Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
termrork

Question about wads

I am wondering about a functionality and possibility to do that with doomedsda.us.

What I want to do:

I am mapping a megawad (will be related to avj.wad) which seems to need at least 5 years from now on to finish (already mapping it for 1 year (around 2 maps finished)).
Since this wad is made to speedrun it would be kind of ad to wait till it is finished to upload it so people can run it...

Therefore this is my idea and question if it is possible:
- I upload xy.wad including 3 maps, lets say 01, 05, 08
so people can speedrun them

then 1 year later I will upload an updated version ov xy.wad
with 3 more maps but without touching map 01, 05, 08 but only
inlcuding more maps like 02, 03, 04 (not changing any map numbers of 01, 05 & 08)

Now my question:
with the 2nd version, can people still play back .lmp files
from the 1st version? Is it possible to update wads at doomedsda for that purpose?

Thank you in advance for any comments!

edit: forgot another question: further I want to make texture-replacement wads, so people could choose in what style they play the map and also in what they play it back, this is also possible right?

Demos won't desync on maps that have had no changes. Texture change packs should have no impact either, since they only affect aesthetics and not any of the linedef/sector properties. Andy does update dsda wads when they are updated, although he usually doesn't put demos up when the wad isn't complete. In this case though if the progress is slow and you are sure the maps won't change, he might put them up (assuming you do get demos from people).

kraflab said:

although he usually doesn't put demos up when the wad isn't complete

??
What is this claim based on? I think Andy will add just about any attached demo posted outside of that "official thread".

kuchitsu said:

??
What is this claim based on? I think Andy will add just about any attached demo posted outside of that "official thread".

BTSX E2 = no demos on the site.

@vdgg

Isn't that just due to the fact that no one actually submitted any demos?

Bloodstain has demos on DSDA despite an update planned in the future. Chillax was (is?) a continuously developed WAD never uploaded to idgames and there are 2 demos for the old version on DSDA. There are probably more and better examples.

I'm not aware of any case where upload to DSDA was denied based on the fact that a WAD is still in development.

Keyboard_Doomer said:

Bloodstain has demos on DSDA despite an update planned in the future.

Woah! Got a source for that?

No, I remember vdgg posting a Map15 max shortly after the beta came out. Hmm, now I'm not sure. I think later at some point Andy said that he's unhappy with this trend of continuous beta releases because storing demos gets so confusing. So maybe he operates differently now.

Bloodstain has an idgames upload (anything with that will definitely get posted). But anyway, a specific example would be some demos I did for estranged, that didn't get uploaded for months while the wad was not on idgames.

On the other hand, there are btsx e1 demos on dsda, despite that being unfinished to the point where there is even a new map, and with demos for multiple versions of it. So who knows :P

rileymartin said:

Woah! Got a source for that?

Source would be this post. However, after Cyberdemon531 asked for clarification 2 months later he didn't get a reply so who knows. It's been a few months and Pipicz doesn't seem to be too active on DW these days.

@kraflab
Seems like it's more complicated and only Andy knows for sure :P
BTSX E1 is a perfect example for demos for unfinished WADs not on idgames being uploaded to DSDA and your Estranged demos perfect example for the opposite ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My problem with beta versions is the compatibility issue. It's a pain having to test and move around old demos when an incompatible version is released, which is why I'll sometimes wait to post demos if there's a high likelihood a new release is forthcoming. I'll admit to not being terribly consistant in this (or anything else, really). My opinion of what to do in a given situation tends to change on a case-by-case basis and there are so many WADs and demos that it's impossible to normalize everything.

That said, if the old levels are untouched, simply uploading a version with new levels won't be an issue.

thank you Andy Olivera, then I will do it like I said.
and yes, old maps will be untouched for sure, I betatest them a lot with other people before I will upload them.