Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Is GreenWar being played?

How many times have you DMed GreenWar in the past week?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. How many times have you DMed GreenWar in the past week?

• zero times.
    • once.
    • twice.
    • three times.
    • four times.
    • five or more times.

I've played several of the levels using ZDooMBot and it's unusually fun :)

I like Green war a lot, but can barely find anyone to play it with=(

RailGunner said:

ever heard of bots?

Doom botplay generally sucks compared to the real thing even when a map can accomodate it. The only remotely intelligent bots are Xoap's OPNdoom bots and they're only good for SSG duels. Doombots are basically programmed to have aimbots. Skulltag bots like rubbing up against walls a lot. Cajun bots aren't even worth going into, any autistic with one working hand for the mouse and an erect penis to jam into the keyboard can beat them.

Unreal Tournament has the only good bots I've ever had the pleasure of fighting in any game. Playing UT bots is a lot like playing real, skilled human opponents, especially on higher difficulty settings. I started playing Godlike a few weeks ago and haven't bothered to play on a lower level since.

Um...whats greenwar? Does it, like have something to do with Marijuana? Or Ralph Nader?

Greenwar is cool, I look to it for map ideas seeing as my connection is in despair at the moment.

UT bots 0wn.

I'm just laughing at Liams description of Cajun Bot. Play 15 Cajun bots and in 5 minutes in an arena map you can have 120 or more kills.

What is GreenWar?

Yes, I know this is old, but I think I used to play this a long time ago.

EDIT: I just realized exactly HOW OLD this thread is...fourteen years. Damn. Sorry about that.

If anyone wants to respond to my response, please PM me. This shouldn't get bumped again.

Funny, the poll results could have just as easily been from this year. Only a minority of Doomers are deathmatchers, but GreenWar is a staple, right up there with exec, brit10/11, dwango5/6, udm3/X, etc etc. It's probably more popular/well known than other oldie classics such as the dweller, Danzig and mancer series. Despite having some dud maps, GW has had incredible staying power.

TraceOfSpades said:

EDIT: I just realized exactly HOW OLD this thread is...fourteen years. Damn. Sorry about that.

thou art a bump-meister

I think I played it the very first day I downloaded ZDaemon around 2006-2007, and I also played it yesterday before going to sleep.

It is a great set of levels that make it hard for campers to make a living
r-mega is a similar set of levels by the same author.

r-mega has a lot of unplayable scraps in it, but also some neat stuff. There's a compilation of greenwar and rmega on the Funcrusher server cluster but it doesn't omit the aforementioned scraps. At least map voting is enabled.

Greenwar 2 also gets a decent amount of play but not really as much as the first.

kuchitsu said:

Greenwar 2 was a sacrilege.

oboy here we go

Look, you can say that it was Greenwar with YEDS interior decorators pimping the shit out of it, but the maps still played well. Of course there are some issues for those who exploit wallrunning, but no one plays that way competitively (that I know of).

I gotta agree. GW2 doesn't, and never did, feel like "Greenwar". It was a mis-step and honestly, a disappointment to many in the multiplayer sector of the community. As I stated on IRC in our discussion earlier, I think it's because A) the detailing jacked up many layouts and B) the 32in24 style of texturing sucked the simple "Greenwar" soul away.

I agree with Ralphis on that. The first couple times I played GW and then GW2 I can (and still) hardly believe the wads are related. I think a lot of people can learn from the "detailing" mistakes of GW2 though, whether that is visual busy-ness (distracting over detail) or excessive floor bumpiness (random 8/16 unit drops for the sake of detail). It's been a while since I've played GW2 but I do seem to remember a distinct crampedness in the maps.

As someone who spent a lot of time overanalyzing gw2 (not as much as r_r) and got almost all of his zdaemon exp points on gw, bitches, here's my take:

I don't think it's about the visuals being different or upgraded (although the snags on overdetail are never cool). What subconsciously grates on GW fans' minds is that GW2 is actually very inconsistent layout-wise. There are very 1on1-ish layouts early on that won't support anything from 4 players up at all, but by the end there are ginormous megahuge tourist sims that take like 16 players to even get reasonable map population. There are also a few maps that would feel cramped and dumb even in b10.

That creates the biggest problem: you absolutely cannot play gw2 the gw-way, which is just run a server and rotate all these fun ssg-centric ffa carnages over and over for hours, because they consistently play well in 4 or 16 players. Except for map11, which is actually hands down the worst map in both greenwars and r-mega. GW2 has "thematic groups" and in retrospect... it doesn't work.

As far as I understand it, people picked maps to detail from a massive pool of hellbent layouts and there's actually a fair amount of chaff. R-mega is hellbent's greenwar-era b-sides and that wad is already pretty damn weak, although there is a lot of negativity coming its way because of the disappointing greenwar connection. I only got to GW2 in its final stage when maps were already done and it was time to playtest and fix, but the damage was done in the very first part, because layouts should've been filtered by FFA players to start with. As it was done, there's no way to play gw2 over like 10+ maps without a dramatic change of pacing and.. uh, spacing.

My 2c.

I've always said that Greenwar 2 is perfectly fine if you remove the handful of bad maps (like 3, 7, and everything from 29 to 36) but that goes for a lot of wads: even greenwar 1 has maps I'd rather quit the server over than grind through, that one flower shaped teleporter map is a travesty.

Greenwar from a DM game play perspective is almost perfect. Many layouts work well for OSDM, and most of them flow extremely well with limited disturbances in movement, but in my opinion; it was never a pretty map set and it was very monotonous. Many maps I recall suffered from repeated use of my least favourite textures but as I said; the game play, (which is what a DM mapper should focus on foremost), is mighty fine for DM. Greenwar is one wad I used a lot for inspiration on layouts and one wad I will still happily play.

While Greenwar 2 looked extremely nice the detail just became to obstructive. You would end up having movement hindered in places. Cramped spots which affected maneuverability and I also seem to remember a couple of times where the ground was lowered to the extent that players at the top would have much more of an advantage. It had its moments but a lot of ideas I felt could have been executed a little better, however, I remember liking a couple of the maps for DM just not as many as the original had.

Has Liam ever apologized for saying that certain bots are so easy and weak that they could be defeated by "any autistic with one working hand for the mouse and an erect penis to jam into the keyboard"?

Greenwar2 is okay

It does not feel like Greenwar, though. As long as you play it without any expectations or reservations, just give it a shot. Don't expect anything too similar to the first wad. That's not a bad thing in my opinion