Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
SavageCorona

Castle Cunt

After a very long time, I decided to finish this map that I lovingly called Castle Cunt. It's a Quake themed map with a castle section and a base section (based loosely on a section from Mirage on CS) connected with an outdoor area and cave. The map is fairly large and has a slaughter play style on UV, so if you prefer the atmospheric style, go for the easier modes. It uses a midi version of Parallel Dimensions from the Quake soundtrack by silentzorah on Youtube.

Overall it's a fairly difficult map that I designed with being a huge cunt in mind, hence the name. It goes to the point of such cuntness that you can't get 100% kills because the exit is an AV jump. Built with aiming and some jumping in mind, though not required to finish the level, only for minor secrets, in ZDoom Doom in Hexen format, tested on GZDoom and Zandronum but it should work fine on any ZDoom port.

Download
Also requires Quake 1 Textures from Afterglow

Screenshots

Spoiler

Nice screenshots (why didn't you even bother using PRTSCRN anyway?) from a wad with a politically incorrect name.
Ironic.

I have capture software that instantly uploads to Imgur, so until they make borderless window, it's going to look a tad ghetto.

Yes... Interesting name, but coming from our senior resident shitposter, I'd expect no less. Truly an inspiration to us all. Art!

I look forward to trying this when I get the time.

How about "Castle Twat"? That's also a common British insult/epithet.

Used ZDoom. Liked it. Very Quake-y. Went through it once on HMP for atmosphere, then UV on God mode to see how slaughtery it was (I hate slaughtermaps). OK. A couple of areas were fairly slaughtery. Lots of missing textures, all on slopes. Insides of the pew arms; inside of the stairs leading upstairs in the church; last Revenant bluff before the tunnel; edges of the room outside the Red Key door. Probably others I missed. On UV, three Imps and a Demon never teleported in. I'm guessing their teleport landing spots were occupied by other monsters in one of the slaughtery areas. And yes, you CAN get 100% kills. Have enough health/armor and leave yourself one rocket for a jump. Not complete cuntness after all. Nice.

Why give it such a crude name? You can't pretend you don't care when you put this much effort in making a stunning wad.

EffinghamHuffnagel said:

How about "Castle Twat"? That's also a common British insult/epithet.

Castle Cunt has alliteration and sounds better than any other alternative I can think of without changing the, err, gender of the castle? Castle Cock.

I approve this wad's name, it both makes it interesting (I wouldn't notice it otherwise) and tells something about it (at least about the author's attitude). I'm even playing the wad now!

I suppose this WAD is meant to be played by all the Aussies out there.

Dragonfly said:

Castle Cunt has alliteration and sounds better than any other alternative I can think of without changing the, err, gender of the castle? Castle Cock.

I agree (but not with Castle Cock). I'm fine with the name. I was just trying to point out that the calling someone a 'cunt' or 'twat' in the British Empire is similar to calling someone a 'dick' or 'asshole' in the USA (Castle Asshole. Say it fast and it rhymes).

Being British, I know what twat means. ;) Although it's more like calling someone a vagina.

Castle Arsehole, heh.

Not bad actually, though the lighting could've been done better, the game of shadows is the strong part of this texture set (as it is of Quake itself, naturally), the looks become notably less rich without it. I also felt that the techbase part was somewhat half-baked and rushed compared to the medieval section. Not that the latter is something mind-boggling in terms of execution, mind you, but it still looks more complete and natural. Sans the lighting issue, that is.

I also fail to see the point behind calling the gameplay slaughtery, to me it seemed rather typical and not hard at all. It's neither good nor bad thing (objectively at least), just felt that'd be an important note after otherwise misleading description in the OP.

Also gotta say that midi version of that track from Quake is cringeworthy.

Overall this map could be rather impressive should you decide to work on it further, like, adding more light/shadow contrast and making the techbase more elaborate (or expanding both parts for that matter). Your call of course, though it's safe to say say that otherwise it'd feel like a wasted potential, at least that's how I see it.

Testing it felt rather slaughtery, but I did tone it down a tad, since it became more of a chore when I had 3 PE's instead of the one in the first part and chaingunners instead of imps etc. I did try to do some lighting but it's just one of those things I forget about and sometimes the aesthetic suffers with bland lighting effects. I was also going for a dynamic lighting effect for the majority of my efforts put into lighting so playing in software or with dynamic lights turned off dampens the effect.

Overall I feel like this map is more of a demo of potential architecture styles. I'm rather proud of how the castle turned out, but no so much the base. The base is something I'll have to work on in terms of aesthetics and actually putting more time into.

EffinghamHuffnagel said:

Lots of missing textures, all on slopes.

Did you load it with q1tex.wad? I'm fairly sure there should be no issues with textures as long as you loaded it with the texture wad, unless there's something to do with the software engine I didn't accomodate for.

SavageCorona said:

Did you load it with q1tex.wad? I'm fairly sure there should be no issues with textures as long as you loaded it with the texture wad, unless there's something to do with the software engine I didn't accomodate for.

Yes, I did. I just tested in GZDoom. Here's the look from the church stairs. I popped the lights up so you could see.

By the looks of it you're using some other mod with it. Try it with no other mods. I only tested it for vanilla gameplay.

I'm not sure it would count as a gameplay mod. I use a custom palette with some replacement sprites and some 'fixed' textures; some from cc4, some I did. But here's roughly the same spot in vanilla gzdoom (version gzdoom-g2.2pre-1169-gddbb8d7 - dated 4/8/16)

To be very specific: from a DOS prompt in Windows 10 - gzdoom q1tex.wad castlec.wad

Edit: On the off-chance my versions of ZDoom and GZDoom were both glitchy (I grabbed them on the same day which means they were probably built off the same code) I downloaded the current dev version of GZDoom. Voila. No more errors. Problem solved. I guess I hadn't played a map with slopes since April or I would have noticed it before this. I had odd visual errors with a dev version of ZDoom once before. Damn, that's annoying. Sorry for the troubles.