Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marcaek

MAYHEM1500: The Finishing

Thank you! Since a new thread page got created, a repeat of my previous post on the previous page:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mpm6dmxfwl7dy8j/MAYhem1500v1.zip?dl=1 (temporary link; to be rehosted)

With Marcaek's blessing, I went through the whole WAD and did extensive bugtesting and bugfixing for each level throughout most of May. Today (May 31, 2016 on my end), also with his blessing, I'm releasing v1 of this WAD. The version number is in case anything somehow broke horribly in the transition from pre-release to release, and thus needs fixing. All of Impie's intermission texts are in the WAD, albeit revised (mainly to fit them on the PrBoom+ screen). The text file also includes a list of all the music in the WAD, or at least all the music I can identify. If Impie can state where MAP06's MIDI is from, I can put it into the next version. Same with Obsidian and the MIDI for MAP31.

If there are no further problems discovered by the end of the week, I will upload this to idgames. :)

Enjoy!

Much appreciated, TGH. Here's hoping that this is the final Mayhem that is delayed to this degree, and good job all! etc. etc.

Hi there - had a quick check on this project and only noticed one issue. MAP22 has sector 198 have a ceiling height of 1280 when it should be 1152. This means a blue key door is open by default. Now, when I submitted the map, this sector was joined with sector 144 so that both doors opened at the same time, rather than using tagging like currently seems to be the case, so this has arisen as part of the quality control. Might be an idea to double check any other maps where something similar has been done.

Whoop! Just remembered that I found a rather hideous bug concerning my map a little while ago. Here's a bugfixed version.

Fixed with v1.25:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8qgj2uwa0h60slt/MAYhem1500v1-25.zip?dl=1

To everyone else working on a project today or in the future: Please please please don't wait until the day of release to report critical bugs like that. If you've found "a hideous bug" in a level during development, report it immediately! Don't let it slip from your mind! That goes double if you're the one who made the level to begin with!

Now I feel like I've disappointed my dad. :(

Which is quite a feat, seeing as I don't give two shits about my real one.

The coop teleport in MAP11 won't open properly. Tag 41 has either a wrong action assigned to it or the sector floor/ceiling height configuration is wrong ('door open' vs. 'floor lower').

RL can became inaccessible in MAP17 in coop because the lines that lower the pit from outside are W1 (tag 2). This doesn't break progression, but it can be considered an unwanted annoyance; unless it actually is an intentionally wanted annoyance ofc :)

I began preparation for the idgames release of this WAD today, by cutting out all unused textures, flats and patches to reduce filesize. In the process, however, I noticed a rather startling bug with the GOTHMASH texture resource. Namely, that there are two entirely separate ROCKRED* animation clusters in TEXTURE1, the second of which is the IWAD version, and the first of which is to allow DPORTAL* to be used as a custom animation. This makes no sense whatsoever here, because 1) this is a Boom project, which means the ANIMATED lump can be used to define animations, and 2) there is already an ANIMATED lump with custom animations defined! Why this was the one exception, I have no idea. The reason this is notable is because in the Eternity Engine, without this bug fixed, the portal did not animate at all! There were also two separate pairs of SW*BRIK textures, the first of which was to include OMETSW* as a custom switch—which, again, makes no sense in a Boom project because you can define it in SWITCHES, and makes no sense here in particular because there is already a SWITCHES lump in the WAD. I removed the OMETSW* one, though, as it was not used in any map, and the only level that used SW*BRIK (MAP33) used it only for special sound effects.

This newest release, v1.35, has the above changes as well as fixes to misaligned textures in MAP03, a fix to the exit portals of MAP04 and MAP31, and a fix to missing textures in MAP33. Check it out below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/emcivzaeonn5zgi/MAYhem1500v1-35.zip?dl=1

If there's nothing seriously wrong now, I will upload this to idgames by tomorrow.

In MAP07 line 1027 which is supposed to raise sector 30 above the ground doesn't raise the sector high enough in ZDaemon and players can get stuck in it.

This problem was already reported in the old thread but it wasn't discovered at the time that it's actually a bug in ZDaemon: https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1426433, https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1426153.

ZDaemon seems to be the only affected port but the player won't ever get to see the effect of the linedef action and it doesn't seem to be gameplay-affecting in any way so I think if the map authors agree it would be best to remove the action and change the sector to its intended height without the need for a line action to raise it.

This bug appears to be a consequence of ZDaemon including AASHITTY, i.e. no texture at all, in "shortest lower texture" checks just like the original DOS-era Doom engine did. This bug happens because the front sides of linedefs 1045-1047 and the back sides of linedefs 207, 481, 533 and 890 have no lower textures, and both sides are included in the checks even if one of them isn't inside a sector.

I've fixed this now, and the fix will appear in the next released version of this WAD. (Still waiting on more reports before I bring it out!)

I missed that ZDaemon has a compatibilty CVAR 'compat_shorttex' when we were looking into this, because I was looking at the 1.06 source, and did not think about looking at the current options in the config until now. So MAP07 can stay as it was, I set the CVAR on the servers to an appropriate value, and everything is fine.

I noticed something, and I'm not sure of the answer. If two different graphics have the same name, Doom uses the second one it finds in the wad. What about two different texture definitions of the same name in Texture1? SW1BRCOM and SW2BRCOM are defined twice in Texture1, the first instance using Mayhem textures, the second using the standard Doom textures. Which does Doom use, the first or the second? They're both brown, so it may not have been noticed in any map using the switch. There are other switches defined twice, but they're defined using the Mayhem textures in both cases.

In the case of Boom and the default IWAD switches, it seems the first one is used. The answer doesn't matter in this case either way, because no level in this WAD uses SW*BRCOM. However, it is yet another bug that could have been avoided had anybody done bugtesting for the resource pack before it was used.

Meanwhile, as of yesterday, MAYhem 1500 is on idgames and can be downloaded here:
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/mayhem15

Thanks to everyone who helped!

You're welcome! Following Tarnsman's partial livestream, here is an update, v1.38:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/msb1siekrcrrs6i/MAYhem1500v1-38.zip?dl=1

This fixes a few things that came up during the stream:

MAP01:

• The monster teleporters I implemented worked in PrBoom-plus... but not ZDoom, where a few monsters didn't teleport at all. This is no longer the case, as they now work in ZDoom as well.
  • The arrow that points to where you're meant to go now turns fullbright after you throw the relevant switch, and it's been made bigger as well thanks to spare lines. Memo to Walter Confalonieri: an arrow on the ground pointing to where you're meant to go doesn't work if it doesn't pop out in any way.
MAP04:
  • The blue key switch is no longer hidden on the automap. (It was hidden when I first saw the map, too.)
MAP07:
  • Fixed a monster teleporter that broke courtesy of a joined sector that mysteriously became unjoined because of a bug in GZDoom Builder. (This is a bug that I ran into a lot trying to work on this WAD thanks to GZDoom Builder's "updates", with this map being one of two cases I missed because I didn't know it was happening. It makes me want to use regular Doom Builder 2 instead.)
MAP09:
  • Fixed another case of the GZDoom Builder bug rearing its ugly head, when one of the platforms that's supposed to drop near the end as part of a joined sector mysteriously became unjoined, so when I made an edit to that area and raised the platform again, that part didn't rise back up as well. This left a hole where you could walk through without setting off any kind of trigger, creating potential confusion. (Naturally, this wasn't reported at all at any point before I uploaded the WAD to idgames. Thanks, people.)
I will upload it to /idgames by the end of today. Fingers crossed that nothing absurd pops up again.

The Green Herring said:

You're welcome! Following Tarnsman's partial livestream, here is an update, v1.38:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/msb1siekrcrrs6i/MAYhem1500v1-38.zip?dl=1

This fixes a few things that came up during the stream:

MAP01:

• The monster teleporters I implemented worked in PrBoom-plus... but not ZDoom, where a few monsters didn't teleport at all. This is no longer the case, as they now work in ZDoom as well.
  • The arrow that points to where you're meant to go now turns fullbright after you throw the relevant switch, and it's been made bigger as well thanks to spare lines. Memo to Walter Confalonieri: an arrow on the ground pointing to where you're meant to go doesn't work if it doesn't pop out in any way.

Thanks for the fixing.... Also about that map, how i can reach the new secret room (the one with the mancubus turret)?

The Green Herring said:

MAP09:

• Fixed another case of the GZDoom Builder bug rearing its ugly head, when one of the platforms that's supposed to drop near the end as part of a joined sector mysteriously became unjoined, so when I made an edit to that area and raised the platform again, that part didn't rise back up as well. This left a hole where you could walk through without setting off any kind of trigger, creating potential confusion. (Naturally, this wasn't reported at all at any point before I uploaded the WAD to idgames. Thanks, people.)

I did only a quick check on the editor and everything seemed allright, I didn't think that something like that would happen as I use DB2. Sorry for the inconvenience.

gaspe said:

I did only a quick check on the editor and everything seemed allright, I didn't think that something like that would happen as I use DB2. Sorry for the inconvenience.

No problem; it was GZDoom Builder's fault entirely, not yours.

walter confalonieri said:

Thanks for the fixing.... Also about that map, how i can reach the new secret room (the one with the mancubus turret)?

Spoiler

There is a switch tucked in the corner of the crate room. Use it and a teleporter will open next to the chaingun pedestal. Enter it and you'll be warped to the secret room, telefragging the mancubus if he's still alive.

Sorry I was late getting back to your message, Green. I replied, though I guess it might be too late at this point. My map music is King's Court from Hexen 2, in case you see this before you check your inbox.

Incidentally, what's the track for map 11 from? It's pretty badass.

Impie said:

Sorry I was late getting back to your message, Green. I replied, though I guess it might be too late at this point. My map music is King's Court from Hexen 2, in case you see this before you check your inbox.

Not to worry—I wound up tracking down your original submission, which had a text file that credited the music. It's all good.

Incidentally, questions about what music is on which map can be found in the text file, as I added a music list before release. :)