Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brad_tilf

A new generation - the addiction is born

Was he going in blind or did he have an idea of how Doom worked beforehand? Did he know you couldn't look up and down by default, or did you enable mouselook?

Here I am being inquisitive, good to see there's a constant supply of new blood. The old is starting to peel off the walls after 20+ years outside of demons.

PseudoGold said:

Was he going in blind or did he have an idea of how Doom worked beforehand? Did he know you couldn't look up and down by default, or did you enable mouselook?

Here I am being inquisitive, good to see there's a constant supply of new blood. TH eold is starting to peel off the walls after 20+ years outside of demons.

He's played before but still learning the basics but at least its kb/m. :-)

purist said:

Cool, I've already done my bit for the next generation of Doomers :

https://goo.gl/photos/omUqbXgAB3BcAjqV9

Holy crap, what is this multitasking devilry? Is he using the second laptop for looking up hints on youtube? Give the young man a second monitor ffs!

r_init: getpostnumberforname: post not found!

Edited by Justince

I'm considering trying to get my 11 year old brother into Doom. He enjoys playing FPS sometimes as well as creating things, so this might work out well.

My nephew will be born in September and in a few years I'll introduce him to Doom even if my brother allows me or not lol.

dew said:

Holy crap, what is this multitasking devilry? Is he using the second laptop for looking up hints on youtube? Give the young man a second monitor ffs!

Haha, he was watching a YouTube cartoon. Dan Vs I think it was called.

I can't work out what Doom PWAD he is playing but it looks like it has a custom HUD.

Seeing this thread makes me want to introduce DOOM to my godson.

Actually yeah, I'll be sure to do that.

Thanks for the inspiration.

purist said:

Haha, he was watching a YouTube cartoon. Dan Vs I think it was called.

I can't work out what Doom PWAD he is playing but it looks like it has a custom HUD.

The HUD looks like it's from Strain.

joe-ilya said:

The HUD looks like it's from Strain.

Definitely from STRAIN -- I'd recognize that weird skull HUD face anywhere.

If he's younger than 8, there's a chance I'll have an existential crisis.
Because 2cool4me.

Hell ya, if you get it for consoles you can play co-op with him, I do this with my son as well.

I started playing Doom when I was 12. My neighbor told me about the game a few years before that but was too "responsible" to show me it. :(

MrGlide said:

Hell ya, if you get it for consoles you can play co-op with him, I do this with my son as well.

As crusty as Legacy is these days, you can use it for splitscreen co-op if one doesn't have access to a PS3 or 360.

Jaguar and PSX version support 2 player MP, but that requires two consoles, two TVs and a link cable.

That's cool! Pretty impressive that a game this old can still attract people in a good way (and not in the "it's so retro!!!" way i hope).

My sister also likes Doom, but she's too young and cannot control it properly, so she just watches me play. She prefers it with Brutal Doom, though, for some reason.

Personally, I don't understand people stubbornly clinging to an arrow key control scheme. The only real reason they didn't use mouse look back in the day is because 3D games on PC were relatively new back then and Doom wasn't exactly vertically based so they figured auto-aim would be easier for gamers to handle. Romero even told me on Twitter that he likes that Source Ports use WADS+Mouse.

Yeah, totally... that's why they smartly put forward/backward movement on the mouse. You know, because they predicted that people would use the mouse only for look/turn and the keyboard for only movement.

I always saw the mouse as the "1-handed option" for playing Doom in the 90s.

Romero's quote that he likes that modern source ports use modern controls has nothing to do with what he predicted in the early 90s.

MetroidJunkie said:

Personally, I don't understand people stubbornly clinging to an arrow key control scheme. The only real reason they didn't use mouse look back in the day is because 3D games on PC were relatively new back then and Doom wasn't exactly vertically based so they figured auto-aim would be easier for gamers to handle. Romero even told me on Twitter that he likes that Source Ports use WADS+Mouse.

Um, Because that's what I'm used to using

Reminds me of my Nephew.. spent about 6 or 7 years living with us. He's 12 now.

He's probably the only kid among his friends who has played Doom among dozens of other 80s and 90s games.

Brad_tilf said:

Um, Because that's what I'm used to using

But then why do people act like it makes a difference to see a child copying that control scheme, as if WADS+Mouse is somehow inferior?

Fonze said:

Romero's quote that he likes that modern source ports use modern controls has nothing to do with what he predicted in the early 90s.

Like I said. At the time, it had to do with ease of use since mouse aiming wasn't exactly a thing back then and they figured auto-aiming with the keyboard was simpler.

I dont know if this counts, but my 7-year old brother plays UDoom and Doom 2, with various WADs and mods, like Brutal Doom, IMPatience, Alien Vendetta, Zone 300, 50 Shades of Graytall, Bloodstain, CIF3, etc.

I wouldnt call it an addiction though.

it's a bit weird seeing Doom and Wolfenstein 3D being up on mobile devices, but not Commander Keen. feels like it'd make sense having that game series on there.