Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mattfrie1

Nintendo is releasing a new mini NES console

Jon said:

I wonder if the controller is an accurate reproduction of the original. The port looks kinda the same, to my untrained eyes.

The NES Mini controller ports are the same as the Classic Controller/Nunchuck port on a Wiimote. It would be cool if they used the same ports as the original NES but oh well, nothing to lose sleep over.

MetroidJunkie said:

Nintendo really overestimates the value of their own games, in my opinion. When you can buy an Xbox 360 era game from Steam for the same price as Nintendo charges for a NES game, something's off here.

Except that it comes with 30 NES games, which is basically $2 a game here, which doesn't sound too bad to me but otherwise understand your case in point. I just wish the thing could handle ordinary NES carts instead of just being stuck with the 30 it came with (especially taking something like Castlevania II over Contra...bleh). Part of me wouldn't mind getting one myself because it's small and would be fun to take in a working environment during lunch breaks or something but another part of me would rather just get the original NES with a full library at my disposal. The latter option might be inconvenient for people who'd just like some of their old favorites back like Mario Bros. and such and would rather buy something available in local stores instead of going through the trouble of finding an old working console on craigslist/eBay/etc...

I bought a NES top-loader around two months ago and still have a bunch of games from back in the day. These pre-loaded consoles are junk. I had the Atari POS, played it once and sold that barely functioning piece of crap at the flea market.

Can't wait for it to be resold on Ebay for double it's original price, just like everything else Nintendo has released on last few years that's not called Wii U.

Voros said:

BTW, how much does a regular NES system cost now, including handpicked game cartridges?

You could get an NES, one controller, Link and Contra for about $80. ...six years ago.

soulweeper said:

It would be cool if they used the same ports as the original NES but u well, nothing to lose sleep over.

The classic NES controller caused me many sleepless nights as a kid. Not just that it was hard to put down, but also because blisters hurt. The NES controller is as iconic as sin. I'd love to see them replicate it to a T.

MetroidJunkie said:

Mostly because of the collector's value.

Which is why I'm actually considering buying :)

What I appreciate about this: the cuteness of the case, the "authenticity" of the NES controllers being unchanged down to the connector port (so you can reuse your old controllers), the fact that this is officially Nintendo branded and sanctioned.

What I dislike: limited to just those 30 games, $60 price tag, the fact that a Raspberry Pi can do more for a fraction of the price, feels a bit like a cash grab, it's a shame Nintendo are making this instead of producing something more original when they've been milking the whole retro thing for years now.

I'm really kind of amazed they didn't go to the minimal effort of adding WiFi so they can sell you more NES games beyond the bundled 30. Seems like a no-brainer.

fraggle said:

I'm really kind of amazed they didn't go to the minimal effort of adding WiFi so they can sell you more NES games beyond the bundled 30. Seems like a no-brainer.

Very true. I was expecting that when I first learned this was even a thing only to see that they had absolutely zero intentions on letting people expand the library. I do wonnder if its to keep the licensing issues down to none and make some quick cash on a handful of fan favs? But even then, you can get more in the eshop than what they give you for $60 here. Kinda weird but I suspect this to be more of a collector's thing more than anything else (or.. a cash grab :( )

I've heard speculation that it could just be a Wii with the typical Virtual Console emulator. Beyond licensing issues, that could easily limit the type of games that could run on it. (I find it more plausible that they'll use a new NES-on-a-chip)

Overall though, I'm pretty fine with the $60 price tag and the concept in general. It provides a pretty good, and legal, introduction to the NES library. Even if it comes with the output (lack of) quality that Virtual Console has, that's not really a dealbreaker.

fraggle said:

What I appreciate about this: the cuteness of the case, the "authenticity" of the NES controllers being unchanged down to the connector port (so you can reuse your old controllers)

Alas it appears that isn't right, according to soulsweeper it's using (another) proprietary port from the Wii.

Aw, that sucks. I knew I recognized the port but I mistook it for the one from the original console.

Doomkid said:

It's like the world's most boring multicart, but it's authentic

The bootleggers had me covered on this device (except a better version) like 10 years ago but it's still a nice nod to the ol' classics.

EDIT: Holy fuckballs, they want $80 AU for this thing? Good joke

Nintendo is out of Context they want Cash Bro.

I wonder if this means we can take the NES controller and plug it into a wii-mote to use as a controller on the Wii virtual console? I would love this because I hate using the wii-mote for emulation. It does NOT feel right at all.

Vulture said:

I wonder if this means we can take the NES controller and plug it into a wii-mote to use as a controller on the Wii virtual console? I would love this because I hate using the wii-mote for emulation. It does NOT feel right at all.

I guess the Wii classic controller doesn't work for you?

Vulture said:

That is their exact intention, yes.

http://www.nintendo.com/nes-classic">

The included NES Classic Controller can also be used with NES Virtual Console games on your Wiiâ„¢ or Wii Uâ„¢ console by connecting it to a Wii Remoteâ„¢ controller.

So this is a miniature version of the NES, with only 30 games and a high price, no thanks, i prefer emulators rather than having a 80+Euro mini-console.
Besides Nintendo has an anti-emulator policy that is awful and sucks, unlike Sega who doesn't mind emulators and allows for sharing rom hacks through Steam.
In conclusion, Sega does what Nintendon't.

Sega has licensed new versions of its Mega Drive/Genesis console to compete with the upcoming NES Classic Edition from Nintendo, meaning only one thing: The console wars have gone retro.

Wonderful. Now we get to bitch at eachother all over again :P

Actually, I have one of those little MD boxes. I got it for £15 about 6 years ago purely because I wanted the 6-button pads. Turns out they don't even have the MODE button and the sound reproduction is absolutley gopping.

Wait, does Nintendo no longer own Sega? When did that happen? Did they ever own Sega? For some reason I've been under that impression for at least 10 years now.. EDIT: Nope, sure enough. Some idiot friend must have told me that when I was like 14 and I just never thought about it again.

Also, those mini-Genesis consoles really do blow hard, I got one and as scalliano mentioned, the sound is not only terrible and nothing like a real Genesis, but the output is very "jumpy" - If too much white is present on the screen, you get jittering. It's hard to describe, but it really sucks ass.

I'm pretty sure if Nintendo owned Sega at any point, they wouldn't have been as aggressively multiplatform as they are. You're probably thinking of that brief exclusivity deal they did with Nintendo a while back.