Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Enforcer

My thoughts on the game!

Chezza said:

Although I haven't tried doing this, I doubt it. From what I remember, when you enter the Snapmap builder there is no lobby system or option for someone to join you.

Pity, that would be so much fun.

vandalen said:

But id like to know if me and my friend could CO-OP build in snapmap.
Like, create a lobby, join snapmap and work on a map TOGETHER.

Nope. But hell if that isn't an awesome idea. Get on it, id.

Decided to try it again even though I was not impressed at Quakecon and the beta and am still disappointed. Feels like any other game and nothing like classic Doom. Best part was finding a doom marine doll and hearing the classic Doom theme. Maybe there will be something else like Doom in it at some point. Tired of the gameplay after 30 minutes though.

Gruson said:

Decided to try it again even though I was not impressed at Quakecon and the beta and am still disappointed. Feels like any other game and nothing like classic Doom. Best part was finding a doom marine doll and hearing the classic Doom theme. Maybe there will be something else like Doom in it at some point. Tired of the gameplay after 30 minutes though.

So tell me, what would suffice for a game like the classic doom?

It has to literally transport him back in time to the mid-90s, where it serves as an escape in between daily bullying at school, the awkwardness of his older sister turning into a goth and his dad's handle over alcohol starting to unravel.

HellVain said:

So tell me, what would suffice for a game like the classic doom?

Probably 256 color graphics.

Easy:
Memorable music (themes for each level), iconic monsters, and fun weapons and gameplay. Remember E1M1 music, Pinky and Cacodemon, and the sounds of those doors opening. Doom 4 just doesn't have it. The first trailer for it was promising with the sounds but the actual game is just not memorable.

Modern graphics would be awesome if the monsters and levels resembled Doom more.

Doom 4 resembles Doom 3 more than 1 and 2 for sure and 3 was also a failure IMO.

dethtoll said:

It has to literally transport him back in time to the mid-90s, where it serves as an escape in between daily bullying at school, the awkwardness of his older sister turning into a goth and his dad's handle over alcohol starting to unravel.

That was funny for sure. Lol

Gruson said:

Easy:
Memorable music (themes for each level), iconic monsters, and fun weapons and gameplay. Remember E1M1 music, Pinky and Cacodemon, and the sounds of those doors opening. Doom 4 just doesn't have it.

All of these things are in Doom 4

Gruson said:

You are pretty much one of the only people out of a handful whose opinions have no weight whatsoever. Just so you know.

Gruson said:

Easy:
Memorable music (themes for each level), iconic monsters, and fun weapons and gameplay. Remember E1M1 music, Pinky and Cacodemon, and the sounds of those doors opening. Doom 4 just doesn't have it. The first trailer for it was promising with the sounds but the actual game is just not memorable.

Modern graphics would be awesome if the monsters and levels resembled Doom more.

To be fair, Doom 4 does feature the classic door opening sound, even though I find it more distracting and out of place than anything. Also, the gameplay seems alright: the weapons and monsters may look super generic, but at least, they appear to be fun to play with.

I agree with pretty much everything else. $80 CAD feels way too expensive for a game that does not even come with modding support. Like Wolfenstein:TNO, I might pick it up when it gets a significant pricedrop, but in the meantime, I would rather stick with Classic Doom and its multitude of great maps and mods.

Doom 4 resembles Doom 3 more than 1 and 2 for sure and 3 was also a failure IMO.

It does feel like Doom 3 in places, but it strikes me more as a mishmash of Crysis 2/3 and Shadow Warrior 2013.

I would have actually been interested to see what the original Doom 4 had to offer. Ultimately, it may not have been a better game, but at least it would have been something different for the series. Also, Doom II really could use a proper remake. How many goddamn times do we have to see that freaking UAC Mars base get invaded by demons anyway? Give us something new already!

chubz said:

This game's Hell makes DOOM 3's look like a complete and utter joke. WOW. I am just in awe.

I'd say it does the same for the most part to the mars base like areas as well (though that is more on it being more open and the like), but Doom 3 still has the better creepy factor brought out by the lighting.

I feel like the game really took the stuff that did work with Doom 3 and just incorporated that into a classic FPS game with some new flavour.

chubz said:

This game's Hell makes DOOM 3's look like a complete and utter joke. WOW. I am just in awe.

at least Doom 3's Hell levels are better than Half LIfe's Xen

Gruson said:

Easy:

they all have those. Even the monsters and te levels resemble the classics times ten.

This game is packed with stuff, I've been playing all day, taking my time with each level, playing the classics as I unlock them, and I just reached Titans realm, very satisfied with the single player.

Btw Rich get richer rune is super OP. Infinite ammo with high armor lol.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

I would have actually been interested to see what the original Doom 4 had to offer. Ultimately, it may not have been a better game, but at least it would have been something different for the series. Also, Doom II really could use a proper remake. How many goddamn times do we have to see that freaking UAC Mars base get invaded by demons anyway? Give us something new already!

When ID will finish the cycle by releasing Quake 5 as a similar game to Quake 3, then but only then I will agree with you

For me it's been absolutely awesome experience so far (just got to hell on UV). At first I was taken back by how fast the movement speed was, very doom and quake like.

I love how dynamic the A.I is, you really get to see each demons strengths when they fight in a pack rather than individually later on.

Weapons and sound effects are excellent, even better than the beta but I noticed I have to have the volume up a bit more than other games for it to sound punchy. Glory kill system works really well and it complements the weapons.

The thing that surprised me most has been the level design, it's just Amazing, it seems to take que from doom 1&2, quake 1&2 and added some dark souls in the way some areas join up from other branching paths of a level. For me it's been fun working out how to get to the secrets and I find it adds an extra layer of appreciation to the environments your traversing, it's a nice break from the intense battles with the demon. My jaw dropped when I first got to hell, fucking hair raising lol, graphics are just crazy good.

I also like the humour, doom guy just doesn't give a fuck what s being told to him by Samuel. I also thought it was a nice touch when using the arm to unlock a door it played the e3 crowd cheer. Interesting how that level turned out in the final game, one of my favs so far.

BluePineapple72 said:

Fuck, IGN uploaded a review in progress: 7.1

Some of the bad things they talked about that dragged the score down were basically retarded, so I wouldn't take that "review in progress" for a grain of salt

That is probably why Bethesda held the game until release because of shit stains like that. I wouldn't be surprised if 'pro' reviewers deliberately rate the game poor as its kinda calling them out. Polygon seem to have tried to put the game in a bad light with a poor gameplay. Well the gamers have spoken so fuck these pro review sites.

I can't believe it's 2016 and people still take IGN seriously as an organization of any relevance.

dethtoll said:

I can't believe it's 2016 and people still take IGN seriously as an organization of any relevance.

They still greatly survive because they cover almost every type of media (that young americans potentially like. I m not english so it is just an assumption)

riky_rice said:

When ID will finish the cycle by releasing Quake 5 as a similar game to Quake 3, then but only then I will agree with you

You do not agree that almost every Doom game involves the UAC base on Mars getting invaded by the legions of Hell?

Because that happens in Classic Doom, Doom 64, Doom 3, Doom RPG, Resurrection of Evil and now Doom 2016.

And even though Doom II and Final Doom were taking place elsewhere, the lack of variety in the visuals made it hard to tell them apart from the usual setting.

I cant remember the last time I logged in to comment. They nailed it, they made the Doom that I expected with Doom3. I wasn't going to buy it but my girlfriend knows how much I like the originals after watching me play through psx doom. She saw it in Game and decided to treat me.

I was hurt by Doom3. I bought the original xbox just to play it as it was cheaper than getting a graphics card that was upto the job. It didn't feel like doom, it was okay, it was scary but it wasn't doom.

I bought Division because the guys at work told me it was the best modern game, it isnt. I bought a few COD games, shite. Doom/doom4/doom2016 is not the best game ever but it is the best doom game since doom 2. I have only played for about 90 minutes but I have laughed a few times, got overexcited about 10 times and caught myself talking aloud more times than that.

Game looks amazing. I'm positively surprised how good it looks. Wish that someday I'll have 1/10 skills of id graphics. And with all that superb graphics this work smooth and well on max settings (i5 333, 8GB, GTX980 - permanent 60fps, maybe with very rare not noticible framedrops). The second most important thing to me - atmosphere - is perfect. Sometimes I feel like in nineties when I first saw Doom. Many places are bright, but still have THAT thing. Respect to devs.

I have to say Snap Map is a looot of fun. It really sucks you in :) Spent 5 hours making a level. Somehow it reminds me of playing LEGO when I was a kid :) I'am curently making a really dark SP level and I will finish it probably today. Hope you guys will check it out! The only issue I have is with music. I set one track to play when the Baron shows up but it always plays a different track. .Strange. .I really hope id will fix the bouncing ragdolls and some issues with the physics in their next patch as well as some stuff in Snap Map. If they will the game will be flawless! Oh BTW fuck MP. .it's boring

I'm actually viciously bored by Snapmap.

It doesn't feel like it's good at generating actually well-designed levels. It's more of linking a bunch of existing and fairly boring chambers together and littering them with boxes and barricades to fake level design.

Just my thoughts, though.