he seems to be kicking the living crap out of a bunch of demons that closely resemble the ones from the classic cover by Don Ivan Punchatz.

Who would have thought. Super Turbo Turky Puncher is playable (ENTER To Punch if youˋre curious ) .

PureSlime said:

Notice that entire panel is actually modeled after the menus in Doom 3 as well.

I tried pressing use on some of the buttons a couple of times.

Linguica said:

Is influenced by the Ark of the Covenant woodcut illustration from Raiders of the Lost Ark:

Uh, surely this is referencing Evil Dead 2. There is a page in the Necronomicon called 'the hero that fell from the sky' or some shit that foreshadows Ash's unfortunate ending.

Linguica said:

Early on, there is a door that appears to have been constructed by Vault-Tec from the Fallout series, I can't wait for crackpot theories about how the games are now officially in the same universe.

I'm waiting for the crackpot theories that Doom Guy and Link from the Legend of Zelda are versions of the same person in parallel dimensions.

BluePineapple72 said:

I hear that in The Necropolis, that shooting the giant skulls forehead will reveal some Easter egg, can anyone confirm?

Yep. I shot a rocket in his brain and he spawned a cube which contained a doomguy actuion figure and it looked just like the one from Doom 2.

Watching a walkthrough on youtube, I noticed that the hand scanner in the foundry level requires a "Z-Sec" security clearance, probably a reference to the Doom 3 enemy.

Reference to Tei Tenga, the planet from the original Doom Bible. Also December 10 (the original Doom shareware release date).

mordecai32 said:

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but here's Doomguy's face:

http://i.imgur.com/g0QQ7ak.jpg

What's the source of that? For all we know it could be the actor who played him in the cinematic trailer

Edit:

BluePineapple72 said:

I hear that in The Necropolis, that shooting the giant skulls forehead will reveal some Easter egg, can anyone confirm?

Not any kind of skull, it's a big skull very reminiscent of the Icon of Sin. You need to shoot a rocket at it, then one of the classic DOOM spawn cubes will appear (a modern-styled version). Apparently it also plays DSBOSSIT at the same time

Linguica said:

There are various animations for picking up Doomguy bobblehead collectibles. This one:

http://i.imgur.com/OYGP697.gif

the post-brofist finger-wiggle retreat might be a reference to a recurring joke in Big Hero 6.

When I found him that fist bump made me smile :) Because I didn't expect to see anything new in terms of animations. So fucking cool! Attention to details right there! And I don't think this is a reference to anything outside Doom. He just found a Doom Guy doll and that's it :)

IMX said:

What's the source of that? For all we know it could be the actor who played him in the cinematic trailer

It's in-game, you unlock this model after finding one of the collectibles.

Also, i've been hearing that if you complete the game on nightmare mode, you get to use the praetor suit in MP, can someone confirm this?