Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Doom 2016 already marked down to $40 on Amazon

Sig said:

Got it for $40 at launch from a special site.

Yeah, I preordered it from cdkeys.com for $34 or whatever it was. Thanks gray market!

Okay so first I'm going to say
this is my first post on the forums so I don't know if it's bad to reply to posts so quickly or something but hi, I would like to say my piece

Doom (2016) met my expectations, in fact I've replayed it about twice already and I don't see how it would have the price lowered already, I mean, I guess I should have seen it coming because of how the multiplayer and snap map don't really make much sense to me. (That's probably just me) I guess I can say the CAMPAIGN met my expectations but my expectations for SnapMap were VERY high, like seriously I was expecting some Doom Builder level shit.

KairoDude said:

Doom (2016) met my expectations, in fact I've replayed it about twice already and I don't see how it would have the price lowered already, I mean, I guess I should have seen it coming because of how the multiplayer and snap map don't really make much sense to me. (That's probably just me) I guess I can say the CAMPAIGN met my expectations but my expectations for SnapMap were VERY high, like seriously I was expecting some Doom Builder level shit.

Snapmap was never going to be, and never could be, Doom Builder. In fact nothing can be "like Doom Builder" anymore, as map data no longer works like that. You need a complete mesh editor nowadays to get anything out of modern map design which requires a lot of time and dedication short of making a couple of box rooms (assuming you can even get that far, yes it is that much harder).
Hence why Snapmap is what it is. It's the most economical and approachable way to make anything resembling custom maps and gamemodes without having to learn modelling and dedicate half a year to creating one single small-ish map. Plus its design allows the maps to be small enough to store and distribute between all 3 platforms and pretty much anybodies internet connection.

Basically, if you want an idea on how editing for Doom4 would ever work, pull open idStudio for RAGE, or even Doom3's editor. There is no conventional way to simplify that to classic Doom's 2D line editing, and not a lot (almost nobody) has time for that nowadays.

I'm having a hard enough time as it is making a simple deathmatch map for a game released in 1998 (yes, also using static meshes), and while I might not that much of a mapper, there are certainly people with less time than I have to work on such a thing or even experience. They wouldn't cope at all, and there would be almost nobody doing any map content with Doom4 at all.

I think Snapmap's biggest issue is how it's initially limited to room-hallway-room level design, which is like the most boring thing ever usually. Making a prop-based map like the Q3DM17 or Slough of Dispair remakes tends to have far better results in terms of unique layouts, and I'd like the mode to pursue and refine that as a form of "advanced" level of design. Or at least give you more options to connect rooms than just hallways and doors.

Is there any info about how many USD per Steam key they got from the Asus bundle (videocard/mainbard -> free Doom key)?

I think this special offer increased the player base enormously. On the other side it stopped several fans from buying. I almost bought the Collectors edition when it was on sale for ~55 USD but didn't do so because I got the game for free anyway with my new mainboard.

DooM_RO said:

It should have been more like the Creation kit.

May I ask what the construction kit is? I'm sorry I don't know much about missing Doom and making WADs

KairoDude said:

May I ask what the construction kit is? I'm sorry I don't know much about missing Doom and making WADs

The editing toolkit for Skyrim.

Ohh okay sorry I thought it was a Doom thing I thought I saw something like that for Doom 3 but can I ask a question? I have one but I can't find a thread on it and I don't want to post one that already exists and make some admins angry

KairoDude said:

Ohh okay sorry I thought it was a Doom thing I thought I saw something like that for Doom 3 but can I ask a question? I have one but I can't find a thread on it and I don't want to post one that already exists and make some admins angry

Ask it.