Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Burktross

Hives and Minds (Another Aliens Wad) [Alpha 5]

This project has been my baby for the last week or so. What started off as my first decorate script ever has turned into something I think is worthy of uploading publicly. So I present to you: Hives and Minds - Another Aliens Wad.

I've included two levels in this so far, not counting the Debug area.

The focus for singleplayer / coop is a highly replayable and challenging survival horror. Aliens bob and weave when getting shot, making short controlled bursts a necessity, lest you be caught reloading. Ammo conservation is also a necessary skill, as ammo placement is randomized on map loading, as with all other items, including bandage rolls, stim injectors, and audio cassettes (for saving your game). No two playthroughs are the same.

But this is more of a training exercise. My real intentions are to make HM into a Left 4 Dead versus styled gamemode, with a squad of 4 Marines attempting to reach and objective, and hordes of disposable aliens trying to stop them. I want to make it class based, with Marines choosing their loadouts at the start of the game, and Aliens having to wait for and score evolution points as the game progresses.

====Alpha 5====(Zandronum 3, Doom 2 Base)
https://www.mediafire.com/?f7mampw18xdwvw1
https://mega.nz/#!M1ADUDJJ!3j4oFr9BTeK0zOzDlUGVGwt-vFjAyu7fE2sFbU_ypM4

Added dynamic xenomorph spawning and a third level.

====Alpha 4 (Initial 2 level release)==== [Tested with Zandronum 3 beta, should be Zdoom compatible]
https://mega.nz/#!04IVlBhJ!30psVPqBLWLg9wniI1Xgqq-AD-09B8GDpiAACTdioqc
http://www.mediafire.com/download/2gw8sn2cbjo3s1e/Hives_and_Minds_%28Alpha_4%29.zip

Features:
-Randomly generated map spawns
-Medical bandages take time to apply and give you between 15 and 30 health [Slot 1]
-Stim Syringes are inventory items which can heal you instantly, but only for 15 health
-The M41A Pulse Rifle is currently the only weapon present. 99 round magazines. Reloading scraps the current mag,
-Three alien types: Hunter, Facehugger, and Egg
-Hunters run faster, jump, and strafe to dodge when under fire
-Facehuggers jump up as expected
-Eggs have a random chance of being mature enough to hatch, and when mature, hatch randomly when they have a visual of you
-Huggers and Hunters make rudimentary tracking noises
-All aliens bleed acid when shot and killed. These pools damage your health if you're hit or step in them, but burn through the floor soon enough to make the area safe.
-A Tape Recorder allows you to use audio cassettes to save your game. Find more tapes by exploring the maps [Slot 0]

Big thanks to CC4 and Justin Fisher for many assets!

Be advised, the wad is brutally difficult. I cannot emphasize enough: Check corners and control your fire-- this isn't just a nod to Aliens, this is your only chance for survival!

This looks pretty fucking sweet. Not sure if I'm going to play it, though, that screen bob makes me want to barf.

Lo_Mein said:

This looks pretty fucking sweet. Not sure if I'm going to play it, though, that screen bob makes me want to barf.

Thanks, but you'll be glad to know that headbob is a clientside variable in Zandronum and Zdoom!
Type "movebob 0.125" in console to halve it.

Im a HUGE avp fan, so I will most definitely be checking this one out. Thanks for sharing.

*edit*

Im having an issue trying to load this with Zandronum 3.0 [dev build]

Spoiler

*edit 2*
Nevermind, I extracted the files from the zip and loaded them that way and it worked. Im just so used to dragging zipped files to launch mods. And now back to giving this a shot.

By the way, your mega.nz link stops at 99% every time... Just thought you should know.

Burktross said:

Thanks, but you'll be glad to know that headbob is a clientside variable in Zandronum and Zdoom!
Type "movebob 0.125" in console to halve it.

Whoa! Thanks, sorry for being ignorant to that option, I never noticed it. Definitely going to give this a shot. Adore Alien. (Haven't seen Aliens, which is probably a sin but I'm definitely going to.)

Jimp Argon said:

By the way, your mega.nz link stops at 99% every time... Just thought you should know.

Spoiler

http://i.imgur.com/MUhYRvn.png

That's odd. Maybe its your browser? Mega is really finicky.

Lo_Mein said:

Whoa! Thanks, sorry for being ignorant to that option, I never noticed it. Definitely going to give this a shot. Adore Alien. (Haven't seen Aliens, which is probably a sin but I'm definitely going to.)

No problem mate, glad I could help.