Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

When did Gez become such a stickler for alignment? Not that he's wrong, mind you.

Simon666 said:

A sky inspired by Plutonia!

Give me vertical tiling, or give me death!

Avoozl said:

I like what I see, I assume that the flame textures are animated?

Of course!

Simon666 said:

Nice stuff, remind me of Supplice for some odd reasons :P

Heheheh, there might be a reason for that :P

I usually just dump screenshots on Twitter these days and forget completely about posting them anywhere else. Thankfully Cage and Jimmy are more thoughtful than I am. Here are some more (I'll make a proper project update at some point).

At the moment I've just been converting 32in24 DM maps that I really liked (mostly to get a feel for Cage's new assets). But in the future I'll be doing more from-scratch mapping.

By the way, some awesome shots have been posted! In particular mouldy's shot, that looking really wicked!

Crunchynut44 said:

Wow Cage that looks incredible!

+1! I love this green atmosphere :)

Edit, oh f*cking god Mechadon, I love these screens too!

Yeah, beautiful shots Cage and Mech! I can't wait to play the maps y'all are cooking up!

So, I've made a second vanilla Heretic map... if I'm not careful, this will turn into an entire episode; and we don't want that, do we? ;)

I have this aqueduct that basically runs through the map and can be seen at a few sections.

Jayextee said:

So, I've made a second vanilla Heretic map... if I'm not careful, this will turn into an entire episode; and we don't want that, do we? ;)

No, we want a full shipment of five entire episodes. :p

How do you approach Heretic mapping anyway? I feel like if I tried it, I would do everything incorrectly because my head is already filled with too many Doom tropes. So my Heretic maps would probably be very "inauthentic" or something.

I think you make a cheesy 2-storied building that really only has 1 story, surround it in a wooden platform and then surround that in water. Place a couple useless powerups on the ledges to intice players and make all traps highly telegraphed monster closets that open up. Bonus points if the water flows through the complex somehow.

Ahh... <3 Hairydick.

kuchitsu said:

How do you approach Heretic mapping anyway? I feel like if I tried it, I would do everything incorrectly because my head is already filled with too many Doom tropes. So my Heretic maps would probably be very "inauthentic" or something.

Unless you're deliberately making a shit map, is there such a thing as "doing it wrong" when it comes to mapping? Considering that "what is wrong" and "what is right" varies from person to person.

Also holy shit Mechadon/Cage, that looks absolutely fantastic :o The last two shots of that grey/purple/blue map are particularly attractive to me. Maybe it's the colour scheme, I've always been fond of "black + a couple strong colours".

kuchitsu said:

To be honest, my approach is something along the lines of "make an area as representative of something as I can with these limited textures, then connect it somehow to other areas I made". Just keep doing that until there seems like enough level.

I mean, the recent map I did have a plan in mind already (i.e. remake an old Heretic level I made in 2001-ish that I don't have anymore) but that went out the window and I just made a Halls of the Damned-esque 'grab 3 keys, open 3 doors, exit' thing.

@Cage/Mechadon
Holy shit is all I have to say.

Jayextee said:

Blasphemer could always use a few maps, if you're cool with that. Nice work.

kuchitsu said:

First play through Heretic and Hexen a lot, just to immerse yourself in their ambience and architectural style. Then go hog wild.

Don't forget also that there are some people who make Heretic-style maps for Doom and nobody objects. Doom is probably a more inclusive game as you can fit just about any map theme in it and it'll somehow fit (spaceship? factory? urban sprawl? gothic castle? hellish palace? wild west town? jungle caves? ancient ruins? they all work in Doom) and it's less true in Heretic, but there's still a lot of possibilities.

I've wanted to make a map for Heretic for a long time now, but I think I would have the same problem as kuchitsu when first approaching it. Mainly around how to handle item and monster placements and progression.

NinjaLiquidator said:

Cage & Mechadon: Thats fucking stuff! Where to download?

Nothing to download yet, sorry :(. Glad you like the screenshots though!

Just played a few random Heretic maps and never dropped below around 75% HP, despite not playing it in ages. It's like playing Doom on a level with a bunch of HKs and barons modded to shoot imp fireballs.

You should probably spam iron liches and maulotars or something.

rdwpa said:

It's like playing Doom on a level with a bunch of HKs and barons modded to shoot imp fireballs.

That's actually a pretty accurate description.

Will this lead to anything? Probably not as is usually the case with me :V
Messing about in DB anyway!

Motivation is but an annoyance and you need to avoid it at all costs.

Discipline is what'll get you places.

Mechadon: The first two pictures remind me a little of Marathon Infinity (or any of the marathon games, really) with high-definition textures. Is there a connection somewhere?

Jayextee: Looking good! We can't have enough Heretic maps, I think. The only thing about that game that puts me off a bit is the aforementioned lack of dangerous monsters. Other than that, it's almost DooM's equal.