Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

Your favorite movie badass

Let's get a concensus on what makes a character a badass by dissecting our favorites and see how many similarities we can come up with.

I'll start with Snake Plissken (Escape From New York, Escape from L.A, and definitely not the inspiration for any character in the metal gear series)

Personality: Almost completely self serving. Incredibly bold. Lack of care for seemingly anything outside of his own survival.

Attire: Camo pants, combat boots, leather jacket, eyepatch.

Weapon(s) of choice: Any firearms or explosives.

Fighting styles: Karate, Taekwondo, Shaolin Kung-Fu, Kenpo, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Krav maga and Jeet Kune Do.

Other information: Former Special Forces Lieutenant turned criminal gunfighter. Speaks in an assertive, raspy voice. Heavy smoker. Doesn't give a fuck about your war or your president.

The eye patch shows that he has been through some rough shit, yet his ability to still take down his foes with ease shows that that hasn't slowed him down at all. His overall "I don't give a fuck" outlook plays to his benefit on the battlefield as he isn't hindered by things like feelings or fear. Simply put, he will put a bullet in your head, light a cigarette, and never give it a second thought.

Edited by Guest

Ellen Ripley, no contest. Competent, professional, and level-headed. All along she knows exactly the right response to the creatures she faces: nuke the site from orbit. Everyone else ignores her and pays the price. She defined the "strong female character" archetype before it became an uncomplex cliche.

Ash Williams, Evil Dead. I can't seem to think of anyone else like him...

The Driver from Drive (2011).

The definition of an emotionless loner who is a badass.

Also has a cool jacket.

Chev Chelios from Crank is my pick. Really entertaining no-nonsense movie badass, also really funny.

I admit Snake Plissken is the first character that popped in my head though, just rewatched those a few weeks ago. Though Jack Burton is great too, it's all in the reflexes. And agreed John Matrix is a legend! (I've even enjoyed the Commando 2 script!)

And I'm a fan of Ash and everybody else mentioned so far, groovy!

dethtoll said:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/51/d5/c4/51d5c400496bfa693ee7d753745a91b0.jpg

Ellen Ripley, no contest. Competent, professional, and level-headed. All along she knows exactly the right response to the creatures she faces: nuke the site from orbit. Everyone else ignores her and pays the price. She defined the "strong female character" archetype before it became an uncomplex cliche.

Agreed. Best part is that she's an actual rational developed character, and not just a woman who beats things up, like so many people seem to think a "strong" female character is.

The strongest female character I have ever seen is Fran Sinclair.

Spoiler

Only because she was a mother fucking dinosaur and nothing else.

dethtoll said:

I second this, because Signourney Weaver is an absolutely fabulous actress.

Hmm first two I thought of where ash and ripley, since they've been picked I'll go with Richard B. Riddick.

Marion Cobretti from the 1986 Cobra film, a badass with quite the attitude, i find it stupid that the movie got panned by critics.
Also Ash Williams, John McClane and Cheng Chao-an(Zeng Ciu-On in Cantonese Yale) from The Big Boss.

Kontra Kommando said:

Also Charles Bronson as Paul Kersey.

I've just watched a half of that video. Wow, this guy is so badass that he fires Browning M2 machine gun handheld. I mean it's .50 caliber machine gun, the recoil of that thing would be huge, making it impossible to fire accurately to even use the gun, yet this guy fires it from the hip and kills everyone no problem. :)

lil'devil said:

John Matrix from Commando. Because this.

Holy shit I was listening to Rip & Tear from the Doom soundtrack while watching this.

For me, John Wick

Pedro VC said:

Tony the Pimp from Demons

One of my favorite movies! Always good to see a Demons fan. (I love The Raid, They Live and whatnot too) [and a healthy respect for Pootie Tang]

Arnold Schwarzenegger from the original (1984) Terminator. He was so much better as the evil villain.

Also the movie poster and theme song is my favorite from any movie, ever. Though The Thing (1982) comes close.

lil'devil said:

I've just watched a half of that video. Wow, this guy is so badass that he fires Browning M2 machine gun handheld. I mean it's .50 caliber machine gun, the recoil of that thing would be huge, making it impossible to fire accurately to even use the gun, yet this guy fires it from the hip and kills everyone no problem. :)

Maybe I'll create the Charles Bronson guy sprite sheet.

dethtoll said:

Damn skippy.

A few of the already mentioned ones such as Clint Eastwood and Bruce Lee, I can't think of anyone else at this current time.

Ash. He has a chainsaw for a hand, and a double barrel shotgun, and he kills evil. Once at work a co-worker asked me if I could be a superhero, which one would I be. He said he would be Spiderman, I said Ash. He asked why. I said "Because I would have a chainsaw for a hand".