Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

If you could not find the exit, IDDT on the automap will help you find its location faster and easier than just roaming around the map with IDCLIP. :)

I actually like using the single shotgun. There's something that feels good about zipping around a level with all the cool-looking "I know the level by heart now" movement typical of speedrunning, and practically holding down fire and getting a low-tier monster with every shot.

Piper Maru said:

I confess that I have the BFG 9000 binded to the right mouse click, it's kind of like a panic button.

That is a great idea.

Piper Maru said:

I confess that I have the BFG 9000 binded to the right mouse click, it's kind of like a panic button.

I tend to use Plasmagun as my panic weapon. I'm terrible at aiming BFG properly while panicking. Also, no warmup time.

Mauzki said:

I only recently learnt how to put doors down in doom builder.

Don't feel bad, I suck at Doom Builder too.

Mauzki said:

I only recently learnt how to put doors down in doom builder.

I only could get the doors to work where one side can open the door and the other side can't.

I think i'll post something here..

I never save valuable items for later, i always pick them up as soon as i can. Even if i have like 190/190 health/armor, i would still pick up a megasphere, no matter how impractical it is. I do this because if i save something for later, i usually forget about it completely. I also always pick up blur artifacts, green armors when i already have blue armor etc. just to get 100% items.

I still can't decide how should i call items with 2 names (supercharge / soul sphere; blur artifact / invisibility; light amp visor / nightvision googles; health bonus / health vial etc.)

I use shameful and heretical WASD instead of righteous and glorious arrow keys.

I like Evilution over Plutonia just because the former has some good new music, otherwise they kinda feel the same.

ChekaAgent said:

I still can't decide how should i call items with 2 names (supercharge / soul sphere; blur artifact / invisibility; light amp visor / nightvision googles; health bonus / health vial etc.)

I usually just call them by their in game names: Supercharge, Partial Invisibility, health bonus, etc. I always wondered where people got strange names like "blur artifact, armor shard" and so on from as they're never given these titles in game. Maybe they're from the manual?

Also maybe some people prefer arrow keys, but that shit would cramp my hand up fierce. Even if I'm using DosBox, WSDA+mouse every time. Gotta have the precision movement of a mouse, so glad Romero had the foresight to see that mouse support was a great feature even way back when.

ChekaAgent said:

I like Evilution over Plutonia just because the former has some good new music, otherwise they kinda feel the same.

My last Plutonia playthrough was with this. Some choices surprised me but overall it was great and I can't see myself playing Plutonia without it now.

Kira said:

My last Plutonia playthrough was with this. Some choices surprised me but overall it was great and I can't see myself playing Plutonia without it now.

I would have liked to see Plutonia use music from another game, like say Duke Nukem 3D, Heretic, or Hexen. The new music made for Plutonia sound cool, though.

Doom single player generally makes me motion sick. Any Doom gameplay that has a lot of stop-start stuff does it to me. The usual deathmatch maps are fluid, so I'm fine most of the time in those.

Map1 deathmatch is an exception to this, I don't get sick there, even though it has a lot of stopping and restarting. No idea why that one is fine.

BahdKo said:

Doom single player generally makes me motion sick.

I also get motion sickness while playing the vanilla levels of Doom. I am also unable to play Wolfenstein 3D because it makes me very very sick. Most vanilla style Doom PWADS do the same while on the other hand Boom and Zdoom formatted maps I have no issues with.

ChekaAgent said:

I use both. Heaven or Hell?

Doomkid said:

I always wondered where people got strange names like "blur artifact, armor shard" and so on from as they're never given these titles in game. Maybe they're from the manual?

Armor Shard is from Quake, and I think That's what Doom RPG called it, too, but I'm not sure... I say 'shard', too, just because I think it sounds cooler.

So what do you do with armor shards? Just duct tape them to your shirt as you go?

Doomkid said:

I usually just call them by their in game names: Supercharge, Partial Invisibility, health bonus, etc. I always wondered where people got strange names like "blur artifact, armor shard" and so on from as they're never given these titles in game. Maybe they're from the manual?

"Blur artifact" is from the manual. Armor bonus is called "Spiritual armor" there.

Armor shards debuted in Quake 2, IIRC. The first one doesn't have any small armor pickups.

40oz said:

So what do you do with armor shards? Just duct tape them to your shirt as you go?

... yes?

When I first started mapping back in like '09 or something, I always thought that I could put my brightness past 255. I'd dump values like 9999 and expect a completely blown out white room, similar to how 0 creates a black room.

Well, 256 brightness actually exists and it is brighter than 255. But most old editors don't know about it.

schmerr said:

That is a great idea.

i did something similar; i use WASD and BFG is Q - this is mainly because MOUSE2 is USE, and 7 is just too far away to hit soon enough!

I've never touched Doom 64.
I thought Doom 3 was a good enough game. (Definitely not a real DOOM game though).
I've never beaten Plutonium or TNT.

I don't think I've placed a single spectre in a map. Further, I can't recall any time where I was fighting one and thought "this monster being invisible is contributing positively to this gameplay."

my todo list:
1) finish phd thesis
1) find a meaningful non-annoying way to use spectres

Speed of Doom Map14 has a cool use of spectres. They are placed against a bright white wall in an otherwise pitch black room, so they are easy enough notice and they look really stylish there.

Ribbiks said:

I don't think I've placed a single spectre in a map.

Heh, I can only recall the 3 or 4 that are present on SWTW map 3 in the small section beneath the first turret cyberdemon and arachnotron.