Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tyockell

How do i put my modified sprites into doom 2??

Ok i modified the double barrled and pump action shotgun sounds and i modified the pump action shotgun sprite not severly just sawed off the barrle and put vent holes now i used wintex to do so but iv tryed everything to put there modified files into doom2 but when i run the game they dont show up or the icon that says play dosent work so what the hell do i do???
it cant be that hard i dident even do any mayjor editing

I'm not sure exactly what's going on for you. The usual problem is that if you create a patch WAD with modified sprites, you will have to copy ALL of the original game's sprites into your new WAD. Or else doom(2).exe won't run it.

Since that is a very inconvenient way to do things, you'd be better off with using a source port for your project (most source ports fix the bug). I could point to the FAQ for a reference on source ports, but it's very hard to read, so I'll just provide you with links to two popular ones: PrBoom, ZDoom.

However, it seems like you have tried to modify the IWAD (?) and are using Doom95, and the problem is related to that. Unfortunately, you don't provide enough information (for example, I'm not all sure what you mean by "the icon that says play doesn't work"). Please be more specific.

Ok what i mean by the icon which says play is i took the modified sprites and sounds out of my project folder and copyed them into my doom 2 folder it then copyed over the original information in doom 2 and it gave me a document stateing that the the doom 2 wad was modified and are able to run it throught the icon named play or can restore the original back by using the restore icon but neather of the icons work it goes into a msDOS format and says bed command or file name and does nothing then when i run the normal doom 2 it dosent show my new sprite /sounds so i just want to be able to play doom 2 with my modified files

First off, you shouldn't modify your Doom 2 WAD. You should always create separate WADs for your modifications and keep the main game data intact.

Your problem could be that you don't have DeuSF installed with WinTex. I'm not sure, but it might be. DeuSF is required for WAD merging/restoring operations, and I don't think it comes with all downloads of WinTex.

ok is there anyway i can just replace these few sprites in doom 2 along with the 2 sound files i dont care about keeping the game data original cuz i want to play throught the game with these modifications is this possible and if not can you name any good weapons mods out there or a differnt program for this small task i would like to do???

Well, it should work if made with WinTex. You could try DeepSea for inserting your sprites as an alternative.

There are some good weapon mods out there, for example Espi's Guns PC for EDGE.