• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FLAW_88

Polygon and Doom...

Technician said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqJlhFsfsFU

Apparently this did cause a shit storm.

I can't be bothered to watch 12 minutes of herpaderp. Is he complaining about people being mean to him on the internet after he publicly skill-shamed the Polygon reviewer?

SYS said:

I can't be bothered to watch 12 minutes of herpaderp. Is he complaining about people being mean to him on the internet after he publicly skill-shamed the Polygon reviewer?

If you won't watch why are you asking? Besides, skill-shamed? Get real. No one is above criticism. Everyone is within their right to point out this particularly terrible gameplay video. His main beef is with some joker who wrote a counter-article politicizing the event with even more nonsense and bias.

You would think that someone whose career it is to review video games would play slightly better than some female Youtuber that's never even played the game before.

And comparing the guy to someone like Markiplier would just be overkill since Mark started on Ultra Violence and is relatively proficient with the game. I don't expect him to be an expert but he was so obviously inexperienced with first person shooters in general that, if that was your first impression of Doom, you'd think it had bad controls. I'm sorry but calling someone who literally makes their career off of video games a casual gamer doesn't sit well with me, nor should we expect them to play like someone who has never played games in their life.

SYS said:

I love how you strict yourself from watching the video and then infer a question right out of your ass.

"You know what we should stream? Chex Quest. That game is scary." :)

MetroidJunkie said:

You would think that someone whose career it is to review video games would play slightly better than some female Youtuber that's never even played the game before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNoYancG04w

Now I can tell for certain polygon was playing it only with keyboard imputs.. Look more carefully at the movement of the camera side by side. On the right the camera movement is always sudden, there is no variation on the acceleration that an analog stick would have.
They tricked us all along!
Polygon is owned by Microsoft, Bill Gates advertised the first Doom, so Bill Gates played it only with a keyboard because Doom is the only game he has ever played. It all makes sense now!

Bucket said:

This was probably played on an Xbox controller. Those things are absolute shit.

Absolute shit...for FPSes on the PC platform!

I picked the game up on PS4, and by default there is a high level of acceleration on the sticks dampening your movement. I'm pretty good at console shooters, but I felt sluggish for a while. Eventually I found the acceleration option and set it to zero and movement is more responsive and natural.

I wasn't as bad as that video, but I can imagine how the default spongy movement would affect someone new-ish to gamepads.

riky_rice said:

Now I can tell for certain polygon was playing it only with keyboard imputs.. Look more carefully at the movement of the camera side by side. On the right the camera movement is always sudden, there is no variation on the acceleration that an analog stick would have.
They tricked us all along!
Polygon is owned by Microsoft, Bill Gates advertised the first Doom, so Bill Gates played it only with a keyboard because Doom is the only game he has ever played. It all makes sense now!

Or the guy sucks badly at fpses and just jerks the analog stick wildly. =P

All these gamers are random fuck-o nobodies and nothing they say/do is relevant to anyone except those that honestly think it's worth their time to scrutinize the way X versus Y plays Z game. That there are already comparison videos is a monument to how much emphasis we place on critics and journalists.

I think it's because these people are getting paid to do this, it's supposed to be a profession and they're supposed to take it seriously. If you see someone who's supposed to be a professional video game critic who literally plays worse than someone who played the game for the first time, there's a problem. If it was some random guy jerking around with the game, people probably wouldn't bother saying anything.

It's only a problem if you think critics are important. I don't think they are. What's important is how I feel about the game. No one else really matters. That's true for everyone. I mean, use critics and journalists to help mold your opinion, but if someone sucks at what they're critiquing, fuck 'em! Instead, we point them out then they get lots of unintended publicity. Which is silly.

You know, part of me wants to argue with you on that front but you have a point in that it's giving this guy more attention than he deserves, it's like a click bait video.

Use3D said:

If you won't watch why are you asking? Besides, skill-shamed? Get real. No one is above criticism. Everyone is within their right to point out this particularly terrible gameplay video. His main beef is with some joker who wrote a counter-article politicizing the event with even more nonsense and bias.

Skill-shaming is a horrendous patriarchal construct and criticism is hate speech. How dare you.

Technician said:

I love how you strict yourself from watching the video and then infer a question right out of your ass.

So is that a yes or no? TL DW;

SYS said:

Skill-shaming is a horrendous patriarchal construct and criticism is hate speech. How dare you.

Please tell me this is satire. PLEASE!

killer2 said:

Please tell me this is satire. PLEASE!

A real SJW won't call it "criticism", they'll just label all criticism as harassment to make it sound more justifiable. You know, like Anita Sarkeesian. Criticize her and you're "harassing" her.

Don't you be man-splaining the definitions of criticism and harassment.

Feminists: Using the word "man" in descriptions like manholes in spokesmen is sexist! -Proceeds to invent words with 'man' in them for the sole purpose of shaming men-

There is a Patreon campaign to have the term changed to "womynholes". Women can be sewage workers too, but they don't want to because it's a filthy man job.

Ah yes, it was high time this thread turned into unmitigated garbage.

SYS said:

There is a Patreon campaign to have the term changed to "womynholes". Women can be sewage workers too, but they don't want to because it's a filthy man job.

"Personholes" should be the neutral term. LIke fireperson, mailperson etc.

Gez said:

SYS said:

MetroidJunkie said:

Feminists: Using the word "man" in descriptions like manholes in spokesmen is sexist! -Proceeds to invent words with 'man' in them for the sole purpose of shaming men-

Kill this thread please

Gez said:

mistercow said:

Kill this thread please

Pathetic to see that a forum full of grown-ass men can't handle anything remotely "non-PC" and shout for censorship. I spend 10 years away from the Doom community and it turns into a college classroom.

rileymartin said:

Pathetic to see that a forum full of grown-ass men can't handle anything remotely "non-PC" and shout for censorship. I spend 10 years away from the Doom community and it turns into a college classroom.

Sorry. I came to the doom 2016 section to talk about doom 2016 not MRA shit

If you want more posting on MRA shit you can go to some cesspool like reddit and 8chan