Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HexenMapper

Hexen: a Morte [15 new maps - Released]

ion7swp.png

Worlds collide in this extensive Hexen mod
Berlin, 1945. Things are heating up and Inside an old church a cabal of Nosferati begin opening portals, looking for another realm to evacuate to. Unfortunately for them they come across an arachnid-infested mausoleum, where a hero awakens...

Trailer:

DOWNLOAD:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ftbl3pbscn04716/A+Morte_448.rar (.RAR)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/oxo4tubu6a8rj5y/A_Morte_448.zip (.ZIP)
Runs in GZDoom or Zdoom with the hexen.wad. GZDoom recommended.

Note this mod is made for seasoned Hexen players. It will be difficult on higher difficulty settings. Be prepared to actually use your items if you want to survive - even those discs of repulsion!

Features:

• 3 new hubs. 15 maps in total.
  • New Weapons: Revolver, MP40, MG42, Winchester, Recharging Apotheosis, Panzerfaust, and a Scoped Mosin Nagant.
  • Custom Monsters: 4 types of spider, Nosferati, MP 40 wielding Nosferati, Crocodiles, 3 Types of Wehrmacht soldier, Panzer IIIs,
    T-34/85s, 3 types of Cultists, faster and more powerful versions of normal Hexen enemies, 'Caleb' Winchester sniper complete with voice acting, Attack Dogs, and a few others who I wont spoil.
  • Custom Sound effects and Music for each level
  • Custom Textures, many from Blood, Outlaws and Realms of the Haunting. Some taken from real life images.
  • All Hexen weapons and items retained, mod is about the combination of traditional Hexen items and firearms.
  • Secrets
  • Full difficulty and class support, 4 player starts for co op play.
  • Swimmable deep water/lava/sewage
  • Fast paced gameplay, more emphasis on dangerous combats than puzzle solving, but still with some traditional hexen puzzles and the odd "what the hell did that switch do?" moment
  • Many scripted events and cross-map triggers, including a massive battle with ~20 tanks, buildings being destroyed, and multiple polyobject crushers with player-controlled timing.
  • Destroyable walls
  • Custom voice acting for Bosses and the player. Voice acting is much less frequent than Blood or Realms of the Haunting.
  • Tested on Zdoom and GZdoom with dynamic lights.
  • Realistic weapon magazine sizes and reload animations.
  • Enemies have to reload
  • Most maps designed to be wand-started for more challenging one-off missions
  • Although not set in WW2, each hub has access to WW2 technology through a map, allowing players to replenish ammunition at some stage during each hub.

Notes about Current Version:

Spoiler

• The mod is complete. Enjoy! I've played through the whole thing and everything works.
  • (Zipped) File size is 39MB.
  • You may need to set keys "5" and "6" to weapon slots 5 and 6 in your controls menu. Make sure you have a reload and altfire bound as well.
  • Weapons work underwater. This is intentional for gameplay reasons at the moment. I will consider making Firearms not work underwater.

Screenshots:

Gameplay:

Spoiler

The player starts in a mausoleum deep underground and must deal with a large spider infestation. Eventually coming across a nosferati (and a "strange carbine"), the player can then take a portal to 1945 Berlin, where a heated battle for control of the church commences. The player must search for a number of keys, each unlocking a new area of the hub, which eventually leads to an encounter with Den-Shial, a massive spider demon. Through the sewers, the player comes across more nosferati, and uses their portals to return to the mausoleum. Having fought through a cave system, and a house full of Wehrmacht, and having survived the Battle of Berlin, the player finally retrieves the fire key and is able to move on to the next hub, taking an elevator from the mausoleum, up to the surface.
Gameplay Test Videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ddfls1khbo

Weapon Layout:

Spoiler

• Slot 1: Primary class weapon (Fighter's Fists, Mace, Sapphire Wand)
  • Slot 2: Secondary class weapon, Revolver
  • Slot 3: Ternary class weapon, MP 40
  • Slot 4: Ultimate class weapon. MG 42
  • Slot 5: Panzerfaust, Apotheosis
  • Slot 6: Scoped Mosin Nagant, Winchester

Map Layout:

Spoiler

• MAP01 - Mausoleum. First hub. Mausoleum complex Full of spiders and wraiths. Connects to Maps 2,3,5 and 7
  • MAP02 - Berlin Church. Church full of nosferati. Connects to Berlin streets and map 4
  • MAP03 - Fetid Caverns. Cave system with spiders and nosfertai.
  • MAP04 - Battle of Berlin. A destroyed version of Berlin Church (and surrounding area) connects back to Map 1
  • MAP05 - Sewer Complex. 90% underwater sewer map full of crocodiles.
  • MAP06 - Molten Hope. Lava Map with erupting volcano. Connects to second hub
  • MAP07 - Chernogorsk. Second hub. Full of cultists. Some Caleb snipers in the surrounding areas. Connects to maps 6,8 and 9
  • MAP08 - Triptych Crypt. Claustrophobic crypt complex all in 3's and with many puzzles and crushers. Includes a nosferati area and connects to map 10
  • MAP09 - Westwood. Quaint western town, where things go horribly wrong.
  • MAP10 - Country House. Nosferati country house out of harms way in continental Europe. Lavish mansion with many nosferati, and some NKVD on the outskirts
  • MAP 11: Blinskaya Exclusion Zone - Third hub. Marshes full of radioactive tailings. Some bandits, and a group of "friendly" mercs
  • MAP 12: Southern Outpost - Outpost with a huge portal to WW2 Czechoslovakia, originally operated by nosferati, but overrun by soviet and NKDV forces
  • MAP 13: Enrichment Plant - Factory with many large buildings, some new enemies I wont spoil too much, and plenty of radiation.
  • MAP 14: Abandoned Mine - Maze of tunnels where an incident wiped out the original miners, and caused evacuation of the whole area.
  • MAP 15: Lower Mines - The very last map

About the Author:
I'm a trained composer and have been making maps in doom builder for a couple of years now. I've been learning as much as I can about ACS, DECORATE and SNDINFO, and playing a lot of retro FPS' to get some inspiration. I'm hoping to finish this project this year, Hopefully in the next 3 or 4 months.

Credits:
I have used a lot of elements from Realm667 and various sprite sheets I found online. Here is the current list of credits:
http://pastebin.com/H4J31mXB
Also used some textures from Zblood, the outlaws texture wad and the ROTHTEX.wad
Let me know if you don't want your elements in this mod, I'm happy to remove them.

Edited by HexenMapper

The Architect! Glad to see you on Doomworld, apart from WadsInProgress ;)

Will download and play this for sure - it looks tasty

Thanks Doomlover! I've been meaning to post this project here.

I've been working on the 3rd hub, which is very S.T.A.L.K.E.R. influenced. I have the dialog system fully working, with a few NPCs to talk to and a couple of missions. 3rd hub is going to be a total change of pace from the first 2. More exploration and dialog, and atmospheric dangers. Also a bunch of new and unusual enemies. I'm having a lot of fun designing the levels and writing dialog.

I've played through it a bit, reached the second map in the first hub and didn't continue much further.

Here are some problems I had with it:

• The levels (at least the first two) are largely made of identical-looking rooms, nothing really visually interesting.
  • Spiders are too fast and have too much health, they aren't fun to fight. When possible I just jumped on some furniture item to be out of their reach and then spammed the wand until they die, meh.
  • Texture choices are a bit strange.
  • There's some effort at making "realistic" details, like how the doors are open by pushing on polyobject buttons, but given the sparsity of the rest of the design, it doesn't really look good.
So basically I enjoyed neither the aesthetics nor the gameplay, and just stopped playing quite early. I suppose it's one of your first projects and you're learning as you go, so perhaps the first maps were also the first you've made. I'd advise you to just recreate the first map from scratch, trying to make it more varied and dynamic.

I am stuck after killing that giant demon spider (surprisingly easier than I expected). What now?

DoomLover you need to backtrack to the chamber where you killed the first large spider, and where you received the dungeon key. The door at the back of the chamber will be open, leading into the sewer complex.

Gez thanks for your playtesting and input, I definitely agree the first hub is a bit bland, Will see what I can do

I've just updated the download link. A few things added like a grenade throwing SS officer, and a lot of work done on the 2nd and 3rd hubs. 2nd hub is pretty much complete (warp to MAP07 to play), just need to do the boss fight.

Updated: First 2 hubs complete. 3rd Hub in the very late stages of completion, pretty much just 1 area to finish off.

I'm going to start looking at playtesting and balancing now, hope to get things ship shape for a final release!

Now have a functional build. Still some detail to add to the last map, but the entire mod is "complete", even the ending.

Next job is to do some playtesting and see how the balance is.

Mosin Nagant has had some issues too, currently cleaning it up but the weapon still works fine, just the deselect fails to deselect correctly. I also need to add monster kickback for all the custom weapons.

Updated: Third hub actually works like a hub now, nerfed some of the enemies there as well.
Added a few more goodies for the mage in the first hub, as well as more discs of reflection for all!

Also whipped up a trailer (in the OP) as well as finally completing the first map as mage in a playtest... its not easy work, you really feel like a mage, trying to use all your items to maximum capability. Discs of reflection are excellent for keeping spiders away.

After a complete play-through, I've updated a few minor things like texture alignments, and line blocking (to stop certain monsters falling in lava...)
Added some minor details and a few other fixes, but the mod is pretty solid, and completeable on the second-highest difficulty. Balance seems alright.

OP Link is updated.

I'll try to remember to download this this evening to give it another try.

Gez said:

I'll try to remember to download this this evening to give it another try.

I hope you can push past the first few maps, I've done a bit to balance the first section, but haven't redesigned the whole thing like you suggested. I've added some detail, but spiders are still fast and lethal, so expect to be using those discs of repulsion if you dont want to get hit! Mage in particular will need to do this, or find other ways to avoid the spiders.

wolfie3dfan said:

There are 20 foot crocs in this wad! oh, man, you about gave this broad a heart attack.

Thanks,
I love it so far.

Haha glad you're enjoying it. If you've made it to the sewer complex then you've done pretty well, the end of the first hub is within your reach!

15 hours ago, HexenMapper said:

Necro bump as I just replaced a few missing textures and updated the download link.

Link doesn't work

I hate to say it, but I couldn't even get past the first map. . . .after wandering around (and finding the breakable wall), I couldn't find a way to progress through or out of the mausoleum.

Update: I'm just dumb.

Edited by Cheshire Sphinx

21 hours ago, HexenMapper said:

Necro bump as I just replaced a few missing textures and updated the download link.

Id love to play this, the link is broken,

has anyone else got a dl link for this?

8 hours ago, Koros said:

Link doesn't work

2 hours ago, Jim Greezy said:

Id love to play this, the link is broken,

has anyone else got a dl link for this?

Whoops, Mediafire seems to be generating new insta-download links, voiding the old one... 

I just altered the DL link to take you to the right place

11 hours ago, HexenMapper said:

Whoops, Mediafire seems to be generating new insta-download links, voiding the old one... 

I just altered the DL link to take you to the right place

thanks bro.

Dying to play it

Can you upload it as a zip file instead of a rar? It's a pain to have to download/install an archiver for just one archive type.

Excited to try this out though. Been looking for a Hexen mod with modern weapons that's actually good, so I'm hoping this'll fit the bill.

3 minutes ago, Impie said:

Can you upload it as a zip file instead of a rar? It's a pain to have to download/install an archiver for just one archive type.

Excited to try this out though. Been looking for a Hexen mod with modern weapons that's actually good, so I'm hoping this'll fit the bill.

Here's the .zip:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/oxo4tubu6a8rj5y/A_Morte_448.zip

I'm hoping the wad author still checks this thread, because I can't for the life of me figure out how to defeat the even larger Den Shial at the end of the second hub (map 06). I've flown around and destroyed two up-high little rock formations, but can't seem to do anything else now, other than throw everything I have at the giant spider which doesn't seem to have any effect. What's the trick to this boss?

Your anachronous weapon's wo- Ah! there are 3 rock formations :)

Once you hit the 3rd, Den-Shial's lava power source will be cut off and you will be able to kill it with regular weapons.

Hope that helps! enjoy the rest of the mod.