Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fraggle

Chocolate Doom

vesperas said:

Hello,

Today I set the mouse speed to 20 in the setup program and this is what the mouse sensitivity slider looks like:

Is this a glitch?

Thanks

Well of course it's a glitch, but with Chocolate Doom it's an entirely intentional one. The slider in Vanilla wasn't designed to handle sensitivity speeds that high despite being able to set it as such in the config, and Chocolate Doom keeps/replicates that behaviour.

Probably. I heard that if the mouse sensitivity is set too high, vanilla doom would crash if you tried to access the options menu.

Something bizarre happened today while I was using Chocolate DooM with a custom wad. The screen on my laptop suddenly went black, and when the screen returned, everything was in the "native" DooM resolution of 320 x 240. Also, the screen orientation was changed from landscape to portrait.

I rebooted the computer and tried to restore the original resolution. But I was unable to use the options effectively, and was basically unable to restore the proper resolution. I am able to right-click on the desktop to bring up the Graphic Options menu to change the rotation. But I can't use the Graphic Properties menu to fix the resolution.

Now here's the weird part. When I connect my laptop to an external monitor, the orientation & resolution appear properly on my laptop screen as well as my monitor. As soon as I unplug my monitor, the resolution & orientation get messed up on my laptop screen.

Any ideas how to fix this? I have done Internet searches for this issue, but nothing comes up.

Danfun64 said:

What operating system are you using?

I'm sorry, I ought to have specified. Windows 7 Professional 64 bit OS with integrated graphics card, 4 GB RAM

EDIT: I managed to reset everything using the normal Windows dialogs and menus. Because I was working with such a low resolution on the screen, I was unable to navigate across a page that didn't have a scroll bar (e.g., the Control Panel\Appearance & Personalization\Display\Screen Resolution page). Somehow, though, I managed to use guesswork, and got it all set up.

Many thanks for trying to help me.

Glad it's sorted. This problem would not happen when sdl2-branch is finished, because sdl2-branch will not change your native resolution, so if choco crashes, you'll get your desktop as it was before you started it.

This may have already been asked, but is there a way to load soundfonts into Chocolate Doom? I'm on Windows 10 now, and apparently the way I used to use a soundfont for Chocolate Doom (using Timidity++ as a MIDI Mapper and then having it use my SoundBlaster AWE32 soundfont) will no longer work. I've tried configuring the timidity configuration path in Chocolate Doom, but I get sound and no music. I'm trying to use 1mgm.sf2.

Thanks.

Extract this to your crispy doom folder. Then edit one of the batch files so that it uses the right exe and soundfont.

I think it's awesome that chocodoom supports pc speaker sfx, but I'm having trouble getting it to work. On my winxp comp with chocodoom 221, I set the sfx to pc speaker in chocolate-doom-setup.exe but I just get silence in-game. Note that my comp doesn't have a sound card and the pc speaker sound effects in doom.exe work.

Well it's PC Speaker emulation so of course that isn't going to work.

TimeOfDeath said:

I think it's awesome that chocodoom supports pc speaker sfx, but I'm having trouble getting it to work. On my winxp comp with chocodoom 221, I set the sfx to pc speaker in chocolate-doom-setup.exe but I just get silence in-game. Note that my comp doesn't have a sound card and the pc speaker sound effects in doom.exe work.

What kind of computer are you running that can run Chocodoom and doesn't have an onboard sound card?

If that WinXP box without a sound card is able to run vanilla, is there any particular reason you're trying to get Chocolate to run with PC speaker (apart from for the funzies of it)?

I recall us discussing that PC's lack of a sound card several years ago.. is there something stopping you from getting a basic sound card?

Question for anyone here who knows: How is CD audio enabled in Chocolate Hexen? I don't see any instructions for it anywhere, other than this:

https://github.com/chocolate-doom/music-packs/blob/master/hexen-music.cfg

The gist that I get from that file is I'd have to rip the audio in .flac format from the CD and then put them in a folder called hexen-music in the Chocolate Hexen folder. Do I also have to put the hexen-music.cfg file in chocolate hexen's root directory?

Are these steps correct?

The music readme file in the Chocolate Hexen .zip file makes no mention of any of this, so I'd like someone to clarify that if possible.

The current release versions of Chocolate Hexen should support CD audio playback but I have no idea how well it works, if at all. The music substitutions system should make this more usable soon but there's no easy way to use this on Windows at the moment.

fraggle said:

The current release versions of Chocolate Hexen should support CD audio playback but I have no idea how well it works, if at all. The music substitutions system should make this more usable soon but there's no easy way to use this on Windows at the moment.

Music subsitutions system?

fraggle said:

https://www.chocolate-doom.org/wiki/index.php/Digital_music_packs

The configs you linked to are for configuring this feature. You can't use it on Windows yet.

So, essentially what you're saying is that the music substitution system will be available for Windows soon? What do you consider "soon"? No rush, or anything. Just curious.

Also, when it is finally ready for Windows, can you please include a help file for that feature? Chocolate Hexen doesn't have one in its zip files.

It will be in the v3 release currently under development (the SDL2 port). The code is already present but some extra libraries are needed in order to decode Ogg and FLAC files.

As you are probably aware, we are working hard to hopefully bring out Chocolate Doom V3 in the near future. This is the completion of work to port Chocolate Doom from SDL1 to SDL2.

I've spent a bit of time trying to update the MSVC project for building on Windows and in doing so I've made a dev build of the current state of sdl2-branch. I've put it here for anyone interested in trying it out

https://jmtd.net/tmp/chocolate-doom-sdl2-branch-win32-dbg.zip

This corresponds to this commit.

(I haven't pushed fixes to the MSVC project yet, it needs some updating to get it to work)

If you are a windows user please feel free to try it out and let us know what you think.

Hey everyone,

Recently I have been trying to properly learn programming, and I figured it was about time to jump into trying to mess with the source code of another program. I personally learn better by getting stuck in and trying things. And what better place to start then the Doom engine, a codebase that has been ported to almost everything, even pianos!

I wanted to start simple so I went for Chocolate Doom. The wiki page for building on Windows suggest using Cygwin which I also saw mentioned in a number of other places when looking where to start with compiling source code. I followed the instructions given but it looks like I'm having issues with getting SDL to compile. Given that this is my first ever attempt at compiling source code, I am completely at a loss as of what to do and how to fix it, and unfortunately don't really understand why things are going wrong. I get this error:

configure: error:
*** Your compiler (gcc) does not produce Win32 executables!
Googling the issue, funnily enough, has one of the top results bring me to a thread on the Chocolate Doom github where there was no real solution.

A further googling leads me to the SDL wiki which says "As of SDL 2.0.3, the codebase still compiles on Cygwin and MingW32, but we expect these to stop working in the future."

So is using Cygwin a bust? That page seems to suggest that I should strongly consider using Visual Studio? I know Linguica made a guide here and I'll try that next, but it will have to be tomorrow as it's getting late now. After spending such a long time researching and getting Cygwin set up I feel like I've made no progress and wasn't sure if maybe I was just missing something obvious?

You might all be rolling your eyes at my total cluelessness but I don't know where else to begin. I just feel a bit lost. Any advice? Did I just get caught up in a transitional period of SDL dropping support for older versions? Am I better looking at compiling some other source code while Chocolate undergoes its transition to SDL 2?

You've become caught up between the wiki text rotting, the SDL 1->2 transition, toolchain transitions with Windows, and Chocolate Doom's official build system just being much more Unix-oriented.

For a beginner programmer trying to hack Chocolate Doom on Windows, it might be easiest to go the Visual Studio route with Linguica's tutorial. As far as I know, this probably only really works on the master branch, I've heard there's issues with the VS build on sdl2-branch. Even then, since it's not an official build system, the VS system has been known to fall out of date without anyone noticing too. Just a warning.

If the Visual Studio route doesn't pan out either... I might even recommend downloading and installing Ubuntu 16.04 on a spare computer or virtual machine. It'd provide an environment that Chocolate Doom's build is much more tailored for.

The good news is that Linguica's guide worked perfectly. Hooray! I've successfully compiled my first source!

Melon said:

The good news is that Linguica's guide worked perfectly. Hooray! I've successfully compiled my first source!

Don't feel bad, as an experienced programmer i also failed to get the Cygwin instructions working. They need serious work. Despite never having used Visual Studio before, I got that up and running too pretty fast.

I started working on fixing the project files up for Visual Studio 2015 and sdl2-branch, my work in progress is here

https://github.com/jmtd/chocolate-doom/tree/sdl2-msvc-2015

I plan to tidy that up and ask someone else to run through it and make sure it makes sense.

Someone has drafted some improved Visual Studio instructions for the sdl2-branch, too:

https://www.chocolate-doom.org/wiki/index.php/User:DimensionalShambler/Building_Chocolate_Doom_on_Windows_(alternative_build)V3

I think we might be able to simplify things even further if we can get our heads around NuGet and set up the VS project to use that to automatically fetch the dependencies.

Finally I think we can then get something like visualstudio.com to rebuild chocolate doom for windows on every commit using the visual studio project. I got a basic thing up there already but it needs the dependencies solving (probably via NuGet)

Good luck learning and hacking!