Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Doom 3: Phobos

hardcore_gamer said:

While I do think their mod looks really cool, aren't they just a little too late? I think almost everyone has lost interest in Doom 3 by this point.

People have been saying that ever since HL2 came out and they wouldn't be wrong. I can't speak for the others, but at this point it's pretty much all about the product and the process of making it. I'd love for lots of people to play it, sure, but I'm more into learning from this process. We don't have a budget, we're not selling a product, but I personally am gearing up in various skills so that the thing that comes after Phobos *could* be on a budget, not be free etc.

That said I'm fairly sure the mod will speak for itself when it comes out and attract some players over the years. It is pretty damn good.

I'm still interested with playing this mod. For me new maps are more fun than another graphic updates mods. I'm also very interested with some other old fps games mods for first F.E.A.R. and Far Cry.

I've been looking forward for this mod ever since i found out about it, and never lost interest on it. I don't think that there are many mod's for doom 3 that reach the scale of the mod. Also i wish i had a bigger resolution of the blue wallpaper that used to be on the website some years ago.

I hope it's close to be finished, because it sure has been a long wait ;)

I'm also very eager to play it, the work invested in this campaign seems to be outstanding.

And about the popularity of the base game, I guess that the team behind this mod see it as a work of love, and that the endeavor invested in it is absolutely worth it.

I Feel like the longer this mod takes to be released, The more people will lose interest in it, Personally i heard about it two years ago and lost interest quickly since then, Probably because there aren't very much news about the project, Like new screenshots or videos ... etc

I Think those would bring more attention to the mod .

Piper Maru said:

Do you guys think we'll see Phobos released by the end of this year or sometime in 2017?

I can't tell. Not much is said about this mod.
If we knew the current progress, then maybe we could think of a possible release date.

Unfortunately, I think it won't be released in 2017. Or 2018.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

I Feel like the longer this mod takes to be released, The more people will lose interest in it

I dunno mang. Black Mesa (Source) was popular and well-received despite a very long development time and lots of "is this mod dead?" talk.

rileymartin said:

I dunno mang. Black Mesa (Source) was popular and well-received despite a very long development time and lots of "is this mod dead?" talk.

It feels dead to me, Multiplayer is basically gone and workshop barely receives good content .

I certainly have not lost excitement for a good Doom 3 mod, one that would stand up against the official content. It would be nice to have any sort of projected deadline however, when enough will be called enough, since if there never is one, you could literally go on forever tweaking and adding things and it'll never get done. Commercial projects have to "call it done" at some point and usually that's with a lot of things in place that members of the team still wish could be improved upon. Mods are not any different in this respect from my POV.

Caffeine Freak said:

Unless you hear anything about the projected release date from geX, Shaviro or myself.

Which we haven't, for years.

At least nothing big was announced for years.

This mod better breath fresh life into Doom 3 a game more than a decade years old and barely anyone plays.

I know Doom is even older, but it has a slight advantage: its active in both singleplayer and multiplayer. Its modding community is extremely active.

Doom 3's multiplayer is dead, let's face it. Its campaign isn't as fun to play again once you finish it.
And mods for it usually aren't something new/creative/innovative/satisfying.

Some changes to the gameplay wouldn't hurt, Most thing i hated in Doom 3 was the fact that Flashlight wasn't like the one from BFG Edition, I Also think it would be nice to bring some new ideas to Multiplayer to make "Fun again" after MCS Mod failed to do so, That mod also was in development for a long time and after it was released not many people cared about it because it felt like a Sikkmod ripoff with slight (and not satisfying) gameplay changes .

Why is the age, popularity and community activeness of Doom 3 and time of development of this mod so often mentioned? what's the reason? Is there a demand or something?

I guess we are all aware of those facts, but I don't know what's the point of pointing it here and to the developers. Again, what is expected out of the reiterations of those remarks?

Because
1-not many people play it actively
2-not much replayability
3-hard to deliver a new experience to gamers

Its fading away. Doom 3 Phobos MIGHT bring it back, but for a short time most likely. Like how Brutal Doom made an impact on society, how InstaDoom became a huge hit,(H-Doom might do something too i. The future). they made Doom feel something else other than what it is.

Doom 3 has mostly been corridors and darkness. With variations. Not much has changed.

Voros said:

Because
1-not many people play it actively

Yes, I know, but you just said it again.

What I want to know is why that fact has been brought up in here more than once, is there something that's being implied by the reiteration of that sad but fair observation?

It's seems that Team Future already acknowledged this and does not care too much about it.

Arl said:

Is there something that's being implied by the reiteration of that sad but fair observation?

That maybe Team Future could be beating a dead horse now. I mean sure, back around 2005 would be understandable and exciting. But now? It just doesnt feel like it'll make that big of an impact, seeing as there are many FPS games out there that have more advanced stuff.

Voros said:

That maybe Team Future could be beating a dead horse now. I mean sure, back around 2005 would be understandable and exciting. But now? It just doesnt feel like it'll make that big of an impact, seeing as there are many FPS games out there that have more advanced stuff.

As I said before, they seem to acknowledge that, and as far as I know they never say this will make a hell of an impact.

In any case, what should they do? cease development on the mod? Shaviro already stated in the previous page that they are making this mod regardless of the popularity of the game and the time this mod has been in development, like any modification this is a work of love, so I guess the "long developing time + Doom 3 lacking an active community" lines are pointless now.

I still hold my opinion that Doom 3 needs a renaissance of its editing tools and resources to be a good alternative to Doom 1 and 2 (dunno yet about 4). Right now for example I'm pretty intimidated by the 3D model part of a level that I'd have to build with some tool like Blender or proprietary 3DStudio. A new editor ideally would have the brush and 3D model drawing in one. There are also many garbage blank textures (materials) which need cleanup, or ones that don't do such things as casting shadows. I guess there are also other stuff I haven't encountered yet, such as manual vis portals, which may be somehow automated/simplified...

I think Doom 1 and 2 went through such a revolution, when Doom Builder was released. Free and much simpler to use.

printz said:

I still hold my opinion that Doom 3 needs a renaissance of its editing tools and resources to be a good alternative to Doom 1 and 2 (dunno yet about 4). Right now for example I'm pretty intimidated by the 3D model part of a level that I'd have to build with some tool like Blender or proprietary 3DStudio. A new editor ideally would have the brush and 3D model drawing in one. There are also many garbage blank textures (materials) which need cleanup, or ones that don't do such things as casting shadows. I guess there are also other stuff I haven't encountered yet, such as manual vis portals, which may be somehow automated/simplified...

I think Doom 1 and 2 went through such a revolution, when Doom Builder was released. Free and much simpler to use.

A kind of SnapMap for id Tech 4 would be a fun project, I maintain. Could make it way better than the actual SnapMap too, by allowing import of arbitrary templates (created in the full id studio or elsewhere), or by loading up existing maps as a starting point to modify or make additions.

Quasar said:

A kind of SnapMap for id Tech 4 would be a fun project, I maintain. Could make it way better than the actual SnapMap too, by allowing import of arbitrary templates (created in the full id studio or elsewhere), or by loading up existing maps as a starting point to modify or make additions.

This would be pretty fun to use, I guess it might even help refresh Doom 3 mapping community at some point .

I remember there was another big Doom 3 mod that was in development, I think it was called Recall To Hell. I think it was canceled many moons ago, but I remember it looked pretty impressive. The screen shots were downright jaw dropping with grotesque, and outright horrifying creatures. If I remember correctly, they were even using the the so-called 'Birdman' that didn't make the final game. Heck, I remember lots of Doom 3 projects that just kind of dropped off the face of the planet for whatever reasons, but Phobos continues to march on. Wishing the developers the best of luck.

Piper Maru said:

I remember there was another big Doom 3 mod that was in development, I think it was called Recall To Hell. I think it was canceled many moons ago, but I remember it looked pretty impressive. The screen shots were downright jaw dropping with grotesque, and outright horrifying creatures. If I remember correctly, they were even using the the so-called 'Birdman' that didn't make the final game. Heck, I remember lots of Doom 3 projects that just kind of dropped off the face of the planet for whatever reasons

Yea I remember that mod.

The biggest problem with all these grand Doom 3 mods is that creating anything for a modern game like Doom 3 is so insanely time consuming and so much work that almost nobody can actually be bothered to finish doing it. A decent Doom 2 level can be made in a day. A decent Doom 3 level might not be done in even a month, even assuming the level designer has plenty of free time each day. It's just too much work. I remember making a few levels for Doom 3 and they took forever to make, and weren't even that good.

Your levels were fine (still quite professional looking, like nearly all custom Doom 3 levels I've played, interestingly enough, despite the complexity, unlike your first few Doom 2 maps), and some even funny (as in humorous, such as the emails sent by doctor Betruger to his employees). That's the charm of Doom 3 and similar games.

I suppose that when you're just a student, especially if introverted, you really have full time to do professional-looking maps. Maybe I should stay unemployed for a few months and see what wonders I can do. Last time I took a vacation without travelling I heavily implemented portals into Eternity. Sorry for the off-topic.

printz said:

Your levels were fine (still quite professional looking, like nearly all custom Doom 3 levels I've played, interestingly enough, despite the complexity, unlike your first few Doom 2 maps)

Yea lol I still remember the very fist wad I uploaded to idgames. It wasn't...uhm...very well liked. And yet I still thought it was awesome at the time simply because it was my first level pack. At the time merely throwing shitloads of zombies into a maze felt awesome to me -_-

Keep up the great work, this mod should reincarnate Doom 3 for some time.
I still think with everything maxed out D3 looks amazing to this date.
With proper demon placement and trent reznors sound Doom 3 is still pretty dam cool. I often go back into the campaign adding all kinds of monsters, mostly zombies, and playthrough it that way. If there was a way to spawn random demon encounters non stop with coop support people would play this again IMO.